GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Colins McRally Game 3.0"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Colin McRae Rally 3'.
Wed 16/10/02 at 11:59
Regular
I'm asking this here so I don't get told of for being stupid and asking whick version is better in the sony forum.

Any hooo. Has anyone ready anything regarding the difference between the xbox and ps2 version of CMR3? Anyone know if it was developed on one and ported to the other?

What I realy want to know is wich platform should I purchase this for?

You may have the floor.
Wed 16/10/02 at 15:51
Hey FatButcher,

This is an easy one - get the Xbox version for sure. I am currently playing the Xbox CMR3 Demo, and it's amazing. It features three courses (two with rain and one with snow), each of which are graphically flawless - no popup, no jaggies, and no slowdown at all. Some of the effects are amazing, most notably the rain/snow on the window (in-car view) - you'll be amazed when you see the window wipers in action.

I have read many previews on the web and in magazines for the PS2 version, all of which state that it has framerate and popup issues to be removed before it's release. Whether or not they will be is anyones guess, but I can tell you that the Xbox Demo does not feature any problems or glitches at all. I have also read that it features improved textures over the PS2 version, which is also evident from the demo. Although I have not played the PS2 version, it is easy to see that the Xbox version has that extra layer of detail that cannot be achieved on the PS2.

A couple of other factors are the sound and control. The sound on the PS2 version is in Dolby Prologic, whilst the Xbox version is in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound. If you have a 5.1 speaker system to connect to your Xbox, this really enhances the experience. As an example of it's benefit, if you hear a bumping noise from the front right speaker, you will know that you have broken your front right wheel. The sound is still great in Pro Logic, but amazing in 5.1.

The handling in this game is spot on - the Xbox and PS2 versions are likely to be identical in this aspect. So it comes down to the controller - which is better? Again, it's no contest in my view. The Xbox controller is the best pad ever made for racing games. The control you have using the left and right triggers for acceleration and braking are unmatached on any other controller. This also allows you simultaneous access to the handbrake/gear buttons using your thumb. Compared to holding down buttons on the PS2 pad, the Xbox triggers are easily my preferred choice.

You could buy the Demo to try it for yourself, but save yourself a fiver and pre-order the Xbox version - you won't be dissapointed.
Wed 16/10/02 at 11:59
Regular
"Tag as above"
I'm asking this here so I don't get told of for being stupid and asking whick version is better in the sony forum.

Any hooo. Has anyone ready anything regarding the difference between the xbox and ps2 version of CMR3? Anyone know if it was developed on one and ported to the other?

What I realy want to know is wich platform should I purchase this for?

You may have the floor.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.