GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hype..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/04/02 at 00:05
Regular
Hype, a short word that can make something that is half decent become Godlike (Like the Xbox). Hype can make anything look good. I bet If a banana was hyped (yes, any everyday banana) that it'd become the best thing since sliced bread (sliced bread, another thing thats hyped).

Anyway, thats not what im pointing out(The bit about bananas was a space filler ;0 lol), a little under 2 years ago the PS2 was set to be released, look at the amount of hype that was surrounding that, and what did it bring...no outstanding launch titles, thats for sure. The first game that was Outstanding on the PS2 was GT3 (and since GT3 i admit there have been other great games) and even though it was class, it wouldn't have been that class in everyone's books if it wasn't for hype.

Coming back to the Xbox (and since its been hyped WAY more than GC, even though Nintendo do brag a lot) that was hyped like hell, and i doubt that it'd sold half as well as it did if it hadn't been hyped. I mean come on, £349.99, how many people are gonna pay that. If it hadn't been made by Bill Gates, had the MicroSoft brand, had Halo or had £Millions of £ spent on Advertisments everywhere It wouldn't have been half as succesful as it is. Yet when I played it instore, I didn't like any of the games apart from Halo. At one point I thought I might pick one up but im not gonna pay £395 for an Xbox and Halo because it just isn't worth it. The Xbox was created by hype

Moving on to Nintendo, they don't hype as much as other companies, They brag. David Gosen (eg):
"2002 will be the year of the Cube!"
"Gamecube is 50 euros less than PS2 and 1/2 the price of Xbox"
"If you want pure video games thats what Nintendo delivers"

All of these are classic nintendo brags. The fact is that Nintendo are arrogant, I bet Xbox will have £50 knocked off its price around the time GC comes out. The fact is that GC could have been released a lot earlier than May 3. If Nintendo wern't so Japan based and US supported, the GC could have been out this month or last, but the way Nintendo like to hype things is to keep you waiting, spreading rumours about upcoming projects.

I don't approve of hype, And I will never buy a console until ive played atleast 5 of its games. Hype makes a console look twice as good as it actually is. The reason I say this is that many people are tricked into hype, and I have been In the past. It Sucks.
Wed 03/04/02 at 12:39
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Hype can be a good thing, but only if you use it in the right ways (as you pointed out, MGS2 deserved all the hype it got). But hype can be way overrated.
Wed 03/04/02 at 00:15
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Well thanks to hype we actually get to hear about these great games.
We dont actually see bad games being hyped because they arent good basically.
MGS2 was hyped alot and it deserved every bit of it.
Consoles today deserve every bit of hype too.

Personally i like hype because its people's opinions and it is all positive.
Hype gets me excited about something and thats what everythings all about. Enjoying something. All the hype is people's opinions about something which is something they are a fan of. If you dont like the thing thats being hyped then just dont listen to it or bother about it.

Your post had the potential like this reply to be GAD worthy but i cant be bothered right now to continue and you seem to have not expressed your feelings enough on this matter for it to earn you one.

Ah well,

Hype is a good thing.
It also helps the market and developers and all the companies and everything as more products are sold and from there you know that it all gets better and better as time goes by.

how about that then?
Wed 03/04/02 at 00:05
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Hype, a short word that can make something that is half decent become Godlike (Like the Xbox). Hype can make anything look good. I bet If a banana was hyped (yes, any everyday banana) that it'd become the best thing since sliced bread (sliced bread, another thing thats hyped).

Anyway, thats not what im pointing out(The bit about bananas was a space filler ;0 lol), a little under 2 years ago the PS2 was set to be released, look at the amount of hype that was surrounding that, and what did it bring...no outstanding launch titles, thats for sure. The first game that was Outstanding on the PS2 was GT3 (and since GT3 i admit there have been other great games) and even though it was class, it wouldn't have been that class in everyone's books if it wasn't for hype.

Coming back to the Xbox (and since its been hyped WAY more than GC, even though Nintendo do brag a lot) that was hyped like hell, and i doubt that it'd sold half as well as it did if it hadn't been hyped. I mean come on, £349.99, how many people are gonna pay that. If it hadn't been made by Bill Gates, had the MicroSoft brand, had Halo or had £Millions of £ spent on Advertisments everywhere It wouldn't have been half as succesful as it is. Yet when I played it instore, I didn't like any of the games apart from Halo. At one point I thought I might pick one up but im not gonna pay £395 for an Xbox and Halo because it just isn't worth it. The Xbox was created by hype

Moving on to Nintendo, they don't hype as much as other companies, They brag. David Gosen (eg):
"2002 will be the year of the Cube!"
"Gamecube is 50 euros less than PS2 and 1/2 the price of Xbox"
"If you want pure video games thats what Nintendo delivers"

All of these are classic nintendo brags. The fact is that Nintendo are arrogant, I bet Xbox will have £50 knocked off its price around the time GC comes out. The fact is that GC could have been released a lot earlier than May 3. If Nintendo wern't so Japan based and US supported, the GC could have been out this month or last, but the way Nintendo like to hype things is to keep you waiting, spreading rumours about upcoming projects.

I don't approve of hype, And I will never buy a console until ive played atleast 5 of its games. Hype makes a console look twice as good as it actually is. The reason I say this is that many people are tricked into hype, and I have been In the past. It Sucks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.