GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I forgot how good these guys were"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/04/02 at 22:03
Regular
Rage Against The Machine.

I remember seeing this band for the 1st time on "The Word". (how many class bands appeared on that show way back when eh? We're talking 90-92? Nirvana, L7, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses, Rage, Tool_.

They were doing "Killing in The Name Of" and it blew me away. I'd never ever heard a band with such ferocious music and...well...angry singer since the MC5's with "Kick out the jams".

I went out the next day and bought the album on cassette from Our Price (cassettes used to be the big thing kids).
And it never left my stereo.
But I forgot about it, veering off into blues and jazz for a few years. But seeing as I am now revisiting the land of ROCK, I stuck this on and it punched me iu the face just as much as it did 10yrs ago.

Now, all you nu-metal people, put down the Limp Bizkit/Papa Roach/A/etc etc and go download some Rage Against The Machine.
And anyone else interested in hearing music that rages, quite literally, against the machine.
Lyrics from Zac de La Rocha. An angry, angry young man with a lot to say about everything.
But the music.
Oh sweet lord the music.
A rhytmn section from hell, and Tom Morello proving why he's one of the few guitarists that matters.
He gets sounds from his guitar that I've never heard before. (they make a point of saying "all sounds made with vocals, drums and guitars").

Go, now. Download the following:

Bombtrack
Know Your Enemy
Killing In The Name Of
Bullet in The Head.

Masterful stuff, without question.
Forget the 2nd album "Evil Empire" because it's rubbish.
They went for the politics and forgot the tunes (except for "Bulls on Parade" and "Vietnow", with the couplet 'Now I'm rolling down rodeo with a shotgun, they haven't seen a brown skinned man since they grandparents bought one').
Or go for the 3rd proper album "The Battle of Los Angeles" and listen to "New Millenium Homes".

They split up last year, the singer was disgusted at how the other band members kept going to awards ceremonies etc etc.
Zac meant it how he shouted it, not once in his 10yr time with Rage did he ever give an interview to the media.
No tv appearances, no radio promos at all.
100% hardcore committed.

I saw them at an Anti-Nazi benefit gig at the Brixton Academy back in..er...91? And it was one of the most intense gigs I've been to since.
Loud, sincere and goddamn angry.
It's not an act with Rage, it's not posturing for the video with backing singers.

It's 4 guys onstage, with Zac screaming himself red-faced to get his message across.

Shame they split, there's been none since with the power, angry and tunes that Rage Against The Machine ever had.
And no, they accepted no money from their track "Wake Up" being used in The Matrix (it's the track at the end as Neo flies away).
The record company used it and they refused any payment from the proceeds.

Go get some Rage Against The Machine and see what real shouty metal should be.
-----

My fav track is "Bullet in The Head". A warning about staying indoors and believing everything you see on tv:

"Bullet in the Head"

This time the bullet cold rocked ya
A yellow ribbon instead of a swastika
Nothin' proper about ya propaganda
Fools follow rules when the set commands ya
Said it was blue
When ya blood was read
That's how ya got a bullet blasted through ya head

Blasted through ya head
Blasted through ya head

I give a shout out to the living dead
Who stood and watched as the feds cold centralised
So serene on the screen
You was mesmerised
Cellular phones soundin' a death tone
Corporations cold
Turn ya to stone before ya realise

They load the clip in omnicolour
Said they pack the 9, they fire it at prime time
The sleeping gas, every home was like Alcatraz
And motherf###rs lost their minds

Just victims of the in-house drive-by
They say jump, you say how high

Check-a, check-a, check it out
They pack the 9, they fire it at prime time

No escape from the mass mind rape
Play it again jack and then rewind the tape
And then play it again and again and again
Until ya mind is locked in
Believin' all the lies that they're tellin' ya
Buyin' all the products that they're sellin' ya
They say jump and ya say how high
Ya brain-dead
Ya gotta bullet in ya head

Yeah

Ya standin' in line
Believin' the lies
Ya bowin' down to the flag
Wed 03/04/02 at 11:09
Regular
"not dead"
When I first heard Rage Against the Machine, I didn't like them, too noisy for me, I thought.

But when I was working in Canada, one of my friends, and roommate in the end, had their first album, and HUGE speakers.

Then I liked it.
Wed 03/04/02 at 09:47
Regular
"Back in black"
Rage against the machine... hmmm, 'WAKE UP' from the Matrix. Class tune... Yer they are a good band.
Wed 03/04/02 at 08:48
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Cornell has left Rage. It was announced about 2 weeks ago. Rumours were that they were gonna do the US leg of Ozzfest but they split.

There will be an album of the stuff they did together, but I forget what name they're going under. There have been rumours too that Cornell quit to reform Soundgarden but Matt Cameron for one has denied this.

First time I saw Rage was at Reading in '93.. absolutely blinding. There are few bands that command such attention as Rage.

Check out the Mexico City DVD too...
Wed 03/04/02 at 01:21
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Pantoffel wrote:
a) Which album do you recommend I get?

I'd say the 1st one (self-titled), just because I think it's the strongest, but that's just my opinion. And "Know your Enemy" has Maynard from Tool guest vocalling on it.

---

b) Could you give
> me 7 or 8 good songs of their's to get.

Killing in The Name Of
New Millenium Homes
Bullet in the Head
Renegades of Funk
Know your Enemy
Vietnow
Wake Up
Clear The Lane

---

The "Renegades of Funk" track is from their last album, but it's not a "proper" album, as it's all covers.
Renegades of Funk is Afrika Bambaata I think, and it's got "Kick out The Jams" as well.
Tue 02/04/02 at 23:25
Regular
SHEEPY wrote:
> Our Price? Whatever happened to that shop

They've all turned into Vshops now.

"It ain't nothing but an in house drive-by, we say jump you say how high"

Love that tune..
Tue 02/04/02 at 23:14
I'm also a Rage fan, but I have to admit that I haven't heard loads of there stuff. It's a pity that more people haven't heard of them, especially when you take into account how long they've been around. Zac De La Rocha is a damn decent singer, I agree, and there music is good when you've had a hard day's work and you just wanna sit down and listen to something that will get rid of your rage, hence their name and the genre title.

I've heard 'Bombtrack', and thought it was a good track, but it repeated a little. I've also heard 'Renegades of Funk', and that's a totally different style, one of the songs I think they did just before they split, I think it was their final single. On that track, Rocha raps like hell, and it's amazing to listen to. He throws out so many words, it's uncanny. I've heard another song, and it goes something like this:

'I do it for the family
A pocket full of shells'

Something like that anyway. As for the rest of the group, I heard that when Limp Bizkit were recieving an award, an anebriated Tom Morello climbed the scaffolding and just stood up there. As long as it was in the spirit of sarcasm to show how low LB are, I'm fine with it! :)

So Goatboy,

a) Which album do you recommend I get?
b) Could you give me 7 or 8 good songs of their's to get.

Bombtrack, Renegades of Funk, Bullet In The Head, Know Your Enemy and Killing In The Name Of.

Thanks for reminding me how highly I think of RATM.
Tue 02/04/02 at 23:11
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Our Price? Whatever happened to that shop

Anyway I have heard a few songs by them, most off Battle of Los Angeles and Evil Empire. Alright I suppose but very similar.

Renegades of Funk is superb

*Frowns Against the Machine*
Tue 02/04/02 at 22:52
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
All I know about the "New Rage" is that they're called
"Citizen"

Cornell is a damn good singer, but he cannot do the back catalogue.
The only person who could ever match it is the dude from "At The Drive-In". Very similar voice and writing style.

But grumpy Cornell should just stick to what he does best:

Lung-Busting power-vocal rock.

Not angry politi-music
Tue 02/04/02 at 22:30
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
It's treading old ground, but I really don't see how Chris Cornell is going to fit in. In fact I don't see how they can keep calling the band Rage Against the Machine.

Don't get me wrong, Sound Garden are one of my favourite bands and Cornell is a great musician. However good he might be, Zach de la Rocha he is not. I don't see Cornell abstaining from interviews or being angry or protesting about much. And that's what Rage were about. The only machine Cornell's probably gotten angry at is his car or his computer. He's hardly renowned for his political agenda.

Also there is no way that he can sing anything in Rage's back catalogue. No, sing's the wrong word, because he could probably sing them. The songs recorded with Zach de la Rocha are Zach's songs - there's really no other person that could do those songs, especially not the Cypress Hill guy they considered getting in.

So there's going to be a reduced political agenda, none of their back catalogue.. how can these guys claim to be Rage Against the Machine then? I do think the band will be good, Cornell is a great guitarist and has a great voice, and Tom Morello is a genius. But are they really going to sound anything like Rage Against the Machine?

And that's the point. Without de la Rocha they are not Rage Against the Machine and so they should drop the "brand" as Sony probably see it, and start from scratch. And please, please don't let Cornell attempt to perform any of Rage's back catalogue.
Tue 02/04/02 at 22:03
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Rage Against The Machine.

I remember seeing this band for the 1st time on "The Word". (how many class bands appeared on that show way back when eh? We're talking 90-92? Nirvana, L7, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses, Rage, Tool_.

They were doing "Killing in The Name Of" and it blew me away. I'd never ever heard a band with such ferocious music and...well...angry singer since the MC5's with "Kick out the jams".

I went out the next day and bought the album on cassette from Our Price (cassettes used to be the big thing kids).
And it never left my stereo.
But I forgot about it, veering off into blues and jazz for a few years. But seeing as I am now revisiting the land of ROCK, I stuck this on and it punched me iu the face just as much as it did 10yrs ago.

Now, all you nu-metal people, put down the Limp Bizkit/Papa Roach/A/etc etc and go download some Rage Against The Machine.
And anyone else interested in hearing music that rages, quite literally, against the machine.
Lyrics from Zac de La Rocha. An angry, angry young man with a lot to say about everything.
But the music.
Oh sweet lord the music.
A rhytmn section from hell, and Tom Morello proving why he's one of the few guitarists that matters.
He gets sounds from his guitar that I've never heard before. (they make a point of saying "all sounds made with vocals, drums and guitars").

Go, now. Download the following:

Bombtrack
Know Your Enemy
Killing In The Name Of
Bullet in The Head.

Masterful stuff, without question.
Forget the 2nd album "Evil Empire" because it's rubbish.
They went for the politics and forgot the tunes (except for "Bulls on Parade" and "Vietnow", with the couplet 'Now I'm rolling down rodeo with a shotgun, they haven't seen a brown skinned man since they grandparents bought one').
Or go for the 3rd proper album "The Battle of Los Angeles" and listen to "New Millenium Homes".

They split up last year, the singer was disgusted at how the other band members kept going to awards ceremonies etc etc.
Zac meant it how he shouted it, not once in his 10yr time with Rage did he ever give an interview to the media.
No tv appearances, no radio promos at all.
100% hardcore committed.

I saw them at an Anti-Nazi benefit gig at the Brixton Academy back in..er...91? And it was one of the most intense gigs I've been to since.
Loud, sincere and goddamn angry.
It's not an act with Rage, it's not posturing for the video with backing singers.

It's 4 guys onstage, with Zac screaming himself red-faced to get his message across.

Shame they split, there's been none since with the power, angry and tunes that Rage Against The Machine ever had.
And no, they accepted no money from their track "Wake Up" being used in The Matrix (it's the track at the end as Neo flies away).
The record company used it and they refused any payment from the proceeds.

Go get some Rage Against The Machine and see what real shouty metal should be.
-----

My fav track is "Bullet in The Head". A warning about staying indoors and believing everything you see on tv:

"Bullet in the Head"

This time the bullet cold rocked ya
A yellow ribbon instead of a swastika
Nothin' proper about ya propaganda
Fools follow rules when the set commands ya
Said it was blue
When ya blood was read
That's how ya got a bullet blasted through ya head

Blasted through ya head
Blasted through ya head

I give a shout out to the living dead
Who stood and watched as the feds cold centralised
So serene on the screen
You was mesmerised
Cellular phones soundin' a death tone
Corporations cold
Turn ya to stone before ya realise

Said they pack the 9, they fire it at prime time

Check-a, check-a, check it out
They pack the 9, they fire it at prime time

No escape from the mass mind rape
Play it again jack and then rewind the tape
And then play it again and again and again
Until ya mind is locked in
Believin' all the lies that they're tellin' ya
Buyin' all the products that they're sellin' ya
They say jump and ya say how high
Ya brain-dead

Yeah

Ya standin' in line
Believin' the lies
Ya bowin' down to the flag

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.