GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Imperfection"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/10/02 at 16:49
Regular
Perfect aren’t they. Most of them anyway, you get the odd little critter who has more chance of hurting himself than you. But on whole, most enemies in games are pretty much perfect. Having being created from the mass gene pool of perfection, these foes are out to kill you, its there mission, there purpose in life, and more often than not, the skills they have at there disposal, they can do without a shadow of a doubt, and the only way your going to get your own way is to usually try and out class them, and by outclassing them ultimately brings along the premature death of your foes.

But perfect is boring.

It’s about time that mistakes were brought into games, and by that I do not mean glitches that so readily annoy us at intervals. I mean faults in the enemy’s methods they used. These people never went to training school to get a diploma in the use of an AK74, so why is it that they can shoot it like they spent there live’s in military school. How about once in a while they leave the safety catch on, and all they can do is fumble with the gun and stare at you while your pistol fires at them right between the eyes. And not just the enemies. What about us, the ‘heroes’, why cant we be subject to the odd mistake, not by just aiming off target, how about running down a corridor and tripping over an object loosing our gun as it slides along the floor, what about in sport games, football, why not have the odd pass back in the game….or even a hand ball situation, it occurs all the time in real life, why not here.

Think about it, this could add a whole new aspect to gaming and the way we play the games. No longer do we expect the enemies to see us at a glance of 100 meters away and shoot us with such precision is un-believable. There are so many ideas that could be used.

Some games have already gone into this ground partly, the soldiers from MGS2 showed a lack of brains at times. You could run around corners and hide in the dark as they run on past totally oblivious to your position, allowing you to come out of the shadows and run off the other way. Simple things like this turn games on there head.

Look at films for example. Since when did all the enemies in then have Jedi mind skills that can sense where you are, answer; Never. So why should the people in games be the same.

Mafia is another game that takes this even further. The police, they almost act like the real things (apart from that they actually turn up at the scene of the crime pretty quickly – coppers, take note). Here, you can find your self being pursued on foot, so you leg it around the corner and see a car parked up in the road, so what do you do? You go round the other side and crouch down behind it, the cops run around, and your gone, they have lost you. Something just a simple as that can add so much fun to the games.

Life is full of mistakes, fun ones and more serious ones. Let have these put in games. Not just for fun though, how much better would it be if these mistakes had a proper impact on the game. Remember Tomb Raider? If you fell and broke your leg or neck it was game over. Thing here was that you would just start up again. What about lessening the injury, to a gunshot wound, or even just a fall and spraining your ankle. This little mistake could then hamper you for the rest of the mission, or even the rest of the game until you could get it fixed. It adds a whole new dimension to the game, and that’s just you.

The enemies could do things that put their lives in jeopardy. Why not take away their sniper like skills and have them missing their target, or even, shooting there own men by accident. You know the score, you’re in a corridor with a hoard of soldiers ahead of you cramped up and firing at you. They never hit each other do they? Why not? They should do, their mistake is your gain.

In effect, if it’s what the developers are after in their games, it can make them so much more realistic, and rather amusing. Watching your character run down a path only to slip on a rock has to be a laugh, unless you end up dieing because of it. But this could bring realism so much more further, and make those soccer games that much better too, maybe just your player miss hitting a ball, or putting too much power on it in a pass, or even the Ref getting that penalty call totally wrong, I mean, the ball wasn’t even in the box! You would be shouting at your screen as much as you do when Man Utd get there way all the time.

Life isn’t perfect.

Lets have some imperfection for a change.
Fri 18/10/02 at 15:24
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
Very good read and well done on the GAD.
Fri 18/10/02 at 15:11
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
I believe Congrats are in order Dame,

Weldone on the GAD mate

:)
Fri 18/10/02 at 10:09
Regular
The Mummy was amazing at making mistakes that totally benefited himself. He was the ultimate enemy in TimeSplitters, and a great friend I thought. He used to be able to shoot a pistol and allow his target to watch as the bullet pinged straight into the nearest wall, bounced off, hit a saucepan in the kitchen, ricochet onto the floor, bounce up again, rattle through a series of cupboards and then plant itself directly between the eyes of the unsuspecting enemy.

Grand Theft Auto 3 was also home to the idiot. You could be driving along, pursued by the police, and decide to drive near the edge of a harbour. As the police dive towards you to try and stop your car, you could brake, or accelerate to move out of the way, allowing the police car to drive happily off into the sea. That wasn`t the only easy way to get rid of cops either. Stand the opposite side of a parked car, and they`d start shooting it, then, just before it blows up, run away, and let them get torn to shreds by the explosion they themselves created.

In SSX, the opponents you face often manage to mess up their tricks. You see them ahead in the distance, leaping off the nearest cliff, and as they fly through the air, they begin to pull off an Uber Trick. Sadly for them, they mistimed their jump and don`t manage to attach their board again before landing, causing them to go tumbling along the icy slopes.

With beat `em ups like Tekken, Virtua Figher, and Dead or Alive 2, the computer knows everything. It knows exactly when you move, it knows every combination, every move, every single possibility you can imagine, and more. How does it lose? Deliberate mistakes. They stand there and "forget" to block, not realising that your raised fist was for them. Similarly when you grap their collar, throwing them to the floor was the last thing they expected... sort of. You put the difficulty level up, and the mistakes become less frequent, but they are still there.

Fur Fighters are the ultimate in stupid animals. The little stuffed muppets run around trying to shoot things, and frequently get lost. Admittedly, a lot of the "stupidity effect" comes from the fact that they make silly noises the whole time, but its still quite easy to see an enemy get confused about what its doing, and head off in a random direction looking for food. What would you do if you had feathers for a brain?

The recently released Burnout 2 is home to some rather "human" drivers. Whilst I drive along, its easy to dodge traffic, but as you press the boost button you begin to go just a little bit faster, and often find that just when you thought the road was clear, a van pulls across in front of you, causing you to crash. This happens to the AI players as well. Despite knowing exactly when every car in the game will pull out, they still manage to go headlong into other vehicles, trashing their own cars and having to restart.

Smash Court Tennis often has players who seem to miss the ball when you thought they could get it. Fair enough, if the ball is just too far away, then its no surprise that they can`t make it, but just occasionally you see a ball go betweent their legs, or just past them when you though they could have easily got their racket to it.

There are similar examples in games like Final Fantasy, Red Faction, Onimusha, Devil May Cry, Jak an Daxter and absolutely loads more, as well as Metal Gear Solid 2 which you mentioned. Mistakes are made all the time, and if they didn`t, games would be impossible to win.
Fri 18/10/02 at 09:29
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
I think a lot of the enemies in games are designed to do the same job each and everytime, it would be nice if there were some imperfection, for example things like be bribing -- deceiving their own and joining forces with the good, weve seen 'touches' of it in Prisoner of War, but not to the full extent and weve seen things like the good joinig the evil but rarely the other way round. In MGS 2 imagine if you could make friend with one of the enemny and use him for inside information and secret routes, this would also allow the games developing including secret levels in agame which the enemy only know, like air ducts, weak walls that can be blown up etc. In terms of football -- again weve seen touches of it where the ref gets some of the decisions wrong and sendings off are incorrect *sometimes* (ISS 2) but generally the referee's always right, which does get boring sometimes -- they should make this more realistic, because we all know that our beautiful game is full of refs who often give bad decions away like penalties or simply they get in the way of the action and the ball hits them etc, it would be nice to see some of this in games today.
Thu 17/10/02 at 11:39
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Hideo Kojima beat you to it.
Wed 16/10/02 at 17:37
Regular
"360: swfcman"
oasismark wrote:
> But arn't games developers striving for the opposite?

Of Imperfection? Thats my point. Everything is too perfect in the games. Surely if they were to starting using a little of the Imperfection theory we would get some new ideas and a new game play experience to play through?

> I agree the odd trip up or safety lock on would be fun once, but when
> your trapped in a corner in a hail of bullets, with 4% health left,
> your empty clip hit's the floor as you scramble for the last full
> clip, but when you slam it in, it jams and your last hours game play
> are wasted cos you have to start right back at the beginning.
> I think it would be extremely annoying.

Agreed, sometimes it could get annoying, but im sure the developers could come up with something that works for the game and us. And if not, at least the game is going to last us a fair while if we are still playing. :D
Wed 16/10/02 at 17:29
Regular
"as tha nowt moist?"
But arn't games developers striving for the opposite?

We hear there claims "enemies even fall back when out numbered and call for back up, the AI is so real"

I agree the odd trip up or safety lock on would be fun once, but when your trapped in a corner in a hail of bullets, with 4% health left, your empty clip hit's the floor as you scramble for the last full clip, but when you slam it in, it jams and your last hours game play are wasted cos you have to start right back at the beginning.
I think it would be extremely annoying.

One thing i must agree whole hartedly with is footy game mistakes.

As were both massive Pro Evo fans, you, like me, must have seen blatent hand balls, mostly when doing a sliding takle, it hits the hand but play carrys on, unbeliveable ref!!!!

I'm sure i have seen mistakes with off-sides, which is good, especially in multiplayer, cos you can argue all night about the not offside goal, that the ref gave offside for. brillient!!

And passbacks, are all to frequent, i've screamed at the tele, "PASSBACK REF", "COME ON". but no nothing given "GET YOUR *FLIPPING* GLASSES ON REF"

(are these things better in pro evo 2 anyone who's played it)

Anyway must dash home, finally got new OPS2 mag today. 10 demos woo-hoo!

bye

Mark
Wed 16/10/02 at 16:49
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Perfect aren’t they. Most of them anyway, you get the odd little critter who has more chance of hurting himself than you. But on whole, most enemies in games are pretty much perfect. Having being created from the mass gene pool of perfection, these foes are out to kill you, its there mission, there purpose in life, and more often than not, the skills they have at there disposal, they can do without a shadow of a doubt, and the only way your going to get your own way is to usually try and out class them, and by outclassing them ultimately brings along the premature death of your foes.

But perfect is boring.

It’s about time that mistakes were brought into games, and by that I do not mean glitches that so readily annoy us at intervals. I mean faults in the enemy’s methods they used. These people never went to training school to get a diploma in the use of an AK74, so why is it that they can shoot it like they spent there live’s in military school. How about once in a while they leave the safety catch on, and all they can do is fumble with the gun and stare at you while your pistol fires at them right between the eyes. And not just the enemies. What about us, the ‘heroes’, why cant we be subject to the odd mistake, not by just aiming off target, how about running down a corridor and tripping over an object loosing our gun as it slides along the floor, what about in sport games, football, why not have the odd pass back in the game….or even a hand ball situation, it occurs all the time in real life, why not here.

Think about it, this could add a whole new aspect to gaming and the way we play the games. No longer do we expect the enemies to see us at a glance of 100 meters away and shoot us with such precision is un-believable. There are so many ideas that could be used.

Some games have already gone into this ground partly, the soldiers from MGS2 showed a lack of brains at times. You could run around corners and hide in the dark as they run on past totally oblivious to your position, allowing you to come out of the shadows and run off the other way. Simple things like this turn games on there head.

Look at films for example. Since when did all the enemies in then have Jedi mind skills that can sense where you are, answer; Never. So why should the people in games be the same.

Mafia is another game that takes this even further. The police, they almost act like the real things (apart from that they actually turn up at the scene of the crime pretty quickly – coppers, take note). Here, you can find your self being pursued on foot, so you leg it around the corner and see a car parked up in the road, so what do you do? You go round the other side and crouch down behind it, the cops run around, and your gone, they have lost you. Something just a simple as that can add so much fun to the games.

Life is full of mistakes, fun ones and more serious ones. Let have these put in games. Not just for fun though, how much better would it be if these mistakes had a proper impact on the game. Remember Tomb Raider? If you fell and broke your leg or neck it was game over. Thing here was that you would just start up again. What about lessening the injury, to a gunshot wound, or even just a fall and spraining your ankle. This little mistake could then hamper you for the rest of the mission, or even the rest of the game until you could get it fixed. It adds a whole new dimension to the game, and that’s just you.

The enemies could do things that put their lives in jeopardy. Why not take away their sniper like skills and have them missing their target, or even, shooting there own men by accident. You know the score, you’re in a corridor with a hoard of soldiers ahead of you cramped up and firing at you. They never hit each other do they? Why not? They should do, their mistake is your gain.

In effect, if it’s what the developers are after in their games, it can make them so much more realistic, and rather amusing. Watching your character run down a path only to slip on a rock has to be a laugh, unless you end up dieing because of it. But this could bring realism so much more further, and make those soccer games that much better too, maybe just your player miss hitting a ball, or putting too much power on it in a pass, or even the Ref getting that penalty call totally wrong, I mean, the ball wasn’t even in the box! You would be shouting at your screen as much as you do when Man Utd get there way all the time.

Life isn’t perfect.

Lets have some imperfection for a change.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.