GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Zelda's Magic"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/04/02 at 20:12
Regular
Every single Zelda incarnation, from the NES version, to the Gameboy version, to the N64 versions, had their own uniqueness. Standardization is Miyamoto's favorite food, and my God does it taste good. The original Zelda, The Legend of Zelda, was one of the first games to offer a third-person perspective. The second offering for the NES was Zelda 2, a side-scrolling game with RPG battle elements. Link To The Past was of course an improvement over the third-person perspective. Ocarina of Time was one of the most innovative games of all time, what with the Z targeting. And Majora's Mask showered us with more innovation, with the mask transformations, Bomber's Notebook and time system.

Was Miyamoto going to do it again? Was Miyamoto going to standardize gameplay as he always does?

To put it simply: YES.

I simply told myself that those who said that the pictures didn't do justice should naff off. Because even the video sucked. I read posts saying that they were shocked and then got used to the look after watching the video a couple of times. I was even more frustrated at those people. I couldn't bare to look at the movie. But I did. Again and again and again. Everytime I watched the movie, I just kept telling myself again and again that Link was being destroyed.

And then it hit me.

What I didn't like were the graphics. But what was that first ingredient? Standardization, you say? YES! Miyamoto is an innovation-guru. Every single Zelda game, as I said before, standardized the industry in one way or another. These cel-shaded graphics are just another form of standardization.

But it doesn't stop there. It's the WAY Miyamoto used the cel-shaded graphics. The beauty in the areas that Link is exploring. The graphics are just absolutely gorgeous. When you look at the this one scene when Link jumps over an enemy, you can see how beautiful the backgrouds are. The trees look simply wonderful, and sky is amazing. The cartoon feel to the game is just unbelievable. I don't feel Zelda is 'supposed' to be this way. Zelda should be different every single time. And that's why I'm beginning to LOVE the new Zelda look. The lighting effects, the bump-mapping on the door, EVERYTHING. This game is going to be one of the most graphically impressive games of all time. For the first time in the video game industry, a video game designer is going to standardize the way graphics are portrayed.

Gameplay is the second ingredient. And by the looks of this video, it won't be any more different. This game is going to kick-butt gameplay-wise. Look at the scene where Link tip-toes past the guard. I think this is absolutely amazing, meaning that stealth has been added to the gameplay. But the stealth can be so much more. Again, Miyamoto always comes up with unique ideas. The unique idea I'm looking at is the NEED to tip-toe, as in push the controller stick slightly forward, to move stealthily. In Ocarina of Time, stealth just meant running when the enemy wasn't looking. But in this game, it looks like the AI will be smart enough to hear your footsteps!
Wed 03/04/02 at 20:19
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
I think that gameplay wise the C stick will be great, I know it sounds complicated but there have been many more control setups that were very scary!
Wed 03/04/02 at 20:06
I agree. I cant say that i wasnt dissapointed when the 'celda' look was announced though. Still, Im reserving jugment until i play it. It gonna kick anyway, If it is cel shded or not.
Wed 03/04/02 at 20:05
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Woah! That sounds absoluely amazing!!
But also too confusing - like trying to play a PS2 game with one of their pads!
Wed 03/04/02 at 19:06
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Change is good, Every Zelda has been different in some way, and Zelda GC will be know exception. I think Shigsy is going to pull out all the stops to make Zelda GC the most original and fun Zelda yet.
There was an old rumor concerning the C-Stick. The rumor explains that the C-Stick would be used to move the sword, while the analog stick moves you. Now wouldn't this be absolutely freaking amazing? Imagine not only this, but the possibilities of the L&R buttons. Certain pressure applied can either swipe the sword with force or with less force. These gameplay mechanics can possibly be implemented into the new Zelda Cube. I mean, Miyamoto is always innovating. But the thing that really strikes me is the part where Link jumps over an enemy and slashes him from behind. This is absolutely awesome. Imagine the freedom when fighting someone. You could move your sword about, swipe it at a certain force and jump around your enemies. Along with this, is the speculation about the B button that appears everytime you get hit. Apparently Link makes a wicked dodge move when this is pushed. AWESOME.
Wed 03/04/02 at 18:50
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Here's another thought....
There will soon have been a total of ELEVEN Final Fantasy games created amongst multiple formats, and each this long-running series is still seen as the only real competition for the brilliant Zelda legends.
And to keep it so succesfull, each game must have had several changes to keep it different to the last, or else no-one would keep on buying these games and the series would've ended 5 games ago!

So change is a good thing!
Wed 03/04/02 at 18:35
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Good post. And I think that this change will be good - just like all the other changes will have made the previous Zelda's great - like you said.

Without change, everything would be dull, simple and too predictable. And we all soon become bored of things we've already seen/done before!

I'm also glad to see this is a 'Celda' related topic NOT critisising it's looks! :D
Tue 02/04/02 at 20:12
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Every single Zelda incarnation, from the NES version, to the Gameboy version, to the N64 versions, had their own uniqueness. Standardization is Miyamoto's favorite food, and my God does it taste good. The original Zelda, The Legend of Zelda, was one of the first games to offer a third-person perspective. The second offering for the NES was Zelda 2, a side-scrolling game with RPG battle elements. Link To The Past was of course an improvement over the third-person perspective. Ocarina of Time was one of the most innovative games of all time, what with the Z targeting. And Majora's Mask showered us with more innovation, with the mask transformations, Bomber's Notebook and time system.

Was Miyamoto going to do it again? Was Miyamoto going to standardize gameplay as he always does?

To put it simply: YES.

I simply told myself that those who said that the pictures didn't do justice should naff off. Because even the video sucked. I read posts saying that they were shocked and then got used to the look after watching the video a couple of times. I was even more frustrated at those people. I couldn't bare to look at the movie. But I did. Again and again and again. Everytime I watched the movie, I just kept telling myself again and again that Link was being destroyed.

And then it hit me.

What I didn't like were the graphics. But what was that first ingredient? Standardization, you say? YES! Miyamoto is an innovation-guru. Every single Zelda game, as I said before, standardized the industry in one way or another. These cel-shaded graphics are just another form of standardization.

But it doesn't stop there. It's the WAY Miyamoto used the cel-shaded graphics. The beauty in the areas that Link is exploring. The graphics are just absolutely gorgeous. When you look at the this one scene when Link jumps over an enemy, you can see how beautiful the backgrouds are. The trees look simply wonderful, and sky is amazing. The cartoon feel to the game is just unbelievable. I don't feel Zelda is 'supposed' to be this way. Zelda should be different every single time. And that's why I'm beginning to LOVE the new Zelda look. The lighting effects, the bump-mapping on the door, EVERYTHING. This game is going to be one of the most graphically impressive games of all time. For the first time in the video game industry, a video game designer is going to standardize the way graphics are portrayed.

Gameplay is the second ingredient. And by the looks of this video, it won't be any more different. This game is going to kick-butt gameplay-wise. Look at the scene where Link tip-toes past the guard. I think this is absolutely amazing, meaning that stealth has been added to the gameplay. But the stealth can be so much more. Again, Miyamoto always comes up with unique ideas. The unique idea I'm looking at is the NEED to tip-toe, as in push the controller stick slightly forward, to move stealthily. In Ocarina of Time, stealth just meant running when the enemy wasn't looking. But in this game, it looks like the AI will be smart enough to hear your footsteps!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.