GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"JavaScript changing registry??"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/04/02 at 18:26
Regular
I just read an article in a newspaper - I think it was the Guardian - that was about JavaScript being put to bad use.

It claimed that JavaScript can be used to change your registry, and some sites used it to permanently change your homepage, so that even when you edit it, it still returns to the one they set after reboot!

Surely this is a load of crap??

I know JavaScript can be used to make pop up windows, minimise windows, bring up a new window after you close one by using 'onUnload', write cookies, or even automatically add a site to your favourites in some versions of IE... but I've never heard it's so insecure that you can change someone's registry!!

And even if it did change your homepage registry setting, surely that's exactly what changing your homepage manually does - after all, the registry is where it *stores* that setting. So how could it permanently change it? The change would just be overwritten!

Someone tell me they were talking rubbish. Please :-)
Tue 02/04/02 at 18:26
I just read an article in a newspaper - I think it was the Guardian - that was about JavaScript being put to bad use.

It claimed that JavaScript can be used to change your registry, and some sites used it to permanently change your homepage, so that even when you edit it, it still returns to the one they set after reboot!

Surely this is a load of crap??

I know JavaScript can be used to make pop up windows, minimise windows, bring up a new window after you close one by using 'onUnload', write cookies, or even automatically add a site to your favourites in some versions of IE... but I've never heard it's so insecure that you can change someone's registry!!

And even if it did change your homepage registry setting, surely that's exactly what changing your homepage manually does - after all, the registry is where it *stores* that setting. So how could it permanently change it? The change would just be overwritten!

Someone tell me they were talking rubbish. Please :-)
Tue 02/04/02 at 21:57
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I wouldn't have thought JavaScript could have done that.

Maybe the writers of this article are getting mixed up with VBScript, or Active X.
Tue 02/04/02 at 22:11
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Generally speaking Javascript doesnt have access to anything like the file system, registry etc.. Inevitably though people have found security holes, ie ways to write to the registry directly and so on. Patches are usually released to correct the exploits when they're found though. Problem is, alot of people don't bother updating hence they are still vulnerable to alsorts of stuff.

Having said that, I dont really believe you need to live in fear of every site you visit that has Javascript.

-G
Tue 02/04/02 at 22:14
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
And as an example...

http://www.securiteam.com/exploits/5FP080A5FM.html

That one uses activeX and javascript
There are plenty more though... :)

-G
Thu 04/04/02 at 14:41
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Sun JavaScript (JavaScript != Java) cannot in any way write to the filesystem, including the registry, except for cookies which are very secure. This is probably a hole in IE's distribution of JavaScript that somehow allows this to happen, bloody Microsoft, but even then I really don't think this is possible.
Thu 04/04/02 at 21:08
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Sun JavaScript (JavaScript != Java) cannot in any way write to the filesystem,
> including the registry, except for cookies which are very secure. This is
> probably a hole in IE's distribution of JavaScript that somehow allows this to
> happen, bloody Microsoft, but even then I really don't think this is possible.

Strange then microsoft, netscape and numerous other browser developers have been issuing patches for security holes that don't exist. Of course, its the implementations that are usually flawed rather than the language itself but the result is the same.

-G
Thu 04/04/02 at 21:33
Regular
Javascript is pretty good, i find it very useful and secure although there are more errors in it then HTML. Has anyone noticed on every geocities site theres an error, thats because of the bad javascript!
Thu 04/04/02 at 23:57
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Oh, I thought it was a Netscape-specific. Does it say an error on IE too then?
Fri 05/04/02 at 21:09
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
> Oh, I thought it was a Netscape-specific. Does it say an error on IE too then?

Yeh, stupid geocities.....
Sat 06/04/02 at 00:08
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Oh, how reassuring.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.