GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Starbook Laptop"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/04/02 at 17:49
Regular
I'm currently on the hunt for my first laptop, and come accross the IRIDIUM STARBOOK C-900 for £799.99

Just wondering if theres anyone who has bought this who can tell me what they think about it, and if they are happy with it. I've seen one at dixons online, a GERICOM T3 for £650...

But cant make up my mind, to go for that or save up the extra £150 and go for the STARBOOK.

Any info, advice would be greatful.

Regards,
Nick G
Tue 02/04/02 at 17:49
I'm currently on the hunt for my first laptop, and come accross the IRIDIUM STARBOOK C-900 for £799.99

Just wondering if theres anyone who has bought this who can tell me what they think about it, and if they are happy with it. I've seen one at dixons online, a GERICOM T3 for £650...

But cant make up my mind, to go for that or save up the extra £150 and go for the STARBOOK.

Any info, advice would be greatful.

Regards,
Nick G
Tue 02/04/02 at 20:10
Regular
"Wasting away"
www.apple.com/uk/ibook
Tue 02/04/02 at 20:20
Regular
"How Handy."
I wouldnt recommend an iBook to someone unless they were clued up about computers a bit, because getting support is difficult (just had my uncle on the phone asking about his G4 mac).

I dont know anything about the Starbook, but I really rate Dell laptops, they're not incredible cheap, but they are well priced, come with loads of features, and are very relliable. I love mine.
Tue 02/04/02 at 21:02
wow wow dont get me wrong, im not a beginner. I've been using a pc for nearly 5 years. But i seem to spend more and more time on the thing, so it would be great to not be stuck in one place all the time. Which is why a laptop would come in handy, cos i'm not limited to one location.

Do most laptop's now-a-days come with a network port and USB ports.

I saw one in dixons today, 1200mhz, 256mb ram, dvd and cd-rewriter. for just under £800 which seems really good value. But seeing that it's not listed on their website. I think it's just a store offer.
Tue 02/04/02 at 22:13
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I think you shoukld get a trolley for your beloved desktop pc, leave it and it shall curse you.
On the other hand, Laptops are good, I don't have one, I don't think they're worth it + I have broadband, and if I used the laptop 5 metres away from the modem the cable wouldn't reach, and i'd be internetless, which would suck.

Also Laptops aren't too hot on games, so...
Build your own pc, i'm pretty sure you could build a 2Ghz Pc 256Mb ram and a Gefore3 Gfx card for under £800, with a tasty looking 17" monitor.

Get another desktop pc, g'won.
Tue 02/04/02 at 23:19
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Dell laptops are the best.

The problem with laptops, is just how quickly they go out of date. My dad has a Dell laptop, and only got it about last year. Already, it is only 400mhz, and is struggling to run newer programs.

Luckily, his work gave him it. And they always give him a new one if it becomes too old. He has had about three, in the space of 5 years! :D
Wed 03/04/02 at 09:52
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
They don't go out of date any more than Desktops, they're just harder to upgrade, battery life used to be a problem, I think you can get some that last for around 10 hours now, not bad.
Wed 03/04/02 at 12:42
I have a psone and a px2 for playing games, so i dont really use pc's for games.

Interesting what fogmaster said, but if your near a power point you might as well use that insead of the battery.

Also, does the battery get charged at the same time, as using the ac power adapter.
Wed 03/04/02 at 15:16
Regular
"How Handy."
Yeah, mine does anyway. Still recommend Dell..

Also, didnt mean you were a beginner, was just saying unless you do know loads, wouldnt recommend an iBook..
Wed 03/04/02 at 16:44
Regular
"Wasting away"
Whooo! wrote:
I wouldnt recommend an iBook to someone unless they were clued up about computers a bit, because getting support is difficult (just had my uncle on the
phone asking about his G4 mac).

- - -

I'm actually quite surprised that the link is still there. Anyways, the iBook isn't hard to use. I'm no pro with computers, but it didn't take me too long to get used to OS X and I think it's much better then a PC. It's just a shame that Microsoft are such gits and nothing is compatible. Not even transfer is compatible.

So, if you want games and love your PC, get a Dell, like Whooo! said. Worst thing about PCs, is how quickly they go out of date, whilst Macs will last you for years to come. I just can't wait for the G5.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.