GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cubes and spheres or squares and circles?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/10/02 at 20:24
Regular
Looking back to the past I can see so many excellent 2D titles that are classics. And now I can see amazing 3D platformers that are classics. Now I wonder is it worth keeping our 2D games as well as our 3D? Are they just as good? Can we do without Sonic and his 2D adventures? Well can you?
Here is my opinion in what I call "Battle Of The Gods."

Graphics

Well obviously 3D wins this hands down but when looking at Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and Crash Bandicoot I feel that they are just not as good looking as the 2D adventures of Sonic and Knuckles and Donkey Kong Country. They were bright, colourful and quite detailed. But then again games like Super Mario Sunshine and Jak And Daxter look colourful and full of so much detail as well.

3D on graphics: 10/10
2D on graphics: 07/10

Music and SFX

I always loved the tunes on 2D games. Whether it was Streets Of Rage or Super Mario Bros. I always found myself humming them constantly. Okay so the are nothing like the high quality you get today but they didn't need to be. They were effective as they were. 3D graphics do have all the pop and heavy metal music to go along with playing the game but they're not as good as the 2D music. Tunes like "Escape From The City" on Sonic Adventure 2 are great but I prefer the 2D music.

3D on music: 08/10
2D on music: 09/10

Obviously the 3D wins this round on SFX as we have the technology to do it now. Not much I can say.

3D on SFX: 09/10
2D on SFX: 06/10

Controls

I think 2D wins this. They were simple, easy to learn and fun to use all the way through. Sonic had his spin, jump and run which was great. Now he has power bounce, light dash and other moves which ruins it a little. But having new moves can be fun to use. The handling was also very tight for 2D games which made it great fun to play but then again so is the 3D games.

3D on controls: 08/10
2D on controls: 09/10

Lifespan

When looking at Sonic 1 right through to 3 I notice that they were very short games. But more importantly is the fact that even though I completed it once, I found myself playing it 100 more times. It was intensely fun. But then again Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario Bros. 3 were long games too. 3D also has it's fair share of long games too. Mario 64 and Sonic Adventure were long fun games. But Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin were quite short games with no feeling of making you want to play them again which lets the lifespan down a little.

3D on lifespan: 07/10
2D on lifespan: 09/10

Originality

Well being as 2D platforming began the life of Sonic and Mario I think that 2D wins on this hands down although we have seen Super Monkey Ball and a few others which are totally original. Now 3D games are all sequels I find. But the main reason for this I think is that it's getting a lot harder to think of new games. They've all been done, so you have to cut the developers a little slack.

3D on originality: 08/10
2D on originality: 10/10

Multiplayer

Of course 3D games wins this as Monkey Ball, Smackdown and so many others have been played by millions and are the best parts of a game. But 2D games had a few good multiplayer games like Micro Machines and Sonic 2. No where near as good as 3D though.

3D on Multiplayer: 10/10
2D on multiplayer: 07/10

Overall

I'm sorry to disappoint a lot of you but... I think that... 2D games are better than 3D. I'm sorry. They were original, addictive, had great music and were totally fun. I'm not saying 3D games are rubbish or anything as multiplayer games in 3D are much better, it's just that I like the older games better. Call me old fashioned. Well go on, call me it, but I like the Sonic series and Streets Of Rage.

Well there you have it. My verdict on the 3D and 2D battle. Now I know my opinion on 2D gaming being better than 3D may be different to yours but all I'm trying to say is remember where Mario and Sonic originated. If it weren't for 2D gaming we'd have no Super Mario Sunshine or GTA: Vice City.

Thanks for reading
Fri 18/10/02 at 16:17
Yeah you ANUS! I wasn't fully awake that night, soz.
Thu 17/10/02 at 22:51
Regular
"bit of a brain"
You missed out the BI. Say sorru to ^ANUbiS^
Thu 17/10/02 at 22:32
Regular
:cD

I said "Is The Eliminator that person called ^ANUS^?"
Thu 17/10/02 at 21:48
Regular
"Far Beyond Metal"
"The Eliminator" wrote:
> DW wrote:
> He's called Anus, right?
> Yeah?

huh?!
Thu 17/10/02 at 21:47
DW wrote:
> He's called Anus, right?
Yeah?
Thu 17/10/02 at 21:45
Regular
He's called Anus, right?
Thu 17/10/02 at 21:39
Regular
"bit of a brain"
We all know who you are anyway.
Thu 17/10/02 at 21:34
I think i'll be more popular as "The Eliminator" than my other nickname.
Thu 17/10/02 at 21:31
Regular
"Far Beyond Metal"
"The Eliminator" wrote:
> Jericho15 wrote:
> "The Eliminator" wrote:
> AHHHH, look at all the n00bs stick up for one another.
>
> Hate to break it to ya, but your name is in red too!!
> But my mind is that of a regular though and you know it.

Yeah, true!
Thu 17/10/02 at 21:30
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
The 2D platform genre is something that has been vanished to minigames and I feel it deserves more. It is the begining of all the favourite characters in todays games, mario, Donkey Kong etc
I feel they should be given a huge revamp and be re-released anf perhaps todays generation of gamers can see how the last generation appreciated 2D platforms!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.