GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games, Alcohol and You"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/10/02 at 03:06
Regular
Disclaimer:
This thread is aimed strictly at Gameaday forum members who are at least 18 years of age, or members who are tall, cunning or daring enough to purchase alcohol in an illegal manner. Dark Mark™ Entertainment Inc does not accept responsability for any injuries, illnesses or inconvenient and / or embarrassing outcomes of playing videogames while under the influence of alcohol. Any attempt to take legal action against Dark Mark™ Entertainment Inc will result in wedgies and / or bruised "special areas".

-
-
-

You know the scenario, right? You've been out clubbing or whatever, gotten yourself totally drunk off your head, and you've had a few coffees just to sober you up a bit... but you're one of those "could party all freakin' night" kinda people, so you're not in the least bit tired, despite the fact that it's 2am and you've been drinking and "attempting" to woo the lay-deez (ie. standing a fair distance away from them and looking at their legs, breasts and backsides, while saying things like "phwaaaarrr!") since 8pm the evening before. So what do you do when this situation arises? Well, what I usually do if I'm not drunk and tired is go back out and try harder. But, as some of you may know, the legs can sometimes disagree with the brain; resulting in extreme staggering (due to half-drunkedness), meaning that sitting down is the best thing to do (if, of course, you haven't already fallen down and cracked your head open on the mantel piece). And while you're sitting down, there's no better thing to do than to play videogames.

Now, this might sound like a completely pointless thing to do considering your senses have been cut down by a third, but it can actually be quite interesting. Firstly, it tests your hardcore gaming abilities to the max; truly pushing your abilities to push buttons at the right time to their absolute limits... however, there is one simple thing to take into consideration: the games you play. Choosing the games that you engage in while you're uttering random - and frankly, disturbing - phrases at the imaginary lemur purched on your TV can make or break your social status within your group of friends.

Below are a few games that you should NOT attempt to play while drunk.

- Extreme G 3 -
Ha! Play this game at your own risk. If you can actually find the control stick, the accelorator AND the extra buttons needed to pull of turbos and fire weapons.... you haven't got a hope in hell of being able to incorporate all these requirements into your game and pull off even 11th place; even before the game reaches the speed of sound. Avoid this like you avoided school dinners and Granny's wrinkly lips.

- Pokémon Puzzle League -
If you drank yourself unconscious as recent as four hours ago, then you're not going to get very far with this. Even if you start off on the very slowest level and attempt to gradually ease yourself into the tense, sweat-inducing slaughter of the quicker levels, by level 5 your brain will probably burn; nudged (or to be more precise, violently shoved) by your elavated blood-alcohol level The plus side of being totally sloshed while playing this game is that you'll be too drunk to take any notice of the numerous authentic, yet downright annoying, Pokémon chants, calls and James' "ooooh! I feel dizzy!" remarks.

- Pokémon Snap -
While the gameplay is painfully slow (which is no doubt a good thing after you've downed a few dozen pints of whatever that fat, bald guy was drinking), your attempts at playing Pokémon Snap while half-blinded aren't going to give you much to brag about. I mean, come on... be honest with yourself. Are you seriously going to be able to take nice snapshots of those "lovable" little critters in your current condition? I think not. It's more than likely that you'll end up with 60 photographs of the sea, your feet or a Pikachu's yellow furry backside.

- Tetris -
Tetris remains totally unplayable mainly due to all the same reasons as Puzzle League; the requirement to place blocks in exact positions and be able to keep up with some insanely fast speeds later on... best leave this alone until at least midday tomorrow, eh?

- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater -
These digitised "radical" skater chaps get enough cuts, scrapes, bruises and fractured skulls without a drunken lout (ie. you, yes you!) coming along and taking control of them. There are too many buttons combinations to remember, and you won't have the manual dexterity or quick reflexes needed to pull off any tricks.... and that includes the Ollie. Leave Tony and chums to "get phat" on their own.

Now that I've given you some of the games you'll need to avoid, here are a few games that you migth just have a chance of attaining some glory on while your head is spinning and your breath tastes like vomit:

- Destruction Derby -
A wise and obvious choice, Destruction Derby is one of the few games that relies on your ability to drive like a maniac. And, driving like a maniac is a certain skill that drunk people seem to be able to grasp with a minimum amount of both fuss and effort. Just accelorate and see what happens.

- Doshin the Giant -
Now this is one brilliant game to play while you're heavily intoxicated. The process of growing big no matter what you do - be it good or bad - means that if you can't pick up trees and help the villagers out (which is likely), then you can at least earn points and grow bigger by stumbling around in a daze, while stamping all over the villagers and flattening houses into the soil. It's win, freakin' win, baby!

- Resident Evil -
"Whoa!" That's the word I hear you shout. How can you possibly play a game as complex and puzzle oriented as Resident Evil? Well, you're obviously not going to do well, as your Hooch-intoxicated brain cell(s) won't be able to produce even an eighth of the brain power needed to overcome Resident Evil's puzzles. But, it's a chance for gamers who are queasy and / or scared by digitised gore to play Resident Evil without throwing up 42 bags of peanuts or ending up mentally scarred for life and acquiring the constant company of Betty Ford.

- Super Monkey Ball -
SEGA's simian-stuffed masterpiece is devilishly difficult, and not the sort of game that you'd expect to be able to play whilst sloshed. But, Monkey Ball is so ridiculously tricky, that it wouldn't make much difference if you were drunk, limbless and had the TV switched off. In fact, you might even do better now than you could when you were sober.

- Super Smash Bros Melee -
Your only chance at this game is to set a single CPU opponent to level 1, and put them as some crappy character like Ness, Jigglypuff or Pichu so you have some chance of knocking them out... while you yourself play as someone like Bowser, Donkey Kong or Ganondorf; heavy beggars who couldn't be knocked out without the help of a wrecking ball. You'll also want to play in an arena where it's not easily achievable to simply walk off the edge of the playing area; Yoshi's Story, Pokémon Stadium and Final Destination are best avoided. Finally, turn off all the items. You won't have the ability to line up your character with any items in order to pick them up, so you might as well get rid of them althogether.

-
-
-

"Games, Alcohol and You" was a public awareness broadcast brought to you by Dark Mark™ Entertainment Inc, sponsored by Tampax™.

"Games, Alcohol and You", the "Games, Alcohol and You" logo, "Dark Mark™ Entertainment Inc" and the "Dark Mark™ Entertainment Inc" logo are all registered trademarks of Dark Mark™ Entertainment Inc, ™ and © 2002. All rights reserved.
Mon 21/10/02 at 02:50
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
I vaguely remember writing something on here, on thursday night.

Goldeneye was a favourite game for us to play last year in the halls in the evening, most of the time played sober and occasionaly drunk, even when I was drunk I still had the edge over my friends as I knew most of the levels from memory and I was the only one who knew how to circle strafe.
The other game we would play while drinking would be fifa 2001, we would take turns at playing halves we would start playing at about 7.30 after drink had been purchased for the night then we would alternate drinking and playing until it was time to go out to a house party or a club.
the more alcohol that was consumed the better we got at the game.
Sun 20/10/02 at 21:15
Regular
"Remember me?"
DW wrote:
> Dark Mark wrote:
> Depends on "da mood".
>
> Brain: Please no!
>
> DW: Ummm...indeed!

You pay too much attention to your brain. I don't pay any attention to mine. And look at me, man. Now I DRIVE the school bus!!! :-D
Sat 19/10/02 at 23:15
Regular
Dark Mark wrote:
> Depends on "da mood".

Brain: Please no!

DW: Ummm...indeed!
Sat 19/10/02 at 23:06
Regular
"Remember me?"
DW wrote:
> First of all it's kiddo, now it's buddy. Whatever next,
> doodledeedoodledum?

Depends on "da mood".
Sat 19/10/02 at 23:04
Regular
Dark Mark wrote:
> LMFAO! Well you owed me, buddy.

First of all it's kiddo, now it's buddy. Whatever next, doodledeedoodledum?
Sat 19/10/02 at 22:59
Regular
"Remember me?"
DW wrote:
> There, replied! Happy?

LMFAO! Well you owed me, buddy.
Sat 19/10/02 at 22:56
Regular
There, replied! Happy?
Sat 19/10/02 at 22:26
Regular
"Remember me?"
Kyz22 wrote:
> Here are a few games I have enjoyed playing whilst heavliy drunk

> - Carmageddon (running over zombie pedestrians has never been so
> fun)

LOL! Do you work for SCi? LOL! And LOL once more!
Sat 19/10/02 at 22:18
Regular
"Remember me?"
>JC941< wrote:
> V.funny indeed..... us special reserve folk need more comedy....and u
> being the provider.... 1 up from jc ;D

I'll have to get my brain in gear (and out of queer).
Sat 19/10/02 at 22:15
Regular
"hit the road jack"
V.funny indeed..... us special reserve folk need more comedy....and u being the provider.... 1 up from jc ;D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.