GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Resident evil Vs Eternal Darkness"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/10/02 at 15:58
Regular
We have already been informed by Silicon Knights that Eternal Darkness is NOT a rip off of Resident Evil but I am faced with a dilema. Should I trade my copy of Resi Evil for a copy of Eternal Darkness or should I wait a month and get Eternal Darkness late? I have finished resident evil but I know there is alot more gameplay left in it, however the lure of a brand new game is tempting. What do you think I should do!?
Thu 17/10/02 at 20:15
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Parr wrote:
> Eternal Darkness will set a new standard for the Thriller Genre

Lets hope so!
Thu 17/10/02 at 19:58
Regular
"^_^"
Eternal Darkness will set a new standard for the Thriller Genre
Thu 17/10/02 at 18:23
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Etarnal Darkness all the way. Resi is krubbish.
Thu 17/10/02 at 18:04
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Cyclone wrote:
> 1st November.

Cheers Cyclone Ill go and get it on release
Thu 17/10/02 at 17:36
Regular
"gsybe you!"
1st November.
Thu 17/10/02 at 17:23
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Kyz22 wrote:
> Parr or Whitestripes, have either of you played Resident evil yet? Im
> dying to know what its like! I will buy in on the UK release date
> then, which is next friday right?

Sorry about that! What an idiot I am - I meant Eternal Darkness, sorry bout this!
Thu 17/10/02 at 17:03
Regular
"gsybe you!"
What - ED?

;)

------------

I shall eat you little monkeys!
Thu 17/10/02 at 17:01
Regular
WWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

Sorry, that was just an outburst of some of the energy I've built up for this game..
Thu 17/10/02 at 16:56
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Er.......Resi came out a while ago......in September. Anyhoo.

----------

Eternal Darkness -

A 3-D, free floating camera game, in which players must travel through 12 different time periods, uncovering the mysteries within. Basicly, the 'Ancients' are unhappy, and are coming back to destroy humanity. Starting as Alex Roivas, you must find the 'Tome Of Eternal Darkness' and uncover the secrets behind it, and therefore the other characters stories, hidden away in the past.

The game features many cool elements. Weapons 'correct' to the time period, from Assault rifles to double machettes and other nasty implements such as that feature, with which you blow-up/dismemeber horrible zombies and other foul fiends. The infamous Sanity Meter also plays a large role. See to much evil stuff (and from what I've seen, there is a hell of a lot) and you will go insanse, suffering hallaucinations, and rather grisly side effects, from limbs exploding (but only in 'your mind') to all your items dissapearing. Fortunatly, you can solve this by killing enemies - this puts a larger emphasis on comabat than Resident Evil, in which you can normaly just run away from enemies. A feature that I am particularly looking forwards to is the 'Magick' system. By finding runes, tablets and scriptures, you cna create spells - and have them spoken out loud - to cause all manner of effects. This undoubtedly creates a lot of freedom in the game.

Graphicly this game looks lovely, but not as stunning as Resident Evil. It does however, have moving a camera, and this increases the freedom of the game. It also features lovely music and sound effects, and the general atmosphere is of one of almost genuine horror. The story also seems a lot more far reaching than Resi - I'm not saying Reisdent Evils story is bad (its far from that!) but ED seems to have a larger scale, a more epic feel to its narrative. A few donwsides appear to exist - the lack of outdoors locations from what I've seen could be a bit limiting. However, the huge range of settings, characters, weapons, and above all, its epic storyline make this game look pretty damn good, and along with all its cool features, I would say this is an essential purchase. Get a Game DVD and watch it! (If you're not sure, play it - I haven't, this is based on my perception...ah well!)

---------

Resident Evil

Like I said, this came out last month. Its a brilliant game. Playing as one of two characters, you investigate a large spooky mansion, killing evil fiends as you go. The first thing to say is the aesthetics. The best ever. The music and sound are almost perfect, and the visuals are nothing short of breathtaking. However, this comes at a price- namely fixed camera angles. While this increases the horror movie feel, it also limits the perception of freedom, but not to a damaging extent.

The game first came out on PS agaes ago, and has been fully revamped, with 70% new areas and lots of new stuff. Weapons such as the shotgun and magnum feature, but this game is far more survival based than ED - you simply have to conserve ammo for larger enemies, otherwise you will end up dead. The story is excellent - A STARS team goes missing, another one searches, gets mangled..you escape..etc. With 10 different endings it also has plenty of replay value, if not much life after the first completion, in temrs of length. The game is also very puzzle based, but once you've cracked it, its in your brain forever, so another play becomes a lot quicker, thereby increasing your rating. Excellent cut-scenes also add to the atmosphere, with some of the coolest effects used, almost direct from the horror genre of film.

A few gripes exist again. The controls are poor - but if you get used to them, they turn out to be absoloutely fine. Another gripe is the emphasis on linearity - there is very little scope for your own methods of completion, except for the excellent V-Jolt idea and suchlike. Discarding that, however, the game is brilliant, with a terrific atmosphere, and a much smaller scale story than ED. It also places less emphasis on combat (but still enough) and more on exploration and discovery of the horrors in the house and courtyard, and residence..and so on.

Excellent game - Out now, with sequels to follow (and a new prequal out first!)

---------

So. Both games are either playing or looking excellent. I reccommend both -ED just looks so good, and I know Resi is for a fact. Trouble is, if you are low on cash which.......? I'd say ED, as I prefer a larger story and more variety, but really its up to you...........

:)
Thu 17/10/02 at 16:18
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Parr or Whitestripes, have either of you played Resident evil yet? Im dying to know what its like! I will buy in on the UK release date then, which is next friday right?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.