GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cell Shading. Why oh Why?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/10/02 at 20:03
Regular
I have to express my feeling on cell shading, I think I can sum it up in a word as "terrible." Graphics today are amazing, they are near-real and yet cell shading is used in games previously credited for its supreme graphics. I think the gameplay will remain but the graphics will be unsuited. Cell shading does look good in cartoony style games, like Simpsons road rage, Point and Click's like "return to monkey island" etc but it is not the way forward for all games. Does anyone agree?
Fri 18/10/02 at 13:37
Regular
"aliens exist"
amen,
Fri 18/10/02 at 03:29
"Stupid Newbie :D"
Thankyou very much Kyz, you've actually just reminded me of a question I was going to ask. So off I go to post. ;)
Fri 18/10/02 at 03:27
"Stupid Newbie :D"
Cel-shade can look very polished and cutting edge provided it's done well, otherwise it can look complete and utter puke (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and that CS first person shooter I forget the name of), all depends on the talent of the designers. Certainly no need to ask why it's used in my opinion.

Take Sly Racoon, the new Zelda (although not Link, as he looks complete crap compared to the rest of the game and creatures), the Jet Set/Grind Radio series... they all look very nice because time was put into them.

The other benefits of using the render method are things such as field of view. If you take any normal 3D game, and standing still, try to look as far as possible you'll notice that items, characters and scenery aren't clearly noticeable the closer they get to the horizon - they all blend together at a distance. In a cel-shade game everything is clearly defined by it's cartoon style renering, so you can usually see *everything* upto and including the horizon line, and generally the graphics look a lot more crisp and clear. It's all just a case of how well you can pull it off, and whether it's pertinent to the genra of game you're making, or you're extremely talented and can make it work with any. Because at present, too many developers are nowhere near that talented, but try to use it in everything anyway - and the result is something that looks nasty.
Thu 17/10/02 at 22:01
Regular
"the graphics aren't 'cel-shaded', as the term goes, because cell-shaded graphics are basically two-dimensional, framed by a black outline, like a cartoon. Here, the visuals are solid and three-dimensional, but very stylised."

Now go and look at screen shots of Jet Set Radio and Zelda.
Thu 17/10/02 at 22:01
Regular
Whitestripes wrote:
> Don't argue with me.
>
> I know all Ninty.

Cant we just be freinds?
Thu 17/10/02 at 21:52
Regular
Don't argue with me.

I know all Ninty.
Thu 17/10/02 at 21:51
Regular
Whitestripes wrote:
> Zelda don't have cell shaded graphics
>
> Cell shading is in 2D, Zelda is 3D.
>
> It's similar, but not the same.

incorrect. sorry to brake it to you, but its true
Thu 17/10/02 at 21:45
Regular
Zelda don't have cell shaded graphics

Cell shading is in 2D, Zelda is 3D.

It's similar, but not the same.
Thu 17/10/02 at 21:21
Regular
ive seen the graphics for the new zelda game, and they really are very good. I agree, if not done properly, cell shading can ruin a games graphics, but usually alot of care is taken with it and the game ends up looking like a really polished piece of so called "eye candy"
Thu 17/10/02 at 21:16
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Most games that use cell-shading don't look too good, but the cell shading on Jet Set Radio Future is amazing - when done properly, cell shading can be effective

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.