GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"'Adult' Gaming"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/04/02 at 19:24
Regular
What makes a game ‘adult’?

Is it a massive amount of blood and gore? Is it the ability to shoot or run down everything in sight? Whilst your perception of ‘adult’ games may fit that profile, I don’t think that it is. Whilst the content may certainly be adult in that it is not suitable for children, I think that even a child can point a control stick in a certain direction and press a button to shoot someone. You think you have to be an adult, or have a certain intellect and intelligence to do that? Think again.

I myself can’t give you an exact definition of what makes a game ‘adult’. I think it may have something to do with ‘feel’ (stop giggling at the back), and what you perceive to be ‘adult’. One thing I am pretty sure of though is that it has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of blood, guts, guns, puke, crap, swearing or naked flesh involved. You know what I think are two games are prime examples of ‘adult’ games?

Mario and Zelda.

You’re probably laughing at me now, thinking ‘but they’re kiddies games’ but hear me out. If you examine the demographics of Mario sales against a game like Soldier of Fortune, you’ll probably find that 18 rated games sell best amongst youngsters (who can show off to their mates about their latest game where you can shoot individual limbs off etc.) whereas games like Mario sell in both. When your’re an adult, you want a little more than just mindless killing. I think that Nintendo more than anyone, and especially though their two flagship titles, understand how to treat a proper gamer They seem to be the only ones who understand what makes a game great, treating players with a healthy respect, and rewarding intelligent, thoughtful play with intelligent (and often ingenious) set pieces. You are required to think – both literally and laterally – and use a large portion of your brain to work out the taxing problems that always seem achievable despite their difficulty.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not criticising FPS of games like GTA3, because they have their own merits and their own particular uses, I just don’t see them as adult games. In the right context, a splash of claret and the chance to fire off a few rounds is fine, but increasingly developers are hiding behind mindless violence and controversial topics as a smokescreen for the fact that, behind the blood and the press outrage, the game isn’t actually that good, its just included in a pitiful attempt to boost sales. Games like Carmageddon have always been unmitigated rubbish, but have always sold stacks of copies off of being controversial. It’s a shame really – games like Ico will probably be undeservedly outsold by trash like that Hooligan game.

With the next generation of games upon us there is a real opportunity to move gameplay forward, but it seems that few developers are content to do that. With skill, dark content can be dealt with effectively, as shown by Metal Gear Solid 2 and Perfect Dark. But to me ‘adult’ games are not ones with blood and guts but contain proper puzzle and gameplay more befitting of an adult.

Thanks for reading

Russell
Thu 04/04/02 at 07:08
Regular
I agree, but somewhere inside the mire of mediocrity there are gems, you just gotta find them
Wed 03/04/02 at 18:46
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
RM18 wrote:
> That's the way it should be - its unfortunate we get bogged down sometimes by
> the unnecessary spam

indeed, I prefer to read something long and interesting, and leave them feedback, unfortunatly not many people on here can be bothered.
Wed 03/04/02 at 18:36
Regular
That's the way it should be - its unfortunate we get bogged down sometimes by the unnecessary spam
Wed 03/04/02 at 18:24
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Thanks.

I'll always have something detailed & decent to say in good topics.
Wed 03/04/02 at 18:22
Regular
Sure, I'll do it now, and a proper one too since you devoted so much time to replying to mine
Wed 03/04/02 at 18:21
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
RM18 wrote:
> Oh right, thanks...I think

:D

RM18 do you fancy replying to my topic too?

"Romance is not dead"

Wed 03/04/02 at 18:14
Regular
Oh right, thanks...I think

Wed 03/04/02 at 18:13
RM18 wrote:
> Thanks for your kind words

Wierd Kid, what does 'pop' actually mean?

Pop to the top?

I was just trying to move the topic up the page.
Wed 03/04/02 at 18:12
Regular
Thanks for your kind words

Wierd Kid, what does 'pop' actually mean?
Wed 03/04/02 at 18:09
Pop

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.