GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best ever official controller?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/10/02 at 15:39
Regular
Having recently had a brief discussion in another thread regarding the N64 controller vs PS2/Xbox/GC controllers, I thought I would start a new topic to see what everyones thoughts are on their favourite official controller of all time. Here are my thoughts on the ones I have used in recent times:

SNES Pad: Although this one is old now, I had to comment on it as it was one of the best controllers ever made. Still has the best D-pad to this day.

N64 Pad: This was a brilliant controller - the first to introduce the analogue stick I believe. The only thing I didnt like was the central placement of the analogue stick, which I would have prefered on the left. The buttons were perfectly layed out and the Z-trigger was genious.

Dreamcast Pad: I have only used this one a few times, but there was nothing memorable about it.

PS1/PS2 Dual Shock Pad: Took controllers to the next level. Perfect button placement, good analogue sticks and a sound D-pad ensure that it's suitable for any type of game. Apart from it's poor durability, it doesn't have any major faults.

Gamecube Pad: Very comfortable to hold with very responsive buttons and triggers which feel good to press. The Z button isn't too good as it is hard to tell whether or not you have pressed it. The D-pad is ridiculously small meaning games like Tony Hawks are difficult to play. However, it excells when playing Nintendo games which it's perfect for.

Xbox Pad: Alot of people are complaining about the size, but I don't have a problem with it at all. It's very well made, meaning it won't be falling apart like the Sony pads do. The D-pad is strange and doesn't work as well as it should, but the analogue sticks are excellent. The triggers are perfect for driving games, with just the right amount of resistance when pushing them. The buttons are not shaped or positioned well as they are too close together. The best pad ever made for driving games.

Overall, its hard for me to choose a favourite but I would have to go for the PS2 pad. It handles all gaming genres well and is the "Jack of all trades" for controllers. Having said that, the other controllers excell in different areas so I thought I would combine all of their features and come up with my own "Fantasy Pad". Here are the ingredients:

1) The shape of the Sony pad but with the strong build of the Xbox pad
2) Add the triggers of the Xbox pad (underneath the four shoulder buttons)
3) Replace the Sony Analogue sticks with the ones on the Xbox pad
4) Replace the four Sony face buttons with four of the B buttons from the Gamecube pad
5) Replace the four Sony shoulder buttons with slightly smaller versions of the N64 shoulder buttons
5) Replace the D-pad with the SNES D-pad
6) Switch the positions of the D-pad and the left analogue stick (as it is on the Gamecube/Xbox pads)
7) It would probably end up looking like something Frankenstien would use, so colour it in brushed metallic silver.... with gold buttons.... and, errrm.... crystalised analogue sticks.... or something. Just make it look cool, damn it!

And there you have it, my perfect controller. What do you guys think?
Fri 18/10/02 at 15:39
Having recently had a brief discussion in another thread regarding the N64 controller vs PS2/Xbox/GC controllers, I thought I would start a new topic to see what everyones thoughts are on their favourite official controller of all time. Here are my thoughts on the ones I have used in recent times:

SNES Pad: Although this one is old now, I had to comment on it as it was one of the best controllers ever made. Still has the best D-pad to this day.

N64 Pad: This was a brilliant controller - the first to introduce the analogue stick I believe. The only thing I didnt like was the central placement of the analogue stick, which I would have prefered on the left. The buttons were perfectly layed out and the Z-trigger was genious.

Dreamcast Pad: I have only used this one a few times, but there was nothing memorable about it.

PS1/PS2 Dual Shock Pad: Took controllers to the next level. Perfect button placement, good analogue sticks and a sound D-pad ensure that it's suitable for any type of game. Apart from it's poor durability, it doesn't have any major faults.

Gamecube Pad: Very comfortable to hold with very responsive buttons and triggers which feel good to press. The Z button isn't too good as it is hard to tell whether or not you have pressed it. The D-pad is ridiculously small meaning games like Tony Hawks are difficult to play. However, it excells when playing Nintendo games which it's perfect for.

Xbox Pad: Alot of people are complaining about the size, but I don't have a problem with it at all. It's very well made, meaning it won't be falling apart like the Sony pads do. The D-pad is strange and doesn't work as well as it should, but the analogue sticks are excellent. The triggers are perfect for driving games, with just the right amount of resistance when pushing them. The buttons are not shaped or positioned well as they are too close together. The best pad ever made for driving games.

Overall, its hard for me to choose a favourite but I would have to go for the PS2 pad. It handles all gaming genres well and is the "Jack of all trades" for controllers. Having said that, the other controllers excell in different areas so I thought I would combine all of their features and come up with my own "Fantasy Pad". Here are the ingredients:

1) The shape of the Sony pad but with the strong build of the Xbox pad
2) Add the triggers of the Xbox pad (underneath the four shoulder buttons)
3) Replace the Sony Analogue sticks with the ones on the Xbox pad
4) Replace the four Sony face buttons with four of the B buttons from the Gamecube pad
5) Replace the four Sony shoulder buttons with slightly smaller versions of the N64 shoulder buttons
5) Replace the D-pad with the SNES D-pad
6) Switch the positions of the D-pad and the left analogue stick (as it is on the Gamecube/Xbox pads)
7) It would probably end up looking like something Frankenstien would use, so colour it in brushed metallic silver.... with gold buttons.... and, errrm.... crystalised analogue sticks.... or something. Just make it look cool, damn it!

And there you have it, my perfect controller. What do you guys think?
Fri 18/10/02 at 15:44
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I think the GC controller is the perfect controller.

With trigger buttons added under each handle and the Z taken away from the top, of course.
Fri 18/10/02 at 15:48
AfroJoe wrote:
> I think the GC controller is the perfect controller.

What about the D-pad? I think they have used the same one that's used for the GBA - it's way too small, don't you think?
Fri 18/10/02 at 15:53
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Sjigga wrote:
> AfroJoe wrote:
> I think the GC controller is the perfect controller.
>
>
> What about the D-pad? I think they have used the same one that's used
> for the GBA - it's way too small, don't you think?

---

Yeah, I suppose if it were to be the perfect controller then an adjustment on the D-pad would be on the card alongside the removing of that evil Z button.
Fri 18/10/02 at 15:57
I am surprised that Nintendo were so off the mark with the Z-trigger. They have always had excellent buttons with perfect placement. I would also like have the analogue sticks pressable (like the Xbox/PS2 pads) as it adds another two buttons which can be useful.
Fri 18/10/02 at 16:01
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Sjigga wrote:
> I am surprised that Nintendo were so off the mark with the Z-trigger.
> They have always had excellent buttons with perfect placement. I would
> also like have the analogue sticks pressable (like the Xbox/PS2 pads)
> as it adds another two buttons which can be useful.

---

Yeah, that's another thing that's missing from the GC controller - I guess if you look at it properly you can see that there are many flaws concealed in what was supposed to be the best controller around.

Flaws or adjustments needing to be made:
~Z button in wrong place
~No pressable analogue sticks
~No trigger buttons under control handle(s)
~Some buttons just a little too small
~D-Pad hard to use because of size

And there are probably many more to add to that list, but I can't be bothered thinking up any more. :-)
Fri 18/10/02 at 16:03
Regular
Personally I'd go for:

The shape and curvature of the GC controller.
The triggers of the XBOX/DC controller.
The analogue sticks of the XBOX controller.
The dual-shock and the D-pad of the PS2 controller.
The Z button of the N64 controller.
Fri 18/10/02 at 16:13
Regular
I think people need to be clear that the 'Z' button on the GC controller is NOT a trigger!

The 'Z' button is just an extra button they put on the pad for games that need one. It happened to be a trigger like button on the N64, but on the GC it's just an extra for things like status screens and maps etc not for actions.

It is not a badly placed trigger button.
Fri 18/10/02 at 16:19
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Whitestripes wrote:
> I think people need to be clear that the 'Z' button on the GC
> controller is NOT a trigger!

---

We know it's not a trigger, but we're saying it *should* be replaced by a trigger button of some sort, because it just feels in the wrong place overall, whether it be a trigger button or not.
Fri 18/10/02 at 16:22
Regular
Yeah I know :)

But there are plenty of fanboys running around that will say 'the trigger button is rubbish'.

Besides, does the PS2 controller have triggers? No.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.