GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-terminated"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/04/02 at 14:37
Regular
I was out at a party last night, and have just got home. Just checked my e-mail and found this from uk.playstation.com. I always knew Sony wouldn't let us down!

-----

Sony announce Xbox emulator for PlayStation2

Astounding news from Sony could make life very difficult for Microsoft and their new Xbox console. Concerned about the impact that Microsoft's machine could have on their market share, Sony have gone back to the drawing board with the intended hard-disk add-on unit.

On Saturday we were called to Sony's Japanese headquarters in Tokyo to attend a press conference, and what we were told had every industry reporter in the building sitting in stunned silence. Read on to find out why.

We've all heard the various reasons for the delay of the HD unit and broadband adapter, whether it be awaiting the launch of Final Fantasy or the 'ongoing trials' of Sony's own broadband network infrastructure. But now, Sony have finally come clean and revealed the true reason for the delays: they've re-designed the equipment to incorporate an Xbox emulator chip.

Sony's engineers have been busy analysing the Xbox since its US launch at the end of last year, and prior to that they've been working on emulation of Intel's Pentium III processor on a RISC-based CPU, similar to the Emotion Engine, but many times more powerful. The supposed PlayStation 3 CPU that we heard about some time ago was actually no such thing. Created in conjunction with IBM and Toshiba, the new chip is actually incorporated within the HD unit, and houses all of the necessary technology to emulate the Xbox - all of the PS3 information was simply a smokescreen, created to throw people off the scent after news of the CPU was leaked.

Ken Kutaragi, creator of both PlayStation consoles, said, "We have been concerned for some time about the impact they [Microsoft] would have with this new machine, but we think we have a product here which will see off any serious challenge."

Early prototypes of the chip were centred around emulating the nVidia GeForce 2 & 3 chips in order to check the feasibility of the project, but since the Xbox was launched in the US late last year, engineers have been working hard to adapt the processor to emulate the new Xbox chip. Now entering the final stages of development, the unit should see a Japanese launch in November/December this year, with a UK/European launch some time in early 2003, oddly BEFORE the US launch.

Kutaragi again: "We are launching in the United States last this time because we expect strong resistance from Microsoft to our launching of this product in their own backyard. They obviously won't like the fact that we can offer all the performance of their machine for around half the cost. We are expecting some legal challenges as they attempt to prevent or disrupt our US launch, but we believe we will be successful. In the meantime, we do not want these issues delaying the launch elsewhere."

Erm, excuse us… did you say "half the cost"?

"Well, almost. The unit will be very aggressively priced, with a planned all-in-one package for the equivalent UK price of between £150 and £170."

At this point we nearly fainted. What would we get for this money?

Kutaragi continued, "The package will consist of a hard disk of 30 or 40 gigabytes, the broadband/narrowband adapter and obviously the incorporated Xbox emulator hardware."

We felt obliged to point out that this unit would put the price of a new PS2 above that of the current Xbox price, but Kutaragi-san was quick to address our concerns. "You would essentially be getting two machines in one box," he told us. "We think it provides excellent value, and of course it is even better for those who already own a PlayStation 2 system."

Damn right! But surely Sony would be losing money at that price? "Unfortunately, yes. We expect to be losing a small amount per unit, but with sales of PlayStation 2 increasing greatly and the resultant increase in software sales, we believe we will make a profit in the long run." He continued, "We also see this as a way of giving a little something back to our customers, many of whom have remained with us since the days of the original PlayStation."

See? We always told you that Sony appreciate your custom. But... 'Xbox on a chip' - how on earth? We asked Kunitake Ando, Sony's president and CEO, just how the companies had managed such an amazing task. "You have to understand the abilities of the companies involved," he said. "In IBM and Toshiba, you have two of the world's leading microprocessor developers, whilst in ourselves you have a company who are well versed in the art of miniaturisation - it's one of our specialities."

So it was easy?

"No! No, it was far from easy. Easier than for some other companies, maybe, but it has taken months of extremely hard work from all involved," said Ando. "However we believe that it will prove to be a worthwhile investment, keeping the PlayStation brand at the forefront of home entertainment."

Sounds reasonable to us. So we had to ask - just how is the emulation possible?

Well, apparently it's easier than you may think, thanks to Sony's vision and foresight with the expansion bay at the back of your PS2. But you'll have to wait to find out just how they've achieved it, because we here at PlayStation.com will be running a series of in-depth articles on this most awesome of console add-ons over the next four weeks, beginning this Friday, 5th April. So watch this space! In the meantime, sit back and bask in the knowledge that your PS2 remains at the cutting edge of home entertainment technology.

The PlayStation.com team.
Fri 05/04/02 at 14:37
Regular
"accidental superher"
get jet set radio future....it is the coolest game i have ever played...even more so than devil may cry...it just oozes style
Fri 05/04/02 at 14:28
Regular
"Tag as above"
Is it X-rated?
Fri 05/04/02 at 14:02
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Oh dear !!
Fri 05/04/02 at 13:26
"High polygon count"
FatButcher wrote:
> Bet the dirty traitor gets an X-Box game

Well, I was thinking of getting the Buffy game, simply because it's out before the others I want...
Thu 04/04/02 at 22:25
Regular
"Tag as above"
true. better start think what he should get
Thu 04/04/02 at 22:18
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
FatButcher wrote:
Bet the dirty traitor gets an X-Box game

Don't see why you're complaining, you'll get to go on it!
>:(
Thu 04/04/02 at 21:53
Regular
"Tag as above"
Bet the dirty traitor gets an X-Box game
Thu 04/04/02 at 19:52
"High polygon count"
Tóm wrote:
> Well worth the GAD. What are you going to get?

Not sure yet... been looking through the release schedules and can't quite make my mind up.
Thu 04/04/02 at 18:19
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
If it weren't posted on April 1st... might you have believed it?

To be honest, yes. I would have believed it, if it wasn't posted on April 1st.

I did believe it when I was reading it first. But then I looked at the date, and realised you posted it on April 1st.

Well worth the GAD. What are you going to get?
Thu 04/04/02 at 13:13
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
It would have been more plausibale on a different date.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.