GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sniper in Washington!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/10/02 at 19:54
Regular
This person(s) is one sick sick person, and really needs to think over what he is doing. I dont live in the Washington Area, or America for that fact, I live in the UK. But I still follow the news about this sick tragedy. The reason I am posting about this in the PS2 room is about GTA Vice City, could this guy mean a late(r) release date than expected because some high official(s), or the government, think that the dude is being influenced by such games? There are three possible outcomes through this, here they are:
1) Nothing happens, the game is released at normal date stated.
2) The release date gets pulled back, or in the worse scenario:
3) The game gets banned completely.

What are your views?

Personally, I am a fan of the GTA series, and have most of them, and I am in no way influenced by such video game "crimes". But, do you think this man(or men) is(or are)?

Respect

k-jah
Sat 19/10/02 at 22:54
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
Video games don't influence me at all...... jackass and funny things on TV, now thats another story.
Sat 19/10/02 at 18:01
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Belldandy wrote:
> Erm...don't know about anyone else but I've been watching the story on
> Fox and Sky and I've not heard any official mention games as a ossible
> influence...
>
> ~~Belldandy~~

Same here, in fact I heard on the news through the week that this sniper isn't killing people because games 'influenced' him to pick up a gun and shoot people, but because he wants the attension of the world press. Basically hes a fruit cake, I wouldn't be suprised if hes never touched a joypad in his life.
Sat 19/10/02 at 14:43
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Belldandy wrote:
> Erm...don't know about anyone else but I've been watching the story on
> Fox and Sky and I've not heard any official mention games as a ossible
> influence...
>
> ~~Belldandy~~

No they would'nt say that. In this day and age its most likely to be someone who is against America. The Sniper will probably turn out to be some type of terrorist and not some deranged 15 year old who has had one too many goes on GTA3.
Sat 19/10/02 at 11:24
Regular
"  "
Yeah thats true what adrian said but I seem to think that GTA3 had gone gold with all the Darkel missions in but then it was delayed so they could take them out.
Sat 19/10/02 at 09:16
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Erm...don't know about anyone else but I've been watching the story on Fox and Sky and I've not heard any official mention games as a ossible influence...

~~Belldandy~~
Fri 18/10/02 at 22:42
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I doubt that the Sniper Rifle will be taken out of Vice City, seeing as its already gone Gold i.e Finished and copies are being produced. Its an event thats probably too close to the final finish date of Vice City for anything to be done about it.

But saying that MSG2 went Gold 13/14th Sept 2001. And they managed to delete the WTC from any of the squences in the game. But I suppose the WTC event was a huge event from the very 1st second the 1st plane hit. So everything to do with the WTC or terroism was taken out of games, movies e.t.c.

We'll have to wait and see if the Sniper Rifle will be in Vice City. If its not then it will be a real shame.
Fri 18/10/02 at 22:09
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
Huh? I'm a bit slow. Fill me in on it please.
Fri 18/10/02 at 22:07
"For the horde!!!!"
what about Hitman 2!. The whole game is based on assasination isn't it?
Fri 18/10/02 at 20:56
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Does it not seem that this sort of thing just so happens to crop up when the release of a GTA game is coming out, i think i remember a few incidents last November on the Eve of GTA3.

Shame really, as it gives various News Papers excuses to bring the old 'Games effecting peoples minds' rubbish back up.
Fri 18/10/02 at 20:49
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I think a bigger problem than the possibility of this guy being influenced by games is the ease with which he can get hold of a .223 calibre rifle.

I'm not saying that American's shouldn't have the right to defend themselves, (although I do disagree with the idea of using guns, guns should be banned full stop, why can't they defend themselves with baseball bats like we do?) but I think there should be more stringent checks done on the people that buy them. Like a psyche evaluation with every gun purchase, not just being able to walk into WalMart and pick one up off the counter or buy one online (you can buy almost any gun online, I checked) using a Firearms Licence number that you could have obtained years ago before you went nuts.

I think the only way this could possibly affect gaming of the future is that developers will think twice before including 'sniping from van missions' in future games. (Except maybe Acclaim who will probably end up making a game based on these tragic events).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.