GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Recovering from failed file copy to network drive on Mac without formatting"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/09/13 at 18:11
Regular
Hi,

It has just taken me the best part of 5 days to figure this out.

My situation is this. I have a new network drive and use it with a Mac. I have been trying to copy over my old hard disk contents over to the network drive, but have been caught out with failed copies. This unfortunately (on a Western Digital My Book Live Duo), sets drive permissions which don't allow you to delete or open the affected folder, and grays it out. You can't change the permissions via the Mac either, to allow you access.

I had been formatting the drive, after virtually a days continuous copy, and starting again, which you can imagine, was irksome to say the least.

Then, today, it struck me.

With your Western Digital Drive as above, log onto your wd2go account on the Mac. Because you are not using Mac permissions (AFP) at that point, but accessing via the net, you are able to delete and manipulate the one affected folder without having to format and start again.

I should imagine this would work with any brand of drive accessing over the internet. Try it. It worked for me.

Hope this helps someone.

Neil
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 10/09/13 at 18:11
Regular
Hi,

It has just taken me the best part of 5 days to figure this out.

My situation is this. I have a new network drive and use it with a Mac. I have been trying to copy over my old hard disk contents over to the network drive, but have been caught out with failed copies. This unfortunately (on a Western Digital My Book Live Duo), sets drive permissions which don't allow you to delete or open the affected folder, and grays it out. You can't change the permissions via the Mac either, to allow you access.

I had been formatting the drive, after virtually a days continuous copy, and starting again, which you can imagine, was irksome to say the least.

Then, today, it struck me.

With your Western Digital Drive as above, log onto your wd2go account on the Mac. Because you are not using Mac permissions (AFP) at that point, but accessing via the net, you are able to delete and manipulate the one affected folder without having to format and start again.

I should imagine this would work with any brand of drive accessing over the internet. Try it. It worked for me.

Hope this helps someone.

Neil

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.