GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming Problems"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 19/10/02 at 11:27
Regular
Games today are much different today than they were say 8 years ago, we just don't play them as much.
Reasons why, one is the invention of the memory card, we can just say "ah i'll come back to it later," without fears of your console melting.
Mario 3 on the SNES had a more "must complete it before my NES overheats and explodes!" keeping you playing for hours, sure games are longer now but they should have deignated area in the game to save with only four saves allowed throughout the game.(Although that'd make Mario sunshine much harder) Some games need a lot more saves, Long RPG's like Final Fantasy need saves but do other simple games need them?
Number 2 - Developers, although we are used to the superb graphics of Gran Turismo 3, Mario sunshine and Halo do they matter? Mario 3 was an 8 bit game but sold more copies than any other game, EVER. If a game has good graphics, is it the best game ever? Would you rather have Mario 3's gameplay and graphics or Gran Turismo's graphics and crap gameplay?
Point 3 - With the upcoming release of The Getaway, it reminds me how much is also concentrated on FMV's and other videos - The Final video for the geatway is 12 minutes, yes 12 minutes long - couldn't they have put that development time into better gameplay, some videos in games are good like the final fantasy's, but even they have many useless video's which are unneeded.
These points have made me realise that i miss the old days when i was 8 years old and the only games i ever got was 1 at chrismas, yet i didn't complain like i do now, i used to be happy now i need at least 6 gam,es a year to satisfy myself.
I'm away to play Mario 3.
Sun 20/10/02 at 10:42
Regular
hmmmm..... not exactly what this topic was made for but a good idea
Sat 19/10/02 at 23:05
Thank's I have got the key now. I probaly will get stuck again and need your advice.
Sat 19/10/02 at 22:40
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
heh, you will get stuck again. if ya do just say so here. ive completed it now so can help on any level.
Sat 19/10/02 at 22:29
Thank you very munch I can go on for the night now.
Sat 19/10/02 at 22:17
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
i can, look round there is a ledge under where the tree is, goto edge of the cliff and look down, when you see this drop down, go though short tunnel, climb up inside of tree, jump, get the key.
Sat 19/10/02 at 22:00
I am haveing trouble with Turok Evolution, chapter six.
I can't seem to obtain the Tarkeen key situated above the tree stump, can some one help.
Sat 19/10/02 at 21:56
i am ha
Sat 19/10/02 at 19:21
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
genesisofthesith wrote:

> it was risky not saving at every avaliable point as the game could
> stop loading at any point, and you could lose hours of work, as I
> unfortnuately found out first hand far too many times.

Personally Im glad of save points, I was playin Hitman 2 today, second level just ready to take out my target, the game froze. Now, if I hadnt saved just before I entered the building I would have had to sneak past all of those guards again.

And just imagine playin Stuntman without any saves, there would be a lot of smashed up PS2's, thats for sure.
Sat 19/10/02 at 19:14
"MMMMM, Chicken"
While I can understand the argument about how some games are now more about the packaging than the actual core of the game, but in some cases saves are simply essential, imagine how annoying it would be to play through 50 odd hours of a RPG, and realise that you missed a side quest a little while back. If you didnt have that save to fall back on would you really want to play through 50 odd hours of a game just to see a little extra scene or get an extra item. Some people may even just turn off the console and leave it, if you dont want to save, you dont have to, but I know, that after playing Final Fantasy 7 for hours it was risky not saving at every avaliable point as the game could stop loading at any point, and you could lose hours of work, as I unfortnuately found out first hand far too many times.
Sat 19/10/02 at 19:05
Regular
better still, an allocated amount on your memory card goes to one game and you cant overwite your old saves. They can only be deleted using a screen at the end of the game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.