GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The run up to Christmas..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 19/10/02 at 18:15
Regular
I know its only october, but there have been decorations and cards in the shops now for over a month, so I think its fairly safe to say that the run up to christmas has begun. Im sure one of the most important things on a lot of peoples minds is what to get for christmas. Im supposed to be busy doing coursework and filling in UCAS forms, but instead Im wondering what to get on the 25th of December.

This year I didn't really think I wanted anything, so I thought that I may as well get a new TV for my bedroom. Not that I really need one, I have a three year old Bush 21" TV in there now, there may be some interference through the scart, but it should be fine, its only for a small bedroom - right? Well, I watch a lot of DVD's, so I HAVE to get a widescreen tv, theres no point watching a film when it only fills 1/3 of the screen - right? Flat face tv's give a better picture, so it HAS to have a flat face - right? A good TV is an investment that should last, so you want to get a good one, with all the features you want to last a few years. So it HAS to have all the 100HZ + Progressive scan features, + Component imputs etc. that will become so commonplace in the next few years. Sizing up what TV's are avaliable that offer these features, my extensive search was narrowed down to three tv's. One of which seemed great, in every respect except the price - £600 at the cheapest(trust me I looked). To get this I would certainly have to get a part time job, save up the money to pay some extra myself, so off I go looking for part time jobs, - without any success may I add. Then I got next years JVC catalogue which highlights a new deinterpolating feature on their new models, which gives higher detail progressive scan images from any source, through any connection, - so of course the previously perfect tv I picked out had suddenly become rather ordinary looking. So I was no longer looking to get a tv for Christmas.

There I was back at square one, not knowing what to get. Soon after, I was told that my School might be organising a 3 day new york trip in february, to attend a media studies conference, so suddenly I had a new goal. But as quickly as the prospect popped up, it dissapeared, as our headmaster thought it not to be of educational value. So back again I go to square one. And to top it off it is then that people get back in touch with me about part time jobs - once I don't have a goal to save up for.

It would seem that the fates are conspiring against me, mocking me.

Maybe its deserved, for why am I going so over the top in wanting the best, why can't I be happy. What is really wrong with the TV that I was going to buy? What is wrong with the TV I have now? Why do I have to look for the problems with things, why can't I just be happy with what I've got.

After all, I didn't want anything - right?
Sat 19/10/02 at 18:43
Kyz22 wrote:
> I dunno wot to get either, maybe an eskimo? You could enslave it and
> make it complete turok for you.... that'll show him!

'That'll learn im'-Thank you mistique for those pearls of wisdom
Sat 19/10/02 at 18:22
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
I dunno wot to get either, maybe an eskimo? You could enslave it and make it complete turok for you.... that'll show him!
Sat 19/10/02 at 18:15
"MMMMM, Chicken"
I know its only october, but there have been decorations and cards in the shops now for over a month, so I think its fairly safe to say that the run up to christmas has begun. Im sure one of the most important things on a lot of peoples minds is what to get for christmas. Im supposed to be busy doing coursework and filling in UCAS forms, but instead Im wondering what to get on the 25th of December.

This year I didn't really think I wanted anything, so I thought that I may as well get a new TV for my bedroom. Not that I really need one, I have a three year old Bush 21" TV in there now, there may be some interference through the scart, but it should be fine, its only for a small bedroom - right? Well, I watch a lot of DVD's, so I HAVE to get a widescreen tv, theres no point watching a film when it only fills 1/3 of the screen - right? Flat face tv's give a better picture, so it HAS to have a flat face - right? A good TV is an investment that should last, so you want to get a good one, with all the features you want to last a few years. So it HAS to have all the 100HZ + Progressive scan features, + Component imputs etc. that will become so commonplace in the next few years. Sizing up what TV's are avaliable that offer these features, my extensive search was narrowed down to three tv's. One of which seemed great, in every respect except the price - £600 at the cheapest(trust me I looked). To get this I would certainly have to get a part time job, save up the money to pay some extra myself, so off I go looking for part time jobs, - without any success may I add. Then I got next years JVC catalogue which highlights a new deinterpolating feature on their new models, which gives higher detail progressive scan images from any source, through any connection, - so of course the previously perfect tv I picked out had suddenly become rather ordinary looking. So I was no longer looking to get a tv for Christmas.

There I was back at square one, not knowing what to get. Soon after, I was told that my School might be organising a 3 day new york trip in february, to attend a media studies conference, so suddenly I had a new goal. But as quickly as the prospect popped up, it dissapeared, as our headmaster thought it not to be of educational value. So back again I go to square one. And to top it off it is then that people get back in touch with me about part time jobs - once I don't have a goal to save up for.

It would seem that the fates are conspiring against me, mocking me.

Maybe its deserved, for why am I going so over the top in wanting the best, why can't I be happy. What is really wrong with the TV that I was going to buy? What is wrong with the TV I have now? Why do I have to look for the problems with things, why can't I just be happy with what I've got.

After all, I didn't want anything - right?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.