GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New Window - Fixed Size ???"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/08/06 at 16:21
Regular
Hi All,

Please forgive my newness and no ideaness !!

I offered to build a website for our local football team with little website knowledge and have hit various brick walls. I have managed by hook or crook to get a site together but appreciate it is not a masterpiece.

I have 3 questions that I would be really grateful of some help with:-

1) Why does the full address not show when you navigate around the website ??

2) On the home page I have a photo which I have added Hotspots too - I now would like the new window to open centrally in a fixed window size - I have tried copying various javascript but to no avail ?

3) CSS - Should I really be using this and if so is there a simple way to add this now without losing what I have already created ?

4) I know I said 3 but.....what advice/tips can you give me to make my life easier ?? I am self taught from books (which is evident lol) but keep taking short cuts due to time restrictions..

Many thanks in advance for your help.

The URL is brockworthalbion.com

Kind regards

Chris
Mon 07/08/06 at 17:42
Regular
Thanks All for your help - I will act on your advice !!

As for the recommendation regarding pass on the website to someone else - that is the most sensible thing I have ever heard :)

Thanks again, I will be back to bother you again in due course !

Regards

Chris
Mon 07/08/06 at 17:22
Regular
Aww I was just about to answer all your questions but they both beat me to it :)

Glad we could help you Lloyd.
Mon 07/08/06 at 17:19
"Are you sure?"
Hi Top_lloyd.

1) This is because you are using Frames. This is recognised as generally not a good thing these days. Search Engines will end up finding orphaned pages etc. Google for more info...

2) You can open a popup window with defined size and toolbars etc. Have a look at the source on this Freeola page. The Winners link uses a Javascript to can copy. View the page source and 'find' popup.

3) It would be simple to add an external style sheet to your pages - which is what I do, or you could add in-line CSS. I see you are using MS Frontpage - I believe that has an option in the Format > Style toolbar.

4) That's what most of us do ;¬) Keep at it and before you know it you'll be an expert...

NB. Take a look at my earlier post about image sizes. You home page image should be around 50k rather than 300k - and it will look the same but obviously load *much* quicker.

Hope my rather rushed reply helps...

Garin has beat me to it...
Mon 07/08/06 at 17:15
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Top_LLoyd wrote:
> 1) Why does the full address not show when you navigate around
> the website ??

Its because you are using frames. The address bar shows the outer page only. In this case thats the page that sets up your frames. The only way to solve the problem is to remove the frames.

> 2) On the home page I have a photo which I have added Hotspots
> too - I now would like the new window to open centrally in a
> fixed window size - I have tried copying various javascript but
> to no avail ?

Try this
And then for the actual links in your image map. They'll want to look like this..

(remember to get rid of the target="_blank")

> 3) CSS - Should I really be using this and if so is there a
> simple way to add this now without losing what I have already
> created ?

You can use as much or as little CSS as you like and it'll work quite happily with what you've already got.
As for whether you should be using it, ideally yes. Only you can decide whether its worth your time though. What you have at the moment works and that counts for alot. If its a one off website and you'll never do such things again you might say its difficult to justify spending time learning something you'll never use again.
There are advantages to using css though. For instance it does make maintenance easier when using stylesheets as opposed to hardcoding every style into your webpages.

> 4) I know I said 3 but.....what advice/tips can you give me to
> make my life easier ?? I am self taught from books (which is
> evident lol) but keep taking short cuts due to time
> restrictions.

Pass the website onto somebody else to build, your life will be much easier then. :-)
Mon 07/08/06 at 16:21
Regular
Hi All,

Please forgive my newness and no ideaness !!

I offered to build a website for our local football team with little website knowledge and have hit various brick walls. I have managed by hook or crook to get a site together but appreciate it is not a masterpiece.

I have 3 questions that I would be really grateful of some help with:-

1) Why does the full address not show when you navigate around the website ??

2) On the home page I have a photo which I have added Hotspots too - I now would like the new window to open centrally in a fixed window size - I have tried copying various javascript but to no avail ?

3) CSS - Should I really be using this and if so is there a simple way to add this now without losing what I have already created ?

4) I know I said 3 but.....what advice/tips can you give me to make my life easier ?? I am self taught from books (which is evident lol) but keep taking short cuts due to time restrictions..

Many thanks in advance for your help.

The URL is brockworthalbion.com

Kind regards

Chris

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.