GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why are you all so scared?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/10/02 at 14:42
Regular
An amazing amount of posts on here seem to be posted by people who think that unless a game has repeated violent death and plotlines worthy of a Nobel Prize for literature, it instantly becomes a "kiddy game" and shouldn't be played by anyone over the age of 12. What's the matter? Are you all that insecure about yourselves that you can't simply enjoy something because it's fun anymore? Do primary colours now scare you more than the gloom that more and more games are set in?

Games are meant to be fun. We all know this; that's why they're called computer games and not "SUPER HOME SADOMASOCHISM SYSTEM X-TREME 6000!!!" (Though, some games do feel like it). It isn't necessary for violence to be involved to make something fun. It isn't necessary for other media to resort to violence and dialogue that has half the audience wanting to commit suicide by halfway into the story all the time. Why should games playing be different?

If we consider the films industry, it makes films specifically for children. These films are rated U, and large groups of people between the age of 12 and 16 labels them worthless because they're made for "babies". These people then miss out on some of the most entertaining films made. Films like Shrek, which is far better than most of the films made that year. There's no gore, no swearing, no heart wrenching dialogue. But it's entertaining for everyone.

Games should be like this. If I want to pick up Mario Sunshine and play it, rather than an in depth RPG that takes hours to get into or a driving game that requires hours of pedantic fiddling with car set-ups, then why shouldn't I? It annoys me when people younger than me tell me that I shouldnt play a game like that and should be playing GTA3 because "it has violence and stealing and you can beat pedestrians up." Maybe I don't want to beat the pedestrians up, maybe I want to cave your head in for being a shallow minded ****. Most of the "Adult" oriented games around aren't. They're aimed at pubescent boys who want to think they're grown up. A good example of this is the BMX XXX game just released in America. It has naked women, swearing and "A disrespectful attitude". I bet it sells by the bucketload. Even though it's just Dave Mirra's BMX with a few bolt-ons.

Let's take pokemon as a prime example. People argue that "it's designed for children" and "There's no realism" and that "The plotline isn't very good." They say that games like the Final Fantasy series, which went deadly serious in only the last few editions, are the only type of RPG worth playing because they're the only adult ones.

Give. A. Flying. ****.

Pokemon is fun. So are Final Fantasy games. Why should I only play one of them? Why can we no longer rank games on how much fun they are to play and instead have to obsess over plotlines, adult themes and language?

I'm not saying that adult oriented games are bad. Nor am I saying that all games should be aimed at everyone. What I'm saying is that just because a game is advertised for children, it isn't necessarily only for them.

Anyway.
Games = Fun.
Fun = Good.
Good = Happiness.
Happiness = Less rage.
Less rage = Less poxy fanboys.

See? It's good for all of us.

Now, why have I used so many rhetorical questions?
Sun 20/10/02 at 17:57
"MMMMM, Chicken"
I read the post as being against 'adult games'. It preaches that you shouldn't be biased against 'childrens' games while at the same time criticising more adult games for having themes that are prehaps there for the sake of being adult, and while I personally dont care whether a game is marketted towards an adult audience or a childrens audience, its easy to see why people may buy a game just for T+A or violence, isn't that allowed? Isnt that their choice?

Its not as though people buy Playboy for the quality of the writing, so why should it be different for games?
Sun 20/10/02 at 16:36
Regular
genesisofthesith wrote:

"Play what you like, but theres no need to try and persuade everyone to like what you like, its all about freedom of choice, and it would seem that you believe in everyones freedom to choose the same choices as you, but nothing else, otherwise you wouldn't have bothered posting the topic."

And you're forcing your view onto everyone by writing this reply, perhaps?

While many people truly and utterly believe in freedom of choice, there are many that will happily argue down anything, even without truly judging what they're arguing against.

And there are those that fight for what they believe in. It's completely different. He's not saying to like this game and hate this one, THAT would be forcing opinions on people. He's saying simply to grow up and give fun a chance instead. What's wrong with that?

And why are people so hostile around here?
Sun 20/10/02 at 16:26
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
genesisofthesith wrote:
>it would seem
> that you believe in everyones freedom to choose the same choices >as
> you,

What, to play entertaining games no matter what they look/sound like?
Sun 20/10/02 at 16:26
Regular
No he was saying that just cause a game seems childish doesn't mean you can't play it. Give it a go you'll most likely enjoy it even if it's not full of so called mature content.
Sun 20/10/02 at 16:22
"MMMMM, Chicken"
> If we consider the films industry, it makes films specifically for
> children. These films are rated U, and large groups of people between
> the age of 12 and 16 labels them worthless because they're made for
> "babies". These people then miss out on some of the most
> entertaining films made. Films like Shrek, which is far better than
> most of the films made that year. There's no gore, no swearing, no
> heart wrenching dialogue. But it's entertaining for everyone.

Im 17 an Ive never had problems seeing kids films, films such as Monsters Inc, Ice Age etc. are just enjoyable in a non gratuitous way. Last week I made thechoice to see Lilo + Stitch rather than Red Dragon, why, well other than Anthony Hopkins pathetic lisping in the adverts for Red Dragon, Lilo + Stitch just seemed more enjoyable. People dont choose to like something, they just do, whether you prefer more adult themes or more chilish themes thats your choice and for noone else to decide.

> Let's take pokemon as a prime example. People argue that "it's
> designed for children" and "There's no realism" and
> that "The plotline isn't very good."

Thats all true, it is aimed at children, there is no realism and its plot is more simple than any childrens cartoon I ever watched. But they still attract their target audience, and if you enjoy the games then thats up to you, if you dont then thats fine too. But if you dont enjoy the game for these reasons then your fully justified in your choice.

Play what you like, but theres no need to try and persuade everyone to like what you like, its all about freedom of choice, and it would seem that you believe in everyones freedom to choose the same choices as you, but nothing else, otherwise you wouldn't have bothered posting the topic.
Sun 20/10/02 at 16:18
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
Erm, Maybe...
Sun 20/10/02 at 16:15
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
BEARDS. wrote:
> I don't think I can even win one. I'll check the legal babble.

Why can't you win? ... Do you work for SR?
Sun 20/10/02 at 16:13
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
I don't think I can even win one. I'll check the legal babble.
Sun 20/10/02 at 16:02
Regular
"Festivus!"
Is this a desperate GAD attempt (see back of postcard)
Sun 20/10/02 at 16:02
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
The annoying thing is when people realise the whole advertising thing, and then just trust reviews, which are just an opinion, when it's your own opinion that counts. A wrote a "Playing is Believing" post about this in Prime a while ago.....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.