GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GE FORCE MX 440 GRAPHICS CARD"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/03/02 at 11:34
Regular
I just can't find anybody who has this flippin card. I have one on its way to me and want some no nonsense info on it from someone who has got one in there machine.
Fri 05/04/02 at 18:08
Regular
GF 4 as a new PC i would say it's worth but upgrading i would stand by the GF2 ti or ultra and the GF 3....
Fri 05/04/02 at 17:00
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Weird Kid wrote:
Yep he did.

What a muppet!
Fri 05/04/02 at 15:36
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
GF3 Ti200 should outperform an mx440, but the other gf4s (Ti) are sound - makes sense if you're buying new, but just not worth the upgrade from most gf3s
Fri 05/04/02 at 15:25
Regular
I would prefer a GF2 Ti ATM .... after hearing about the GF4...
Fri 05/04/02 at 15:21
cipro wrote:
> Has this guy just copied the entire page without putting any kind of response
> down?

Yep he did.
Fri 05/04/02 at 12:06
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Has this guy just copied the entire page without putting any kind of response down?
Wed 03/04/02 at 07:46
Yeah Muppet seems the best description of him.
Wed 03/04/02 at 02:58
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Anyone think of a better way to reply to this guy than "muppet"?

Thought not.

Muppet.
Tue 02/04/02 at 23:46
Regular
aer ok talk about this: Go To Page: 1 |2 Next Page >>

Reaper[oV]
"Snoochie Boochie.."
Regular stats
Today at 10.07PM Heh, you will, the GF4tis are fine cards, if you're buying now and want a new one then it makes sense ot go for them, just don't see the point of upgrading a gf3ti. Just looking at the difference between this box and the one with the gf2mx over yonder though *points*, you'll see a massive jump, heh.

Sorry if my posts are a little scathing at the moment. I'll hang a little warning sign around my neck.
Start New Topic | Reply | Reply Quoting This Message | Report this post | PC Gaming Forum

Weird Kid
"Strokes Cable Modem"
Regular stats
Today at 8.15PM I'll be going from an 8mb Onboard graphics chip, too a Geforce 4 Ti, not sure which yet, did test today on nvidia site, and compared to my chip at 100%, the GF4 Ti4600 got 1284%, so i think i should notice some difference :-D

Can't wait
Start New Topic | Reply | Reply Quoting This Message | Report this post | PC Gaming Forum

Uncle Albert
"Genuinely old"
Regular stats
Today at 8.09PM Ya see Reaper, I had a Geforce2 MX (the original Prophet with 32meg of SDRAM) for well over a year and kind of missed out the top-end Geforce2's and 3's altogether.
So, hopefully, this Geforce4 should last me the same length of time again. :)

Oh, and Pantoffel? Forget it.

Reaper[oV]
"Snoochie Boochie.."
Regular stats
Today at 12.08PM MX440 is still a perfectly good card - excellent considering the price they can be found for, and still a sensible choice for a gamer. I still have GF2mxs in two of my boxen, and they cope with gmes perfectly well; as long as you don't expect everything to run at highest res/detail, the MX range will do you well. Never really bothered benching them with anything, ti500 still sits in here and stops me upgrading to any of the GF4s - why bother, Q3 over 100fps at 1600x1200, any new game highest res...the GF4 Tis just dont show a significant improvement.

Pantoffel
Newbie stats
Today at 9.43AM Goat-Rider wrote:
> Pantoffel wrote:
Anyway, a GeForce 2 MX 440 is
> a decent enough graphics
> card, and as long as it can run all my games, I don't
> care.

There is no
> such thing as a geforce 2 mx440 its either a geforce 2 mx400 or a geforce 4
> mx440 just thought I would add that to the discussion :)

Ok, my mistake. I noticed just after I posted it, so forgive me :0)

'Pantoffel, get out. Now. You said you have a monster of a PC. Your graphics card is part of your system specifications. Your graphics card is not a monster. Therefore, your PC is also not a monster.'

Incorrect my friend. Never did I once say that my graphics card is good. Look, it's the principal of the thing. What if I just used it for media editing or just for typing and it ran incredibly fast, then it would still be a monster.

'And yes, it's GF2 MX400, not 440. Get it right.'

As I said, my mistake.

'But if it's good enough for your games (Age of Empires, etc), fair enough. :)'

You're an idiot. Stop throwing your knowledge around like that. I'm one to admit when I'm wrong, but I think you're being out of line here. Yes, you may know more about graphics cards, but I can guarantee that I know more about media editing than you. So, don't think I'm stupid just because I make a mistake on one subject, because that's just flaming hypocricy. I also think that you're being a little too hard on me. I never once tried to cause offence to you until you offended me, so if you just kindly pointed it out, there wouldn't have been a problem.

And no, I have games like Medal of Honour: Allied Assault and will be getting GTA3, so suck on that, idiot.

Goat-Rider
"I like to ride goats"
Newbie stats
Today at 9.14AM Im waiting till the 'next generation' games come out such as the new Unreal Tournament and Halo ( if it ever comes out ) Before I upgrade again

Reaper[oV]
"Snoochie Boochie.."
Regular stats
Yesterday at 7.23PM How long can it take to even get the right damn graphics card - the MX440 is a gf4, if you don't know that, you shouldn't be telling him about it. MX400 was a version of the gf2, the high end of their budget range, comparable to the orignal MXs.

The GF4mx is fairly poor in all its flavours, it can be outperformed in actual gaming by GF2 Ultras, and lacks the nFiniteFX II engine the rest of the GF4s have. That said, it's probably the best way to go for a budget card at the moment. The rest of the GF4 range is good, but not hugely better than the GF3s - an overclocked Ti500 owns, to the point where the difference in performance between that and a gf4ti is not nearly enough to justify the price, especially as you can get some quality second hand cards now as people upgrade to maintain their braggin' rites.

Uncle Albert
"Genuinely old"
Regular stats
Yesterday at 7.12PM Weird Kid wrote:
> Albert, just wondering what is your GF4 Ti4400 like, is it worth the
> money?

The GF4 Ti4400, as you can probably imagine, is a true beast. The Ti4600 basically just has a higher GPU clock speed and RAM clock speed.
I paid something like £250 for my Creative Ti4400 and the Ti4600s are well in the £300s, so I wouldn't bother at the mo. If you've got the cash to spare, don't hesitate to go for mine.

SiLenT-Sc0pe[UK²]
"Damn yea!"
Notable stats
Yesterday at 1.31PM Slippers wrote:
> I have a cool graphics card in both my PC's. In this one I have a GeForce 4 MX
> 440 64MB DDR. Now, thats a card and it came with my Special Reserve PC (thanks
> Special Reserve!!) But in my other PC I have a GeForce 2 Ultra 64MB which can
> out do the GF4 MX 440. If u have the GeForce 2 Ultra, hang onto it coz its
> cool. Hmmmm, i shall be investing in a GeForce 4 Ti 4600 sometime, now that
> card would make your PC the daddy.

Geforce 4= Cut down version of the geforce mx...

Weird Kid
"Strokes Cable Modem"
Regular stats
Yesterday at 8.44AM Albert, just wondering what is your GF4 Ti4400 like, is it worth the money?

Am thinking about buying either that or a Ti4600 for my new pc.

Or†ega
"Life’s a game"
Regular stats
Yesterday at 12.34AM But surely you can have a monster of a PC while still having a 64MB MX 400? THats what I got anyway, with an AMD XP1800+ and 512 MB of DDR Ram.

Slippers
"I am Comfortable"
Newbie stats
on 31/03/2002 at 8.01PM I have a cool graphics card in both my PC's. In this one I have a GeForce 4 MX 440 64MB DDR. Now, thats a card and it came with my Special Reserve PC (thanks Special Reserve!!) But in my other PC I have a GeForce 2 Ultra 64MB which can out do the GF4 MX 440. If u have the GeForce 2 Ultra, hang onto it coz its cool. Hmmmm, i shall be investing in a GeForce 4 Ti 4600 sometime, now that card would make your PC the daddy.

Uncle Albert
"Genuinely old"
Regular stats
on 31/03/2002 at 7.28PM Pantoffel, get out. Now. You said you have a monster of a PC. Your graphics card is part of your system specifications. Your graphics card is not a monster. Therefore, your PC is also not a monster.

And yes, it's GF2 MX400, not 440. Get it right.

But if it's good enough for your games (Age of Empires, etc), fair enough. :)

Weird Kid
"Strokes Cable Modem"
Regular stats
on 31/03/2002 at 7.16PM Geforce 2 Mx400 me thinks

Goat-Rider
"I like to ride goats"
Newbie stats
on 31/03/2002 at 10.37AM Pantoffel wrote:
Anyway, a GeForce 2 MX 440 is
> a decent enough graphics card, and as long as it can run all my games, I don't
> care.

There is no such thing as a geforce 2 mx440 its either a geforce 2 mx400 or a geforce 4 mx440 just thought I would add that to the discussion :)

Pantoffel
Newbie stats
on 31/03/2002 at 10.28AM Uncle Albert wrote:
> Pantoffel, unless you're kidding, you have my permission to shut up. A monster
> of a PC?? Oh no, not with a GF2 MX 400 you haven't!!

No, no, no. You have my permission to shut up also. Never did I once say that my graphics card was a monster, but that my system specifications are monstorous, so please read over something before blurting out like that, or you're just going to get a mouthful of abuse back. Anyway, a GeForce 2 MX 440 is a decent enough graphics card, and as long as it can run all my games, I don't care.

Weird Kid
"Strokes Cable Modem"
Regular stats
on 31/03/2002 at 8.42AM My computer is lame. No Agp slots either, have 8mb onboard graphics chip which is quite pathetic. So i'm saving up to build a nice new one, with a decent graphics card.

But won't have enough money until at least the end of the year, only earning £100 a month, is going to take me a while :(

cipro
"A made man"
Newbie stats
on 30/03/2002 at 8.29PM I wish I could upgrade to a GeForce 3, but my mother board only has PCI slots, and the new models need AGP. I guess I'll just have to stick with my GeForce 2 for the time being then.

Uncle Albert
"Genuinely old"
Regular stats
on 30/03/2002 at 8.15PM Pantoffel, unless you're kidding, you have my permission to shut up. A monster of a PC?? Oh no, not with a GF2 MX 400 you haven't!!

And although more powerful than the GF2 MX, the GF4 MX isn't up to the standards of even the GF2 Ti. I'm sorry to say this, but you would've been far better off buying a GF3 Ti200 for something like £160. It's more powerful than anything in the GF2 range and half the price of a GF4 Ti4400/4600.

Geforce 2 MX - good in it's time, but now trully outdated.
Geforce 3 Ti200 - loads of power for little more than the price of a GF2 MX.
Geforce 4 Ti4400 - only get this card if you're as stupid as me.
Geforce 4 Ti 4600 - stop robbing banks.

Pantoffel
Newbie stats
on 30/03/2002 at 2.56PM I have a NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX/MX 440 card, which I think is the same as yours, unless it's a GeForce 1 that you've ordered. Personally, I would have thought it more worthwhile to have got at least a GeForce 2, and even they're getting outdated now, as GeForce 4 is either just come out or is coming out soon. Anyway, GeForce tend to be good from how I've dealth with them, so it should be fine. It really depends which games you want to play on it. Out of curiosity, which games do you intend to play on it? The likes of Medal of Honour: Allied Assault and Grand Theft Auto 3 may be a little too much to handle. Hell, the system requirements for GTA3 are slightly higher than that of my monster-of-a-PC!
Tue 02/04/02 at 22:07
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Heh, you will, the GF4tis are fine cards, if you're buying now and want a new one then it makes sense ot go for them, just don't see the point of upgrading a gf3ti. Just looking at the difference between this box and the one with the gf2mx over yonder though *points*, you'll see a massive jump, heh.

Sorry if my posts are a little scathing at the moment. I'll hang a little warning sign around my neck.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.