GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Christmas present ideas."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 21/10/02 at 21:30
Regular
Here are a few of my reccomendations of presents for the whole family.... except sisters (don't have any) and even the pets. Some I own or have given, and others... I've seen places.

MUM:
A bread maker would make an ideal gift for mums as you know how they always say things like ''Oh I remember waking up in the morning to the smell of fresh bread when I was a child''. These are very easy to use and are not too pricy. Our one was about £60 and can make all types of things. Pizzas, loafs, cake dough and loads more. These can be bought at places like Argos and Curries.

Candles and candle holders are also very popular gifts. An excellent place to look for these is Wax Lyrical which can be found in most major malls. Or not just candles, how about a water ornament, like one of those bowles which has a rock feature in or a mini waterfall. We own about 4 of these. They come in various different sizes and all have different features. Some even have dry ice effects which smoke and they are so cool.
These can be quite expensive but are worth if for your mum.

Perfum always goes down well as a gift, may I suggest Cerruti 1881 which costs around £30 but is very nice. It comes in a really cool bottle aswell.

A nice wine rack or expensive ornament are also great gifts as they can be put anywhere and won't ever go away, unless they're broken or thrown away. Make it a nice one though, not some cheap duck or frog toilet ornament.

DAD:
An Ozzy Ozbourne biography is quite a nice gift as he was the famous idle of their times when they were growing up and he has led a very active life with the death of his guitarist and his life filled with drugs, sex and.... more drugs. There are many different versions of this that can be bought at places like WHSmiths. It set me back about £15 which was worth it.

No father dislikes the Bee Gees with their funky fresh rythmic songs. Why not get the Bee Gees - Tales from the Brothers Gibb: A History in song 1967 to 1990. This is a collection of all the Bee Gees songs put onto 4 CD's and also contains a booklet which has info on all the songs and photo's of them playing live. This is rather pricy at about £50 but is well worth it as it has ALL the classics like I Can't See No Body To Love, Lovely Days, Stayin Alive, Night Fever and loads more. All in all there are 81 tracks including live ones. These are fairly easy to get hold of but it's not just as easy as walking into HMV and buying it, you may have to go to a larger place like Virgin or order it from somewhere. Well worth it I'd say.

Again, Aftershave is a nice gift as dad's cant seem to get enough of that wonderfull stuff. Some nice fragraces are Joop and Cool Water which are two of my favourites. These prices can vary depending on the size of the bottle.

Maybe some kind of electronic organiser or a diary planner or maybe a large set of stationary or a power tool he's been hankering for.

Brother:
You cant go wrong with an album, be it The Streets or Slipknot, these are easy enough to get hold of from stores like woolworths which is usually pretty cheap. You'd best ask them what they like in a sense that they won't know what you're actually doing which is finding out what album they want unless you already know. I found the easiest way to do that is to show them a song that you know they'll hate and you pretend you like it and then when they say that it sucks, you say oh well what do you like then. Easy.

For the older brother a car cleaning kit could be good but make sure that you check it's got a nice soft brush rather than one that'll scratch their paint. DO NOT get them a nodding dog or a Bart Simpson thing to go on the back seet other wise they may get pretty peeved off. I don't reccomend a wheel lock either cos they won't want one of them ugly things on their vehicle.

A younger brother or a son would probably want something like one of those Tony Hawk Skateboarding things which can be bought for about.. I'm not sure. Or, if you're a big spender, get one of those remote control cars which have a camera in the car and a scree on the remote and you watch where you're going through the remote. Although these do cost about £150 I THINK. But maybe only get that if they're birthday is right near christmas and make it a joint present. These can be bought from Globe shops or maybe gadget shops.

A portable Cd or a minidisc player are always very handy as you know they'll use it. These can be expensive though.

To be honest, if you want to buy your son or whoever a computer console, the best to go for would be a PS2 as these are the most preferred and popular console with the largest array of games and have the best titles. (I'm not trying to start an argument here). The prices on these now have been slashed down to £169 and are well worth it.

Pets:
If you just buy one present for your cat at christmas, I'd suggest the multi-story cat house from argos which costs about £30 if I remember correctly. These are great as it has 3 stories. The bottom is a box which the cat sleeps in, the middle is a scratching post and the top is just a plain ft by ft square which the cat would sit on. The whole thing is made out of wood and is covered in a blue artificial fur. The scratching post is also covered in catnip which cats love.

For the dog I'd suggest one of those dog setees which are pretty cool. Basically its a miniature setee which you'd have in your living room but for a dog. These can also be bought from Argos but I'm not sure how much they cost.

Hope this small present guide helps you for this year. Sure took long enough to write but hey... I live to give.
Mon 21/10/02 at 21:30
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
Here are a few of my reccomendations of presents for the whole family.... except sisters (don't have any) and even the pets. Some I own or have given, and others... I've seen places.

MUM:
A bread maker would make an ideal gift for mums as you know how they always say things like ''Oh I remember waking up in the morning to the smell of fresh bread when I was a child''. These are very easy to use and are not too pricy. Our one was about £60 and can make all types of things. Pizzas, loafs, cake dough and loads more. These can be bought at places like Argos and Curries.

Candles and candle holders are also very popular gifts. An excellent place to look for these is Wax Lyrical which can be found in most major malls. Or not just candles, how about a water ornament, like one of those bowles which has a rock feature in or a mini waterfall. We own about 4 of these. They come in various different sizes and all have different features. Some even have dry ice effects which smoke and they are so cool.
These can be quite expensive but are worth if for your mum.

Perfum always goes down well as a gift, may I suggest Cerruti 1881 which costs around £30 but is very nice. It comes in a really cool bottle aswell.

A nice wine rack or expensive ornament are also great gifts as they can be put anywhere and won't ever go away, unless they're broken or thrown away. Make it a nice one though, not some cheap duck or frog toilet ornament.

DAD:
An Ozzy Ozbourne biography is quite a nice gift as he was the famous idle of their times when they were growing up and he has led a very active life with the death of his guitarist and his life filled with drugs, sex and.... more drugs. There are many different versions of this that can be bought at places like WHSmiths. It set me back about £15 which was worth it.

No father dislikes the Bee Gees with their funky fresh rythmic songs. Why not get the Bee Gees - Tales from the Brothers Gibb: A History in song 1967 to 1990. This is a collection of all the Bee Gees songs put onto 4 CD's and also contains a booklet which has info on all the songs and photo's of them playing live. This is rather pricy at about £50 but is well worth it as it has ALL the classics like I Can't See No Body To Love, Lovely Days, Stayin Alive, Night Fever and loads more. All in all there are 81 tracks including live ones. These are fairly easy to get hold of but it's not just as easy as walking into HMV and buying it, you may have to go to a larger place like Virgin or order it from somewhere. Well worth it I'd say.

Again, Aftershave is a nice gift as dad's cant seem to get enough of that wonderfull stuff. Some nice fragraces are Joop and Cool Water which are two of my favourites. These prices can vary depending on the size of the bottle.

Maybe some kind of electronic organiser or a diary planner or maybe a large set of stationary or a power tool he's been hankering for.

Brother:
You cant go wrong with an album, be it The Streets or Slipknot, these are easy enough to get hold of from stores like woolworths which is usually pretty cheap. You'd best ask them what they like in a sense that they won't know what you're actually doing which is finding out what album they want unless you already know. I found the easiest way to do that is to show them a song that you know they'll hate and you pretend you like it and then when they say that it sucks, you say oh well what do you like then. Easy.

For the older brother a car cleaning kit could be good but make sure that you check it's got a nice soft brush rather than one that'll scratch their paint. DO NOT get them a nodding dog or a Bart Simpson thing to go on the back seet other wise they may get pretty peeved off. I don't reccomend a wheel lock either cos they won't want one of them ugly things on their vehicle.

A younger brother or a son would probably want something like one of those Tony Hawk Skateboarding things which can be bought for about.. I'm not sure. Or, if you're a big spender, get one of those remote control cars which have a camera in the car and a scree on the remote and you watch where you're going through the remote. Although these do cost about £150 I THINK. But maybe only get that if they're birthday is right near christmas and make it a joint present. These can be bought from Globe shops or maybe gadget shops.

A portable Cd or a minidisc player are always very handy as you know they'll use it. These can be expensive though.

To be honest, if you want to buy your son or whoever a computer console, the best to go for would be a PS2 as these are the most preferred and popular console with the largest array of games and have the best titles. (I'm not trying to start an argument here). The prices on these now have been slashed down to £169 and are well worth it.

Pets:
If you just buy one present for your cat at christmas, I'd suggest the multi-story cat house from argos which costs about £30 if I remember correctly. These are great as it has 3 stories. The bottom is a box which the cat sleeps in, the middle is a scratching post and the top is just a plain ft by ft square which the cat would sit on. The whole thing is made out of wood and is covered in a blue artificial fur. The scratching post is also covered in catnip which cats love.

For the dog I'd suggest one of those dog setees which are pretty cool. Basically its a miniature setee which you'd have in your living room but for a dog. These can also be bought from Argos but I'm not sure how much they cost.

Hope this small present guide helps you for this year. Sure took long enough to write but hey... I live to give.
Mon 21/10/02 at 21:39
Regular
"Touched!"
Buy a blow up doll..fun for the whole family..or something like that..:D
Mon 21/10/02 at 21:40
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
U can by blow up sheeps from www.boysstuff.co.uk (gadget site) and I'm considering buying one...... for my friend.. cough.
Mon 21/10/02 at 21:44
Regular
i was thinkin of the £300 sniper rifles so that i can attack peo... rats....darn infestation
CUT!

If they find out what it's really for then im in trouble, What! this microphoens still recording DOH! a deer a female deer, Ray .......
Mon 21/10/02 at 22:14
Regular
"Nebla"
No one can beat A game just been released
delivered straight to you door on christmas,
If that does'nt make someones day nothing will !!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.