GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"'Those little details' by Liquid Snake"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 29/03/02 at 20:52
Regular
It’s those little details that make the games what they are. You don’t really notice them but thats what make the game special, it makes them stand out. Take Shenmue 2 for example. The detail is amazing. You look at the buildings and every brick is a different shade of orange, the clouds move when you look up at the sky. Plus the every shop has it’s own personality.

Another example is Metal Gear Solid 2. On the ‘Making of’ DvD that comes with the game, it shows the way the rain moved before they had really thought about it and planned it out properly and it looked good but not that good. But when they planned it out properly it looked very realistic. The rain moved in different directions as the wind changes direction, when the rain hit Snake’s head and back, you could see that Kojima had spent time thinking about how he could make it look as realstic as possible.

But I think the start of all this was Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The character had a lot of detail on, he was blinking like a human would, and the land that the story was set in was very detailed. I think this was the start of all the little details that game developers have become obbsesed over.

This is all very well and good, but are game developers spending too much time on graphics and little detail too make the game look good, and not enough time on the gameplay. Is that why we aren’t having quality games coming out all the time? If game developers spent as much time as they did on graphics as gameplay we would have the great game coming out all the time.

Looking back on some of the old NES/SNES games, I think they have better gameplay value than most of the games coming out today, and I think thats because old consoles couldn’t produce really good graphics so they worked on gameplay to make a game sell, but today with the ‘Next-Gen’ consoles out that can produce life-like graphics, there spending too much tiome on the graphics side of things and not enough time on the gameplay side.

Don’t get me wrong, not all games are like that. Metal Gear Solid 2 offers both. The graphics are stunning and the gameplay is great too. It’s a win win situation.

So, the little details are important, and they are good to look at, but are game developers getting obsessed with those little details and the graphics and forgetting about gameplay?

Answer, I think not for all games.

Thanks for reading.

Liquid Snake
Fri 29/03/02 at 20:52
Regular
It’s those little details that make the games what they are. You don’t really notice them but thats what make the game special, it makes them stand out. Take Shenmue 2 for example. The detail is amazing. You look at the buildings and every brick is a different shade of orange, the clouds move when you look up at the sky. Plus the every shop has it’s own personality.

Another example is Metal Gear Solid 2. On the ‘Making of’ DvD that comes with the game, it shows the way the rain moved before they had really thought about it and planned it out properly and it looked good but not that good. But when they planned it out properly it looked very realistic. The rain moved in different directions as the wind changes direction, when the rain hit Snake’s head and back, you could see that Kojima had spent time thinking about how he could make it look as realstic as possible.

But I think the start of all this was Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The character had a lot of detail on, he was blinking like a human would, and the land that the story was set in was very detailed. I think this was the start of all the little details that game developers have become obbsesed over.

This is all very well and good, but are game developers spending too much time on graphics and little detail too make the game look good, and not enough time on the gameplay. Is that why we aren’t having quality games coming out all the time? If game developers spent as much time as they did on graphics as gameplay we would have the great game coming out all the time.

Looking back on some of the old NES/SNES games, I think they have better gameplay value than most of the games coming out today, and I think thats because old consoles couldn’t produce really good graphics so they worked on gameplay to make a game sell, but today with the ‘Next-Gen’ consoles out that can produce life-like graphics, there spending too much tiome on the graphics side of things and not enough time on the gameplay side.

Don’t get me wrong, not all games are like that. Metal Gear Solid 2 offers both. The graphics are stunning and the gameplay is great too. It’s a win win situation.

So, the little details are important, and they are good to look at, but are game developers getting obsessed with those little details and the graphics and forgetting about gameplay?

Answer, I think not for all games.

Thanks for reading.

Liquid Snake
Fri 29/03/02 at 23:20
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Extremely strange.
Very odd.

You see, me and a friend had planned a Gameaday topic that would give us a good chance of winning...and it was about 'those little details' you find in games...

Never mind, we'll elaborate it a bit.

;-)
Fri 29/03/02 at 23:50
Regular
"Hmmm....."
RM18,
Why have you posted Liquids topic in here?
Just wanted to know.
Has he asked you or something?
Sat 30/03/02 at 07:02
Regular
Because someone said to me, that it should be in FOG Prime, so I asked him
Sat 30/03/02 at 07:08
Regular
Hercules! wrote:
> RM18,
Why have you posted Liquids topic in here?
Just wanted to know.
Has he
> asked you or something?

Essentially, he forced me.
Sat 30/03/02 at 08:59
Regular
When developers go to town on graphical detail it usually means that they truly care about what they are creating, and thus they also care deeply about how the game plays as well.
If you consider all the games that have amazing graphical detail, I think you will also find that they have great gameplay.
MGS2 and Shenmue are typical examples.
Sat 30/03/02 at 12:06
Regular
"Hmmm....."
ok no problem

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.