GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Turbonutter? Stretching of Tables on WebPages?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 29/03/02 at 19:48
Regular
I have designed my website using NotePad (not the most up to date - i know!)on an 800 by 600 screen. When I access my site on larger monitors a large gap appears next to the text, yet the text still stay centers. I have tried to ammend it but with no luck!! Some please take a look at the site and code and please tell me what is wrong! The site is http://pocketninty.tk The problem occurs on all pages but the MAIN page is a good example. Someone please help me. If you need to contact me my Address is [email protected] Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sat 30/03/02 at 15:40
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Don't mention it mate.

I'm always happy to help someone who wants help with web pages and computers!!
Sat 30/03/02 at 13:14
Regular
"the burning sky"
Twain wrote:
> Okay, here you go:

http://htmlgoodies.earthweb.com/tutors/master.html

Go
> to this page and scroll down to the title "Browsers" and click on
> "Browser Detector Script".

Follow the instructions on the page that
> comes up, replacing the references to different browsers with references to
> different screen sizes.

I hope that helps.

I am gonna leave it as it is now but I am gonna use that site you suggested to create a roll over!! Thanks for the help!!
Sat 30/03/02 at 12:48
Regular
"the burning sky"
Yeah thanks for the help guys... I have opted for Whooo!'s suggestion of changin the width from "100%" to "760" Now the page stay the same size despite how much the browser window is stretched. And also the whole thing stays centered. Although I am yet to look at the site you suggested Twain...
Sat 30/03/02 at 12:47
Regular
"You Will Bow To Me"
]-[ØM€® B€€® §ØL!!D wrote:
> I have designed my website using NotePad (not the most up to date - i know!)on
> an 800 by 600 screen. When I access my site on larger monitors a large gap
> appears next to the text, yet the text still stay centers. I have tried to
> ammend it but with no luck!! Some please take a look at the site and code and
> please tell me what is wrong!

As you have already had a few suggestions as to how to slove the problem, I thought I'd give you my version :o)

I'm not exactly sure from your explanation what the problem is, but i'm assuming it's to do with the menu cell on the left, and the fact that it expands too much on a bigger resolution.

If you set the width on the menu cell / table to a fixed number of pixels instead of a %, and then keep the content cell at a % it should mean that your menu cell is the same size on every browser, and will stay in the same place, and then the content will expand based on the screen.

I'm not sure if that was the problem from your description though.
Sat 30/03/02 at 11:44
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Okay, here you go:

http://htmlgoodies.earthweb.com/tutors/master.html

Go to this page and scroll down to the title "Browsers" and click on "Browser Detector Script".

Follow the instructions on the page that comes up, replacing the references to different browsers with references to different screen sizes.

I hope that helps.
Sat 30/03/02 at 11:40
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
That width will cause problems with screen resolutions of 640 x 480 though. Here's what I recommend:

Make four pages, three of them with exactly the same content, but adjust the width and height attributs on all images and tables to keep their proportion, but fit the screen, if you know what I mean.

Then, on the fourth page, write a JavaScript which redirects you to the relevant page based on:

- Browser type
- Browser version
- Screen resolution

I'll try to find a website which teaches you how to do this and reply when I find it.
Fri 29/03/02 at 22:47
Regular
"How Handy."
Sorry, Turbonutter's in Greece at the moment, so you'll have to put up with us.

Your using a width="100%" tag in your table tag, which means that the entire table will be stretched to fit the page. The ways to get round this are to either make all the sizes on the page into percentages, or use my favoured method, having them all in pixels.

All my websites (andi.tk, l2productions.co.uk, lewq.2y.net/ov, britleisure.co.uk) use a table width of 760 pixels, which should fit 800x600 perfectly. I center the table so it looks pretty good on all res hopefully.

And on another note, I tend to use some software called 1st Page 2000, its similar to Notepad (ie, a text editor) but it has syntax highlighting to help you find things easily, and a preview function. It was Turbonutter that suggested this software to me because he used it in Windows too.
Fri 29/03/02 at 21:10
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
OK, I think I know what you mean. You said you did the page in Notepad, so you must know HTML.

I'm not quite sure how to explain this, but I'll give it a go.

The code that you need is width="100%". Try inserting this into the tag that you are having trouble with. So you have something like,

Let me know if this works or not, there might be a few other things that you can try.
Fri 29/03/02 at 19:48
Regular
"the burning sky"
I have designed my website using NotePad (not the most up to date - i know!)on an 800 by 600 screen. When I access my site on larger monitors a large gap appears next to the text, yet the text still stay centers. I have tried to ammend it but with no luck!! Some please take a look at the site and code and please tell me what is wrong! The site is http://pocketninty.tk The problem occurs on all pages but the MAIN page is a good example. Someone please help me. If you need to contact me my Address is [email protected] Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.