GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Man, I Hate Sony"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 29/03/02 at 02:52
Regular
Ok, I thought we could all amalgamate into a nice healthy rant on the problems with Sony. Come on, gather round, don't be shy, it'll be fun. Because I need to get so much sh...stuff...off my chest. Deep breath, here goes...

1) They aren't a proper games company and don't know much more about games than I do about nuclear fission. They have no pedigree, and their games are all third-party.

2) The playstation was a post-pub-****-up accompaniment to a takeaway and vomit. Pub. Takeaway. Vomit. Playstation. So really, we shouldn't be comparing it to Nintendo's finest, but rather, Open University, the merits of Kylie Minogue over Britney Spears, Why Dave Is A Good Bloke, a tube of Pringles, and England's left-sided midfield problem.

3) The games were, with a few notable exceptions, utter drivel. Clearly, Sony had not figured on the soberly-challenged wasters noticing this fact. And what few good games there were, were glacially far apart, and for every half-decent game there was, there would be maybe 100 you wouldn't buy in a million years. Unless you had been impressed with them at Dave's House. I really hope no-one here is called Dave.

4) Where the hell did ps owners get off saying that it was superior to the n64? Are they sensory-deficient? Was the haemoglobin pausing before reaching the brain? I mean, seriously, I have produced better games than Parappa the Rapper out of my back passage. Or how about Bishi Bashi? No, I'm being serious, it's there. Or what about Crash Bandicoot? Utter garbage. Play a real game.

5) If I hear one more time about the ability to play cds or dvds, I will not be held accountable for my actions. Look, has it ever occured to you that cd players play cds too? Did people really need that function when cd was out for a decade beforehand? Plus, it played them sh**. And you couldn't watch telly on mute at the same time, or play a game. Didn't every man, woman and beast already have several cd players? Same with the dvd crap. Two years earlier, maybe it would have been a good idea. But it plays them damned awful too, with that green screen nonsense.

6) I really hated the way that the playstation came to be seen as the generic video games console. I am sure I am not the only one who was interrupted when playing the n64, asked if I was on the playstation. "Oh, he's on the playstation again" syndrome.

7) the awful controller. Especially when compared to the n64's revolutionary analogue stick. All they did was copy the SNES's pad. But by then, the d-pad was obselete. Too clumsy. But for games like crash bandicoot, who gives a? It didn't sit well.

8) OK, I know Nintendo gamers are also guilty of buying into FIFA games, but it was far more common in playstation ranks. No-one seemed to actually get how bad they were, but man they sold well.

9) Mary Kate and Ashley: Crush Course. Goofy's Fun House. Rugrats in Paris. Pajama Sam. Bishi Bashi. Lada Rally. Ok, so the last one's made up. The rest aren't.

10) The t***ers that bought it.
Fri 29/03/02 at 02:52
Ok, I thought we could all amalgamate into a nice healthy rant on the problems with Sony. Come on, gather round, don't be shy, it'll be fun. Because I need to get so much sh...stuff...off my chest. Deep breath, here goes...

1) They aren't a proper games company and don't know much more about games than I do about nuclear fission. They have no pedigree, and their games are all third-party.

2) The playstation was a post-pub-****-up accompaniment to a takeaway and vomit. Pub. Takeaway. Vomit. Playstation. So really, we shouldn't be comparing it to Nintendo's finest, but rather, Open University, the merits of Kylie Minogue over Britney Spears, Why Dave Is A Good Bloke, a tube of Pringles, and England's left-sided midfield problem.

3) The games were, with a few notable exceptions, utter drivel. Clearly, Sony had not figured on the soberly-challenged wasters noticing this fact. And what few good games there were, were glacially far apart, and for every half-decent game there was, there would be maybe 100 you wouldn't buy in a million years. Unless you had been impressed with them at Dave's House. I really hope no-one here is called Dave.

4) Where the hell did ps owners get off saying that it was superior to the n64? Are they sensory-deficient? Was the haemoglobin pausing before reaching the brain? I mean, seriously, I have produced better games than Parappa the Rapper out of my back passage. Or how about Bishi Bashi? No, I'm being serious, it's there. Or what about Crash Bandicoot? Utter garbage. Play a real game.

5) If I hear one more time about the ability to play cds or dvds, I will not be held accountable for my actions. Look, has it ever occured to you that cd players play cds too? Did people really need that function when cd was out for a decade beforehand? Plus, it played them sh**. And you couldn't watch telly on mute at the same time, or play a game. Didn't every man, woman and beast already have several cd players? Same with the dvd crap. Two years earlier, maybe it would have been a good idea. But it plays them damned awful too, with that green screen nonsense.

6) I really hated the way that the playstation came to be seen as the generic video games console. I am sure I am not the only one who was interrupted when playing the n64, asked if I was on the playstation. "Oh, he's on the playstation again" syndrome.

7) the awful controller. Especially when compared to the n64's revolutionary analogue stick. All they did was copy the SNES's pad. But by then, the d-pad was obselete. Too clumsy. But for games like crash bandicoot, who gives a? It didn't sit well.

8) OK, I know Nintendo gamers are also guilty of buying into FIFA games, but it was far more common in playstation ranks. No-one seemed to actually get how bad they were, but man they sold well.

9) Mary Kate and Ashley: Crush Course. Goofy's Fun House. Rugrats in Paris. Pajama Sam. Bishi Bashi. Lada Rally. Ok, so the last one's made up. The rest aren't.

10) The t***ers that bought it.
Fri 29/03/02 at 03:12
Regular
So then...you really hate Sony huh?

Well, I suppose its kinda original these days. The "in" thing to do is hate Microsoft.

I used to be a hater, then I bought a PS2. Nuff quality stuff on this console. Metal Gear Solid 2, Pro evolution Soccer, GTA3, GT3. Okay, nothing really Epic which compares to Zelda on any level but there hasnt been anything else around for the last year has there.

I bought my last PS2 game in the form of Metal Gear Solid 2. GameCube is paid for in full and will be at my doorstep on launch day. I Might go for a few more PS2 games such as Stuntman, Driver 3, The Getaway, and a few others that I havnt thought of. But Gamecube will be the primary console.

Dont understand why you dissing the DVD capability. Its pritty cool if you got your console set-up in your Bedroom. Okay, it doesnt have the greatest playback in the world but its a nice extra aint it?
Fri 29/03/02 at 03:25
Ok, let me clear something up first. I've changed names, not by depol or anything. The term "Benkaye" is my lil brother, this is me talking, big brother. My problem is really with the ps1, not so much the ps2. I do enjoy playing the latter in fact, the games gta3 and gt3 are exceptional, I'm more reserved about Metal Gear. I accept for some that the dvd is a good thing, and to argue against a bonus like that is seemingly irrational.

However, I dislike the way that it is put across as a major feature, which it is not. At £200, it is not cheap enough, nor good enough, to call itself a dvd player, that also happens to play games as well. So it is not an integrated entertainment solution. The green screen syndrome has plagued me before, and it isn't multi-region without hooky. What is also annoying is seeing ps2s bundled with rubbish dvds, and seeing shops like game and electronique's boutique start selling dvds, when many customers would have welcomed their addition much sooner. Nor is dvd a particularly novel idea, been around as it has for three years at least in this country. So many households already own a dvd player. I just don't see it as a big deal, that's all.
Fri 29/03/02 at 03:46
Regular
Consider how long ago development on the PS2 actually started. We got the console in late 2000 so the PS2 with its DVD playback must have been thought before DVD became a big thing over here. Also, they put the DVD playback facility into it becasue DVD players are apparently expensive in Japan...Apparently many people in Japan bought a PS2 just for playing DVDs without actually buying any games..

I understand what you saying about Games shops selling DVDs...But why would they have sold them before hand? They coudnt have been sure that thier customers all had DVD players...but the release of PS2 they had a much larger percentage of thier cusomers who had access to DVD playback.
Fri 29/03/02 at 04:35
Ok, I actually bought my DVD player in Hong Kong and, let me tell you, they were cheap as chips out there. I cannot believe Japan, the most technologically-advanced country in the world, is struggling to keep the costs of dvd down, when they are typically two to three years ahead of us. Therefore, whilst dvd was of moderate novelty to Europe back in 2000, it was no novelty to the Japanese, who have them in their fridges, or so I'm told. But that really isn't the point I'm making. I'm saying that the dvd is no big deal, especially considering its quality, still less so for the more tech-savvy Americans and Japanese. but it's made to be a huge selling point. You compare that to a Gamecube, that aims to be the purist's choice, with no unnecessary bells and whistles that get in the way of the game-playing experience. Now if we are to believe sales figures, virtually every modern household has a dvd player. Therefore, it would seem reasonable that game and eb, two of the biggest sector retailers, would sell dvds before the ps2. But to reiterate what I said before the whole thread of this debate fell away, I just don't see the addition of a third-rate dvd player to a piece of equipment worth two hundred notes A Big Deal. You can disagree with me all you want, and maybe it is for some people such as yourself, but that is the joy of debate; you have your opinions and I'll have mine. And I don't even really mind the ps2 as a console, it's more specifically the PS1 and Sony at large.
Fri 29/03/02 at 10:54
sony is the best!!!!!
:) :]
Fri 29/03/02 at 11:03
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
Hey, we don't want Sony PLaystation lovers in the Nintendo forum !! (Although the other stuff like T.V's is good quality) :<
Fri 29/03/02 at 11:26
meltdown wrote:
> sony is the best!!!!!

Why did u write tha in the nintendo forum, go back to the sony one.
Fri 29/03/02 at 11:27
meltdown wrote:
> sony is the best!!!!!

Why did u write tha in the nintendo forum, go back to the sony one
Fri 29/03/02 at 11:31
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
eskimo-bob2000 wrote:
> meltdown wrote:
> sony is the best!!!!!

Why did u write tha in the
> nintendo forum, go back to the sony one

You tell him eskimo-bob2000 !

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.