GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ps2...the best....or the best ripofff......."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/10/00 at 20:50
Regular
I personally think that ps2 will be the christmas #1 selling-wise. It has almost everything you can ask for ....great graphics...great games...(tekken tag.)...and great discussion topic. But has anyone actually thought that 300 quid is a lot of money to pay for such a small object that will only probably last you until the next console comes out. What do you think of this..........hmm
Mon 09/10/00 at 20:50
I personally think that ps2 will be the christmas #1 selling-wise. It has almost everything you can ask for ....great graphics...great games...(tekken tag.)...and great discussion topic. But has anyone actually thought that 300 quid is a lot of money to pay for such a small object that will only probably last you until the next console comes out. What do you think of this..........hmm
Mon 09/10/00 at 21:04
It's no more than we paid for the original machine 5 years ago. It's far more powerful, has much more expansion possibility (a digital camera and colour printer are to be released soon, along with internet connectivity), and it also functions as a DVD player.

Sega are currently offering a Dreamcast and a DVD player for roughly the same money, so you can either have them seperately, or all in one - but it'll cost you the same.

Everything costs more here than in Europe or the US, from computers, through CD's and DVD's, to cars, so PS2 is hardly a unique case, and shouldn't be targetted unfairly.

So, all things considered, it *is* a lot of money, but a rip-off? I personally think not.
Mon 09/10/00 at 22:31
Regular
"Whatever!"
Personally I dont think £300 is too much to ask. It seems a lot on paper, but the original PSX was about the same price when that was first released and now this is five years later, you would expect it to be a lot more. With the added bonus of a DVD player as well, that alone would cost you £150-£200, plus the ability to play almost any PSX1 game, I think it is a bargain.
Was it the Sega Saturn that was £399 when it first came out? What a rip!! There is no way the PS2 will flop the way the Saturn did, so everything should be kitted out for at least five maybe six years.
Tue 10/10/00 at 10:19
I personally dont think that it is a rip off but I believe the price will put off many casual gamers. As the PS2 has a DVD player built in as well as being a games machine it is quite a reasonable price. I consider the cost of purchases in relation to how long they will bring me pleasure. In the case of the PS2 for example I would imagine that at the very minimum I will continue to enjoy playing it for at least 2 years and this only works out at £12.50 a month. Not much I think you will agree.

I would gladly pay the £300 just for a games machine (I paid £400 pounds for an imported American SNES and never regretted it). Also if I find myself using the PS2 to play DVD's (which I am sure I will) then I will still be using it for this long after I have stopped playing games on it.

That is a worse case scenario, however, if the PS2 has the support and the contunuos improvment of software that the PS1 had, then I may still be playing games on it in five years time. If this is the case then really it will only be costing me £5 a month. This of course does not include the additional costs of peripherals or games but as the amount of these that are purchased is up to the individual you can spend as much or as little as you want.

It is true that the craziest ones among us will always want to get hold of the latest, greatest console and as a result we will probably buy one or more of the other next gen consoles if they are good enough. This does not mean that we will stop playing our PS2's, however, and for the average gamer I think the PS2 will be a good investment. The price will drop eventually but I for one am willing to pay an extra £50 to get the console 6 months earlier. That is because I love games. If I did not I would have alot more money, but would I be so happy!!! Probably not.
Tue 10/10/00 at 17:15
many gamers that i know first thought that it was too much....on the other hand if a console 5 years ago cost the same....then ps2 buyers like moi are in for a real bargain.....we will probably save about 150 pounds on the dvd player. But again...what will ps2 owners of the future do when better cosoles come out..(after microsoft,sega and nintendo) who knows....maybe another company will take the challenge on....(panasonic, mitsubishi...hitachi,etc..) ?
Tue 10/10/00 at 17:18
>But again...what will ps2 owners of the future do when
>better cosoles come out

No offence, but that's a slightly pointless question. Whichever machine you buy, something better will be out in a few years time. It's not a problem exclusive to the PS2!
Tue 10/10/00 at 17:36
Babylonian wrote:
> >But again...what will ps2 owners of the future do when
> >better cosoles come out
>
> No offence, but that's a slightly pointless question.
Tue 10/10/00 at 17:38
from above......i already knew that noone would stick with the ps2...i was simply creating a build up to saying that many other companies may join in on the cosole wars.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.