GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sorry Luigi"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/03/02 at 19:17
Regular
It had come to my attention about two years or so ago, that the gamecube was going to be released in Europe. I saw it in black, white and many other colours I also saw on the page of my Nintendo Official Magazine. Naturally I would be jumping for joy telling all my friends and distant cousins I never talk to about this major event. But that day was different. I knew that after I heard the news nothing in Nintendo history would be the same again.(Huge gasp and eerie silence after)

The big, massive, huge reason I was so disappointed and unsure of the new console being released was that the release game, that I always buy on the launch date and am so impressed by the great graphics ,sounds and the game itself was not going to be what I expected at all. It was not going to include the red caped, podgy, little plumber we love and adore now was it.(For those of you who do not know who I'm refering to, it's Mario.) It was going to have his lanky younger brother. Luigi!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was so shocking. So shocking that I planned not to buy one till after a while it was released. And during that time I relised Nintendo had gone mad.

All my friends were on about how bad or how amazingly cool it was going to be and what a good idea it was while I tried not to get involved. After a while I ended up buying a Dreamcast. Oh My God I thought. Why hadn't I bought this sooner. I had bought Sonic Adventure to begin with and that is what dragged me in. Over the months my collection grew. It contained around 20 games. Including Royal Rumble which was the first wrestling game to have more than four wrestlers in the ring at once. I also had Virtua Tennis which is (in my opinion) one of the best best sports games I' ve ever played. It is definately up the top with Tony Hawk and others. It was the greatest ever.

But this was not for long as the new game releases grew smaller and smaller and the greatness of each game decreased along with it. I eventually decided it was time to move on and sell my dreamcast. So I asked my mum if she could place and ad in the paper. She did so and after a few weeks I found a buyer. He was happy, I was happy but still a little fogged on what to do next.

Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. I would buy a Playstation 2. There was only one problem though. I had only the money from the old dreamcast and some what 20 games I owned and that does not get you much. The money I got was around £140!!!!!! So there were two options.

-I would wait till Christmas (which was a way off yet) and ask for one from my parents. Or

-I would get a damn job!!!!!!!!

At the time getting a job seemed like a good idea so I got one. Within one week I had my papers and my trolley and was on my way. I had 180 papers to deliver and I thought the pay was going to be good, but when it came to pay day I the money I got was £6. £6. The only thing I wanted to do after that was quit the stinking job so I asked my parents and they said no. What!!!! They told me to keep it because I wanted it and it was my responsibility blah blah blah..... I couldn't believe it . I had a job that payed peanuts and no games console.

This was the biggest downside of the year to me. I waited and waited for Christmas and my paper round money and then I noticed something. I picked up a Nintendo gamecube Magazine and looked at the front cover. It read "Luigi's Mansion. Find out how the fright fest plays in our ten page review." I laughed and looked to see how badly it did in the rating system. But to my surprise, it did bloody good. It got 90%. The game I was hating got 90%.

After that I still wasn't considering a Gamecube and kept my eyes on the Playststion 2. So finally it was Christmas and I had kept hinting to my parents that I wanted th Playstation 2. And not to my surprise I got it. I was so happy that I immediately played it in my room. The games I got were Smackdown 3 and Pro Evolution Soccer. it was great fun and played it till school started. But one problem yet again. There was something wrong with it. we took it back to the shop we got it from and they were very helpful. They gave me a refund since there were no new Playstation 2s left. So again no console.

Near present day now and I look on the internet. I look at reviews and there it is again in huge capital letters. "Luigi's Mansion is the best original adventure game ever." Wow It thought. I better keep an eye on it. A few days after I see windows with signs saying "Nintendo Gamecube. Pre-Order Now." I go in and ask the guy about it. He told me it would be better than the Playstation 2 and X Box. He gave me a leaflet and I had amde my mind up. It was time to buy a Nintendo gamecube.

It wasn't till later I went into Toys 'r' us and saw the first palyable X Box and Gamecube. The gamecube had a much bigger section and better looking advertisements. At first I played the Box and thought it was nothing much.

Overall it was like a Playstation 2
It was huge
It had terrible games
It was average. But I want better than average. And so does everyone else. So I played the Nintendo Gamecube. I looked at the demos and saw Luigi's Mansion. I played it and boy was it so amazing. The console was so much better.

Overall it was much smaller
had better games
It was the best games console ever.

After that I hurried to the front desk. Slapped down ten quid and pre-ordered the Gamecube. This is the trouble I had with getting a good reliable console and now I look back on it I laugh. (Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha He!) It was stupid to leave the Gamecube because of the fact Luigi had his own game. I regret it and apologise to all Luigi fans. Luigi can have his own game any day. It is so damn good. So is anyone else getting a gamecube and do you agree with me that Luigi's Mansion is the best.
Sun 31/03/02 at 00:09
Well my story is I was a loyal sega fan been there through the good times and the bad but after the dc I was going to get a nitendo gamecube aswell as my ps2 but I looked at the release dates and most of the games are rage yet again just like the n64 So I decided being the gc so cheap anyways I will get it with my birthday money and get an x-box aswell. So today I got an x-box and boy was I shocked I thought it wouldn't be anything special but boy it was Halo PGR and Amped are blinding games. But its down to everyone's personal opinion I guess personally I will be getting all 3 because I am one lucky kid :)
Sat 30/03/02 at 21:35
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Can we please talk about the topic you two.
Sat 30/03/02 at 11:53
Regular
"I Control All Pikmi"
Well said A5hley. I think it is cool supporting a football team even if they are not as good as Liverpool. Reading rule.
Fri 29/03/02 at 22:27
Regular
Ghost Killer wrote:
> Cheers ReadingFC. By the way. Why are you supporting such a rubbish football
> team. They may get promoted this year but they will get religated back down next
> year.

I hear the words of a glory supporter. why do people have a go at low league supporters as they are clearly the loyal and dedicated fans who are there in the good times and the bad. Reading are a good team and are unlucky not to have been in the premiership. If they had gone up instead of bolton they probably would have stayed up or at least been fluctuating between the leagues like bolton.
Fri 29/03/02 at 22:13
Regular
"I Control All Pikmi"
PS2,N64,SNES,PS1,GBA,GBC and the best is PS2. The fact Luigi is in the release game is cool and you made a great choice to realise that Luigi rocks
Fri 29/03/02 at 21:36
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Cheers ReadingFC. By the way. Why are you supporting such a rubbish football team. They may get promoted this year but they will get religated back down next year. Also what consoles does anyone own at the moment. If you own more than one what is the best?
Fri 29/03/02 at 20:56
Regular
"I Control All Pikmi"
Good post ghost killer and thats true thats true!
Fri 29/03/02 at 17:33
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Gnome_Killer44 wrote:
>I just started saving up and i have enough money (more than enough with all the waiting) and on
> the 3rd of May i'm going to get myself some great games. Including Luigi's
> Mansion.
It's nice to see you made the right decision in the end!

Thanks for that and also a great choice you made. By the way what other games are you getting.
Fri 29/03/02 at 13:42
Regular
"Link to the Future"
Good choice, but why did you go and buy a dreamcast then PS2? Does it really matter whether it's Mario or Luigi? They would play just the same. Ever since i saw the first pictures of the GameCube in NOM I have wanted a GameCube and i couldn't really be bothered whether Mario would be there or not. I didn't really care ho much it was going to cost or how long i'd have to wait. I just started saving up and i have enough money (more than enough with all the waiting) and on the 3rd of May i'm going to get myself some great games. Including Luigi's Mansion.
It's nice to see you made the right decision in the end!
Fri 29/03/02 at 09:34
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
I cannot wait till Mario Sunshine is released. It will be better than other platforers by far.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.