GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Maxx Proffesional pc"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/03/02 at 15:45
Regular
Any one seen the new MAXX PC PROFFESIONAL system in the mag or at http://maxxpc.com/professional.php, it is a really cool spec but sooooooo expensive, would any of you guys actually buy this product and if so what would you change?.

c.b.
Thu 28/03/02 at 15:45
Regular
Any one seen the new MAXX PC PROFFESIONAL system in the mag or at http://maxxpc.com/professional.php, it is a really cool spec but sooooooo expensive, would any of you guys actually buy this product and if so what would you change?.

c.b.
Thu 28/03/02 at 15:57
Regular
The only thing I'd say is wrong with it is the amount of RAM.

Only 256 MB? Anyone spending that much on a system would need it for some serious applications, so more RAM would definately help. Maybe 512, or even a Gig?
Thu 28/03/02 at 16:00
Only one processor???? Give us dual or quad processor options and I might consider using it as a doorstop ;)))
Thu 28/03/02 at 16:27
Regular
"..."
I think it looks wicked! not sure on the front mounted sound card, looks nasty. probably a really good card, but just don't like it at the front of the tower..
Thu 28/03/02 at 16:29
"High polygon count"
And only XP Home Edition? Why no Pro?
Thu 28/03/02 at 16:29
Regular
"..."
good question...! I have got XP Pro, it rocks!
Thu 28/03/02 at 18:26
Yeah, it does have a great spec, but you pay the price for it. As for the front mounted sound card, I'm sure the idea of it is easy access, if you are using the PC as a pro / semi-pro sound editing suite, it could be a pain to be reacing around the back for wires to changeover and stuff. I think the sound card at the front makes it look hardcore!!!
Thu 28/03/02 at 19:23
Regular
"How Handy."
The Audigy Drive at the front are excellent, highly useful. They mean you can plug in headphones, microphones, midi devices, even MD Players without routing round behind your PC. The Audigy one there comes with a Remote Control, Optical Outs for an MD recorder, all sorts of headphone, microphone and so on ports, and a very cool firewire port.

I currently use a standard Audigy without the Audigy drive, and I'm looking out for someone selling one so I can upgrade mine. They look cool and are very useful.
Thu 28/03/02 at 23:51
Regular
The main problem with this pc is that it will either be baught by a tech head, and in that case they will realise the enormous price and buy the bits elsewere and build it themselves or by a show off who doesnt really know much about computer hardware and it would be just a status symbol, i think it is a really good spec apart from the ram (as your honour metioned), hardly anyone has 256MB in there pc's anymore, but the one main thing that makes it look cheap is the case and monitor being white but the speakers and part of the keyboard and mouse being black, it would be soooo much nicer if they had gone for a black case and monitor or white speakers, but £3500 is a wopper of a price i would love to build a pc of that spec though, another problem might be with the fact that i don't think the pentium 4 2.4 is actually out yet?

c.b.
Thu 04/04/02 at 18:56
Regular
I agree, most of the specs are good apart from a couple of things:

The RAM - 256Mb is not enough, even if it is running at a high clock rate. Windows XP itself needs more than that.

The CD writer - 12x? Look around and you will find a 40x or at least a 32x.

Microsoft XP? That's what Nintendo's OS would look like if they made one - big kiddie graphics and more colours than Dulux have in their range. The OS alone needs more than 256Mb of RAM to run at full speed, and it is just SO, SO kiddie. Yes, I know there is a 'classic' theme there but it doesn't work well and was thrown together in 30 seconds.

Why exactly everyone's getting so excited I don't know - this clock speed (2.4Ghz) is just one thing that determines the speed of a computer, and Intel's inefficient chips need this extra speed to carry out the same number of calculations as an AMD running much, much slower.

My AMD is running at 1.6Ghz, yet performs more calculations per second than a 2.1Ghz Pentium 4 because of the smaller number of steps within the processor architechture. Instead of paying through the nose for this Pentium, save yourself two grand and build an AMD machine yourself that will hammer this one into the ground.

Gareth

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.