GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Diehard stinker?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Die Hard Trilogy'.
Thu 24/10/02 at 12:24
Regular
Taken from panetgamecube.com

I was a big fan of Die Hard Trilogy for the PlayStation, so I really wanted to see what Bits Studios would do with Die Hard. I got a good deal of time with it in single player (I didn't check if there was multi), and this is what I've got to say about it.

The biggest problem the game has right off is the control. Yes, there are lots of options you can choose between the two major control styles (Goldeneye/Turok), and the standard extra toggles (auto aim, look spring, sensitivity), but two huge control problems just make the game almost unplayable. When trying to aim with the C-Stick normally, there's a good deal of cursor movement that takes place before the screen turns with your character, made worse by the fact that the cursor always springs back to the center of the screen, which you cannot turn off in the options. Even more appalling is the C-Stick's sensitivity; even the slightest movement of the stick at the lowest stick sensitivity will cause the aiming cursor to jump in the direction that you're pointing it in. It's not smooth in the cases where extreme precision is necessary, which unfortunately means that the only way you can get into this game is if they auto aim is turned on, and kept on. Even though there is an aiming button (hold L, move the Control Stick), this still relies on the cursor movement, which springs back. Disappointing.

After I figured out how to manage with the controls, I jumped into the game. There were two levels available to play in this demo: a weapons training level and what appeared to be the first level in the game, a mansion setup. The training stage is pretty straightforward, where you simply grab a gun and shoot at a target. (Hitting it is another story, since aiming is way too touchy.) The mansion stage has you talking to the policemen sitting outside it as they work to break their way in through the front gates, one of which is our good buddy Al from the first Die Hard movie, which was a nice addition.

The gameplay is pretty quick, but is severely hindered by the control. The auto aim radius is extremely generous, which helps the aiming problems immensely, but obviously takes a lot away from the game, making it more run and gun. Then again, that's what Die Hard is about.

The graphics are a bit suspect. Some things look pretty nice, but some things look like they were ripped from the N64. Some characters look like they've been cut and pasted into the game (or the game hasn't been cleaned up yet, which I doubt, with the release so close). It's a pretty bland visual package.

Die Hard: Vendetta is a huge letdown. I was expecting a lot more in the control department, because even if the game looks old, it could be more fun if I didn't need to struggle with the controls. Too bad.

Well I certainly won't be pre-ordering it until i've read some reviews, sounds to me like my predictions have come true and this game is going to well and truly stink.
Thu 24/10/02 at 12:24
Regular
Taken from panetgamecube.com

I was a big fan of Die Hard Trilogy for the PlayStation, so I really wanted to see what Bits Studios would do with Die Hard. I got a good deal of time with it in single player (I didn't check if there was multi), and this is what I've got to say about it.

The biggest problem the game has right off is the control. Yes, there are lots of options you can choose between the two major control styles (Goldeneye/Turok), and the standard extra toggles (auto aim, look spring, sensitivity), but two huge control problems just make the game almost unplayable. When trying to aim with the C-Stick normally, there's a good deal of cursor movement that takes place before the screen turns with your character, made worse by the fact that the cursor always springs back to the center of the screen, which you cannot turn off in the options. Even more appalling is the C-Stick's sensitivity; even the slightest movement of the stick at the lowest stick sensitivity will cause the aiming cursor to jump in the direction that you're pointing it in. It's not smooth in the cases where extreme precision is necessary, which unfortunately means that the only way you can get into this game is if they auto aim is turned on, and kept on. Even though there is an aiming button (hold L, move the Control Stick), this still relies on the cursor movement, which springs back. Disappointing.

After I figured out how to manage with the controls, I jumped into the game. There were two levels available to play in this demo: a weapons training level and what appeared to be the first level in the game, a mansion setup. The training stage is pretty straightforward, where you simply grab a gun and shoot at a target. (Hitting it is another story, since aiming is way too touchy.) The mansion stage has you talking to the policemen sitting outside it as they work to break their way in through the front gates, one of which is our good buddy Al from the first Die Hard movie, which was a nice addition.

The gameplay is pretty quick, but is severely hindered by the control. The auto aim radius is extremely generous, which helps the aiming problems immensely, but obviously takes a lot away from the game, making it more run and gun. Then again, that's what Die Hard is about.

The graphics are a bit suspect. Some things look pretty nice, but some things look like they were ripped from the N64. Some characters look like they've been cut and pasted into the game (or the game hasn't been cleaned up yet, which I doubt, with the release so close). It's a pretty bland visual package.

Die Hard: Vendetta is a huge letdown. I was expecting a lot more in the control department, because even if the game looks old, it could be more fun if I didn't need to struggle with the controls. Too bad.

Well I certainly won't be pre-ordering it until i've read some reviews, sounds to me like my predictions have come true and this game is going to well and truly stink.
Thu 24/10/02 at 12:27
Regular
"aliens exist"
ive said it before and i'll say it again, TimeSplitters2 will be the best fps, better than die hard and better than metroid prime, even though metroid prime will be hugely overhyped by all of the nintendo magazines just because its a nintendo exclusive,
Thu 24/10/02 at 12:42
Regular
Untitled wrote:
> ive said it before and i'll say it again, TimeSplitters2 will be the
> best fps, better than die hard and better than metroid prime, even
> though metroid prime will be hugely overhyped by all of the nintendo
> magazines just because its a nintendo exclusive,

Ummm have you actualy seen the videos of Metroid?

It looks amazing and it's not only the Nintendo magazines that have been hyping the game, Gamesradar, IGN, Gamespot all think it looks amazing. It was one of the suprise attractions of E3, game journalists went mad about it.

There's no doubt that this game is gonna rule, I wasn't sure about it at first but from the screenshots i've seen recently and the video clips i've seen it's probably my most wanted game on the Cube.
Thu 24/10/02 at 14:23
Regular
Ah well, I never had high hopes for Vendetta...

Metroid and Timesplitters 2 are what I've been looking foward to :D
Thu 24/10/02 at 14:31
Regular
"Long time no see!"
No. I won't believe it! :P
Die Hard simply cannot be that bad...

I won't believe it untill I see it for myself. :P

I'll probably still pre-order it after a REAL preview or two though.
Thu 24/10/02 at 15:08
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Iv'e not really been expecting much from the game since I first heard of it's development, so haven't built my hopes up on it being any good.

Plus the last Die Hard game which was released (Nakatomi Plaza) was crap, and I know it wasn't devloped by the same team behind Vendetta, but it just shows you that even with a great licence like Die Hard, the games based on the films can still be pretty rubbish.

It'd be good if it turns out to be a great game, but I'll not be holding my breath.
Thu 24/10/02 at 16:52
To let you guys know, Timesplitters is majorly overhyped. The gameplay is great, modes ares wicked but the one player stinks. Not brilliant but very good.

Anyway, I thought Die Hard would have a few faults, hopefully Metroid Prime is good.
Thu 24/10/02 at 22:14
Regular
What the..? Timesplitters 2 is an amazing game! In my opinion, the best FPS to date, and a worthy successor to Goldeneye's throne. It's got a fantastic one player mode, and excells in multiplayer, leaving games like Halo in it's dominant wake.
Thu 24/10/02 at 22:27
I was very disappointed with the one player, but the multiplayer is exceptional.

Virus mode is so cool! I recommend you go to the hospital level.
Fri 25/10/02 at 00:46
Regular
Yeah! That's my favourite! It's just so frantic!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.