GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming: Through the Ages"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 24/10/02 at 13:38
Regular
I have following gaming for years and years as a loyal fan, but only now have a found that gaming stretches to the 18-Hundeds! Yes, I have been researching and I've come across some very interesting gaming moments. So without further ado, here are some gaming times that you may not have heard of.

At this time, putting a coin into a machine and looking through a hole to see a video was all very normal. But then came a man with extra-ordinary ideas! His name was Donk Van Kon (Shigsy said he got his inspiration from King Kong and Donkey's, but I think differently.) At first his crazy ideas was criticised by all. The world is a cube? The sabre tooth tiger was still alive, only with shorter teeth? But whenever people questioned his techniques he simply laughed and gave witty answers like "Well why else is there so much flat land?" and "How could get killed with teeth that big?"
But on the eve of his birthday in 1862, he had thought of his most irrational idea yet. To control what happened in a motion-box. He announced that he had found a way to do this, but was ignored. He took months sketching up plans but he finally did it. There was wind-up levels to control everything the character did, the aim of the game was to simply get a coin at the other side of the room you start on, avoiding 'waste' that people threw from their windows.
Sadly, it was never a big hit. Only three people played his machine and said he was the devil, so him and his machine were strung up to a tree upside-down and the tree was burned. The people neglected to realise he would just fall off when the rope burned, so when that happened, they chopped his head off instead.

Just after the invention of the brighter, longer lasting light bulbs in 1905, this was a perfect time to start using lights to make games. Although nothing was thought about using lights fun until two years after an upgrade of the existing light, it was an amazing idea at the time. Proffesor Foxemus Skye (Shigsy said Fox McCloud got his name from looking like a fox, but I think differently) had been working on new ways to generate lighting for years, but never found anything better than the light bulb. He came up with a burning stick that was encased in a glass jar, but it didn't work. Other inventions such as the 'Never-Ending Candle' ended up in 4 of his houses being burned to ash.
But then, after staring at a light bulb for 5 hours, he thought of something, which revolutionised life today. Using lights to play games as well as lighting the common household.
Skye didn't announce what he had discovered, because, first of all, he hadn't done any plans and, secondly, it might not work. It only took him a matter of weeks to find a design that worked, but that was full 24 hours of working everyday.
He design was simple, but effective. A grid of lights had wires coming from the bottom, linking up to the real beauty of the machine - the control pad. Basically, the idea was simple. You were a line of green lights at the bottom of the grid and you controlled one light at a time. Lights fall from the top and you must try to dodge these. The longer you go without getting hit, the harder it gets. But if you do get hit, the light bulb blows up in your face, that's how h lost an eye.
The machine did sell well, but in 1909, there were far too many casualties to ignore and he ended up being sentenced to a lifetime imprisonment. But after he killed his cellmate and made his remaining body parts into a game, he was executed.

After Tintin hit the world in 1929, he had many followers. One in particular, was a scientist named Lugius Marfomuis (Shigsy probably named Mario and Luigi because they're Italian names, but I think differently.) He had followed Tintin since his first outing and was obsessed, he wanted to control the comic strip and make it do whatever he wanted it to do. He tried drawing comic strips, but he was no good. Then he turned to his scientific roots and came up with something brilliant. A string puppet that was controlled by electronics. A radical idea, but he believed it could be done.
He told the world and was called crazy. But he didn't give up so easily, he kept trying and trying and came up with a few models that worked, but kept tweaking them to make it perfect. Then he did it. A huge a machine a metal controller that resembles a NES pad.
The idea was you had to move the models feet and head to avoid rocks while walking around a cliff top. The further you got, the more rocks were set around a loop that continually went past Tintin. It was hugely addictive.
He made millions of dolars but ended up being visited by the creators of Tintin. Marfomuis was stabbed in the face and dies at the young age of 32.

This was the era of 'free-love' and all that, but where was gaming? I'll tell you where it was; it was hidden away in the cellar of a Greek Scientist called Yoshin Chrak (Shigsy didn't tell me where he got the name for Yoshi from, but I think different.) Yoshin had studied Science all his life, making people recover from colds and other household illnesses. But one thing he hadn't done was change how people think and see, but he knew he could.
At first he got a drug called Gaminathon Disinterate and made a solution of that and Thiswontaron Workatathon to make certain parts of the body move. This was his first huge breakthrough and he knew he could one step further and do the same to the mind.
He used a concentration of Gaminathon Disinterate and mixed it with Mindindreoh Breakolith to make the perfect solution. When these were swallowed they'd give you image of a game and your mind could only control the character made. These drugs were so popular he became the first Billionaire. He kept slightly changing the solution to come up with brand new games.
But in the view of people today, he was just a drug dealer, not a scientist, not many people knew the genius of the person and how much he could have revolutionised the gaming world.
In 1971, all his drugs were destroyed and he was burned from the inside to make a long and painful death for his actions, which supposedly 'destroyed lives'.

So there you have it. Some historic moments.

Thanks for reading

RiCkOsS
Fri 25/10/02 at 15:05
Regular
Storming post there Rickoss, incredible stuff excellent.
Thu 24/10/02 at 21:12
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
*see tagline

---------------

Good post, Deserves a GAD
Thu 24/10/02 at 21:06
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
I think I read somewhere that caveman drawings were thought to be a primitive (or should that be advanced) form of Game & Watch.
Thu 24/10/02 at 17:11
Regular
Cheers people :-)
Thu 24/10/02 at 14:37
Regular
"Foxes 4 Ever!!!"
Good post RickoSs.
Thu 24/10/02 at 14:33
Regular
"Festivus!"
Donk Von Kon - LOL! Good post RickoSs, keep up the good work you wimp. (Don't ask why I suddenly abused you at the end, it was just a way to end the post)
Thu 24/10/02 at 13:54
Regular
Don't worry, it's not real history. :-D
Thu 24/10/02 at 13:48
Regular
"sweats salad dressi"
I don't like history lessons teacher.:(
Thu 24/10/02 at 13:38
Regular
I have following gaming for years and years as a loyal fan, but only now have a found that gaming stretches to the 18-Hundeds! Yes, I have been researching and I've come across some very interesting gaming moments. So without further ado, here are some gaming times that you may not have heard of.

At this time, putting a coin into a machine and looking through a hole to see a video was all very normal. But then came a man with extra-ordinary ideas! His name was Donk Van Kon (Shigsy said he got his inspiration from King Kong and Donkey's, but I think differently.) At first his crazy ideas was criticised by all. The world is a cube? The sabre tooth tiger was still alive, only with shorter teeth? But whenever people questioned his techniques he simply laughed and gave witty answers like "Well why else is there so much flat land?" and "How could get killed with teeth that big?"
But on the eve of his birthday in 1862, he had thought of his most irrational idea yet. To control what happened in a motion-box. He announced that he had found a way to do this, but was ignored. He took months sketching up plans but he finally did it. There was wind-up levels to control everything the character did, the aim of the game was to simply get a coin at the other side of the room you start on, avoiding 'waste' that people threw from their windows.
Sadly, it was never a big hit. Only three people played his machine and said he was the devil, so him and his machine were strung up to a tree upside-down and the tree was burned. The people neglected to realise he would just fall off when the rope burned, so when that happened, they chopped his head off instead.

Just after the invention of the brighter, longer lasting light bulbs in 1905, this was a perfect time to start using lights to make games. Although nothing was thought about using lights fun until two years after an upgrade of the existing light, it was an amazing idea at the time. Proffesor Foxemus Skye (Shigsy said Fox McCloud got his name from looking like a fox, but I think differently) had been working on new ways to generate lighting for years, but never found anything better than the light bulb. He came up with a burning stick that was encased in a glass jar, but it didn't work. Other inventions such as the 'Never-Ending Candle' ended up in 4 of his houses being burned to ash.
But then, after staring at a light bulb for 5 hours, he thought of something, which revolutionised life today. Using lights to play games as well as lighting the common household.
Skye didn't announce what he had discovered, because, first of all, he hadn't done any plans and, secondly, it might not work. It only took him a matter of weeks to find a design that worked, but that was full 24 hours of working everyday.
He design was simple, but effective. A grid of lights had wires coming from the bottom, linking up to the real beauty of the machine - the control pad. Basically, the idea was simple. You were a line of green lights at the bottom of the grid and you controlled one light at a time. Lights fall from the top and you must try to dodge these. The longer you go without getting hit, the harder it gets. But if you do get hit, the light bulb blows up in your face, that's how h lost an eye.
The machine did sell well, but in 1909, there were far too many casualties to ignore and he ended up being sentenced to a lifetime imprisonment. But after he killed his cellmate and made his remaining body parts into a game, he was executed.

After Tintin hit the world in 1929, he had many followers. One in particular, was a scientist named Lugius Marfomuis (Shigsy probably named Mario and Luigi because they're Italian names, but I think differently.) He had followed Tintin since his first outing and was obsessed, he wanted to control the comic strip and make it do whatever he wanted it to do. He tried drawing comic strips, but he was no good. Then he turned to his scientific roots and came up with something brilliant. A string puppet that was controlled by electronics. A radical idea, but he believed it could be done.
He told the world and was called crazy. But he didn't give up so easily, he kept trying and trying and came up with a few models that worked, but kept tweaking them to make it perfect. Then he did it. A huge a machine a metal controller that resembles a NES pad.
The idea was you had to move the models feet and head to avoid rocks while walking around a cliff top. The further you got, the more rocks were set around a loop that continually went past Tintin. It was hugely addictive.
He made millions of dolars but ended up being visited by the creators of Tintin. Marfomuis was stabbed in the face and dies at the young age of 32.

This was the era of 'free-love' and all that, but where was gaming? I'll tell you where it was; it was hidden away in the cellar of a Greek Scientist called Yoshin Chrak (Shigsy didn't tell me where he got the name for Yoshi from, but I think different.) Yoshin had studied Science all his life, making people recover from colds and other household illnesses. But one thing he hadn't done was change how people think and see, but he knew he could.
At first he got a drug called Gaminathon Disinterate and made a solution of that and Thiswontaron Workatathon to make certain parts of the body move. This was his first huge breakthrough and he knew he could one step further and do the same to the mind.
He used a concentration of Gaminathon Disinterate and mixed it with Mindindreoh Breakolith to make the perfect solution. When these were swallowed they'd give you image of a game and your mind could only control the character made. These drugs were so popular he became the first Billionaire. He kept slightly changing the solution to come up with brand new games.
But in the view of people today, he was just a drug dealer, not a scientist, not many people knew the genius of the person and how much he could have revolutionised the gaming world.
In 1971, all his drugs were destroyed and he was burned from the inside to make a long and painful death for his actions, which supposedly 'destroyed lives'.

So there you have it. Some historic moments.

Thanks for reading

RiCkOsS

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.