GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"G.A.D= Game Addiction Disorder"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/03/02 at 09:44
Regular
I have GAD.
I’m not talking about the Special Reserve GAD, though their GAD is very excruciatingly addictive as you rack your brains in trying to come up with an original or bizarre topic, hungrily wanting to win more and more games.

No, I’m talking about a different GAD: Game Addiction Disorder.
Have you ever thought that video games are an addiction?
You might spend an age in trying to achieve 100% completion on Mario 64 or GTA3, collecting all those pesky dog tags in MGS2 or all the gold Skulltulas in Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Nothing else in the world seems to matter to the player when they are ‘in the zone’ and have total focus on their gaming objectives.
Games can take over your life, providing you are presented with a great game like those aforementioned ones that offer a tremendous challenge and good enjoyment.

Many people have talked recently about whether they could spend an indeterminate time without playing consoles. I for one definitely couldn’t.
I don’t think I will ever grow out of games but who knows? Many years ago I avidly collected G.I.Joe toys and loved them so much that I thought that I would never stop accumulating them.
Eventually though, I did stop, so could games go the same way??
Games are pretty different from toys though, as at 22, I would feel pretty foolish going to shops and buying all the latest line of action figures.
(But I did buy loads of Star Wars Episode 1 toys and YES; I did keep them in their boxes like millions of other geeks in the vain hope that they’ll actually be worth money in the future.....)

Games are different.
I have grown up with video games.
From the early days in watching my dad play text adventures and completing Pyjamarama on the Spectrum, playing two player Space Invaders with my brother on our Atari 2600 and the anticipation in getting a NES for Christmas to being an avid fan of the super consoles of the 21st century.
Over the years I’ve owned many consoles, ranging from the Atari 2600, Spectrum, NES & SNES to N64, PSOne, PS2, Dreamcast, GBA and soon the Gamecube. In total I’ve spend thousand upon thousand of Her Majesty’s English currency in feeding my GAD.

But am I really addicted? Yes, and you are too, and as the influence of video games on modern society catches on quicker than a fire in a match factory, GAD suffers will increase down the years.

In the future I wonder if we’ll sit on a leather settee and tell stress psychotherapists our gaming addiction problems. Maybe they could also offer hints and tips to frustrated gamers to help ease their tension.

Although I would say I’m pretty much addicted to games, they have provided me with some great entertainment down the years: From the multiplayer camaraderie and epic adventure of Secret of Mana on the SNES, years worth of brilliant multiplayer death-match larks on GoldenEye, scoring sweet goals on ISS, Mario 64, Zelda: OoT, MGS1 & 2, Resident Evil and many more all prove the addiction is worth it and there is a plus point to the addition.

At the end of the day, I would much prefer to spend my money on video games as opposed to overpriced horrid nicotine death sticks, alcohol, drugs or an uncontrollable gambling habit.
One snort of cocaine or GTA3- I know which controversial fun I’d like to enjoy. (GTA3—just in case you wondered!)
Like these other vices, video games do have their flaws to the addict; such as the harm that sitting in front of the TV can do to your eyes and all that frustration when a difficult boss near the end of a game kills you. But of all the addictions to have, GAD is the best.

Do you have GAD??
Thu 28/03/02 at 09:44
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I have GAD.
I’m not talking about the Special Reserve GAD, though their GAD is very excruciatingly addictive as you rack your brains in trying to come up with an original or bizarre topic, hungrily wanting to win more and more games.

No, I’m talking about a different GAD: Game Addiction Disorder.
Have you ever thought that video games are an addiction?
You might spend an age in trying to achieve 100% completion on Mario 64 or GTA3, collecting all those pesky dog tags in MGS2 or all the gold Skulltulas in Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Nothing else in the world seems to matter to the player when they are ‘in the zone’ and have total focus on their gaming objectives.
Games can take over your life, providing you are presented with a great game like those aforementioned ones that offer a tremendous challenge and good enjoyment.

Many people have talked recently about whether they could spend an indeterminate time without playing consoles. I for one definitely couldn’t.
I don’t think I will ever grow out of games but who knows? Many years ago I avidly collected G.I.Joe toys and loved them so much that I thought that I would never stop accumulating them.
Eventually though, I did stop, so could games go the same way??
Games are pretty different from toys though, as at 22, I would feel pretty foolish going to shops and buying all the latest line of action figures.
(But I did buy loads of Star Wars Episode 1 toys and YES; I did keep them in their boxes like millions of other geeks in the vain hope that they’ll actually be worth money in the future.....)

Games are different.
I have grown up with video games.
From the early days in watching my dad play text adventures and completing Pyjamarama on the Spectrum, playing two player Space Invaders with my brother on our Atari 2600 and the anticipation in getting a NES for Christmas to being an avid fan of the super consoles of the 21st century.
Over the years I’ve owned many consoles, ranging from the Atari 2600, Spectrum, NES & SNES to N64, PSOne, PS2, Dreamcast, GBA and soon the Gamecube. In total I’ve spend thousand upon thousand of Her Majesty’s English currency in feeding my GAD.

But am I really addicted? Yes, and you are too, and as the influence of video games on modern society catches on quicker than a fire in a match factory, GAD suffers will increase down the years.

In the future I wonder if we’ll sit on a leather settee and tell stress psychotherapists our gaming addiction problems. Maybe they could also offer hints and tips to frustrated gamers to help ease their tension.

Although I would say I’m pretty much addicted to games, they have provided me with some great entertainment down the years: From the multiplayer camaraderie and epic adventure of Secret of Mana on the SNES, years worth of brilliant multiplayer death-match larks on GoldenEye, scoring sweet goals on ISS, Mario 64, Zelda: OoT, MGS1 & 2, Resident Evil and many more all prove the addiction is worth it and there is a plus point to the addition.

At the end of the day, I would much prefer to spend my money on video games as opposed to overpriced horrid nicotine death sticks, alcohol, drugs or an uncontrollable gambling habit.
One snort of cocaine or GTA3- I know which controversial fun I’d like to enjoy. (GTA3—just in case you wondered!)
Like these other vices, video games do have their flaws to the addict; such as the harm that sitting in front of the TV can do to your eyes and all that frustration when a difficult boss near the end of a game kills you. But of all the addictions to have, GAD is the best.

Do you have GAD??
Thu 28/03/02 at 11:44
I have to agree there I am A GAD sufferer too but at least it cant kill ya...

Unless your in the bath player of course
Thu 28/03/02 at 14:17
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I'm addicted too!!
And I also don't think i'll ever loose it, untill I start loosing my brain cells (not including the ones I may have already lost from the large number of moblile phones around!).

But I think it's safe to say that I am nowhere near as addicted to games like the people we read about on the net and in the news.

So I should be healthy and safe, even if I find myself regularly playing games instead of doing something really important.
Thu 28/03/02 at 14:35
Regular
"That's right!"
I go to GAA

Game Addicts Anonymous
Thu 28/03/02 at 15:16
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Derek* has this problem in the Special Reserve magazine. On the back page.
p.s *Derek is not his actual name.
Thu 28/03/02 at 15:24
Regular
"Long time no see!"
No. It is actually....
TOTORO!!!
Thu 28/03/02 at 16:07
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Heh, I would have to say I am addicted to both of them at this moment.

;-)
Thu 28/03/02 at 17:35
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
DreamWarBird wrote:
> Derek* has this problem in the Special Reserve magazine. On the back page.
p.s *Derek is not his actual name.

Yea, i got the new mag in the post this morning and saw that part just after i posted this topic...strange...
Thu 28/03/02 at 18:33
Regular
AfroJoe wrote:
> Heh, I would have to say I am addicted to both of them at this moment.

;-)

Ditto.
Fri 29/03/02 at 09:29
Regular
Yeah, count me in - I'm addicted.
Virtually every spare penny I have goes on videogames.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.