GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What Next for Mario???"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/03/02 at 19:43
Regular
So far in the Mario series, we've seen him on every Nintendo console with a new, but simple and straight-forward game or two to go with it.
It's usually the same old type of game. A platformer that uses the console's full potnetial, and a game that also follows the basic Mario rules:
-Jump on head to destroy
-Bash blocks with head
-Collect coins
-Defeat Bowser and save the Princess, again!
Are we getting bored of all these games being so 'similar', and do we need to see variety???

Actually, there have already been 2 Mario games that stand-out from the rest while still coming-across as a standard Mario game in it's style and rules.

The first one was Mario RPG on the SNES. It's likely that the only way you will have played this highly-anticipated game in Europe was by either importing from Japan or downloading a SNES Emulator for your PC. As like many other Nintendo games, for one reason or another, it didn't reach the shelves in the UK.

From what I saw of it, the game was basically the same old kind of platformer we'd expect, but in a 3D, isometric styled 3D world for Mario and co. to explore. This looked very interesting to me and many others, and I expect that is how it played - up untill Mario 64 came along.

The other game I instantly think of has to be Paper Mario on the N64. Like Mario RPG on the SNES, this game emerged from Nintendo near the consoles' 'so-called' end. And it was also not a sequel to the great Mario 64, just like how the RPG game didn't follow on from Mario World.
With this game you get brilliant, cartoony-looking 2D characters in a surprisingly large 3D world. And I think that this is a style that should be considered for future games. But this time, instead of just jumping on an enemy and kicking away his shell, better fighting skills and techniques are required to defeat the toughest of enemies yet and once again save the day.

Aside from these 2 games, across the whole range of the Nintendo consoles there were other Mario games (non-platformers) that brought popularity and success with them.
Mario Kart must be by far the best, but games likes 'Mario and Yoshi', 'Mario's Missing' and 'Dr. Mario' showed us that Nintendo can bring something new to the name Mario - even if they weren't exactly loved by all.

Mario is best known for the brilliant platform games he has appeared over the last 15+ years. Are we ever gunna get bored of the same old kinds of platform games that Mario and the other characters appear in???
After all, Mario Sunchine doesn't look all that different to Mario 64 in appearence, and I think that having more Paper Mario's and Mario RPG's would be great!
Here are some ideas:

3rd Person Shooter - Have you played Conker's Bad Fur Day in the multiplayer maodes?? Brilliant!! And I think a 3rd PS view could be a good idea to make Mario look like a more serious game, and add a new level of gameplay to the Mario series!
Gone would be the days of stomping on a Goomba's head. Instead, a Mushroom gun loaded with Mario's favourite garden-grown goods could do the job! Or a Fire Flower-powered blaster could do even better!!
As the name Mario brings such a big world full of ideas to mind, anything could be possible for a 3rdPS!
First Person just wouldn't be Mario.

Mario and Luigi - Now that Luigi could be starring in more of his own games, who's to say that the Mario brothers wouldn't work well together, beating Bowser and saving the Princess in ways never seen before!!
You could do it the original way and take turns in a 2 player game (one Mario, one Luigi) and see who gets furthest first. Or, they could link together with one following the other. If you've played Paper Mario then you'll know how different characters can have different strengths and abillities, so Mario and Luigi could combine forces to put even more of a dent into King Bowser's evil crown!

Mario Bros. The Film - I've always wondered what this would be like as a game as it never happened. And besides the character names and maybe one or two likenesses, you can't really say that the film was taken straight from the early Mario games!
You could see and hear Bob Hoskins with his conkney accent, and see Dennis Hopper evolve along with the over-sized Goombas. The possibillities could be huge, and due to the original ideas, it could also bring a new level and world to Mario games. With graphics that not only show the GameCube's true power, but also show Nintendo can give games more realism rather than create the same old cartoony looks.

I think that the Mario series will need something new at least once on each console to keep it alive, and to keep the fans interested. I'm sure that even the biggets Ninty would soon become bored of the series if all we saw was the same old thing in better graphics.
Lets all thank those 3rd party developers for helping Ninetndo create Paper Mario - and also hop it does lead to greater, and more ineresting things!
Wed 27/03/02 at 19:43
Regular
"Long time no see!"
So far in the Mario series, we've seen him on every Nintendo console with a new, but simple and straight-forward game or two to go with it.
It's usually the same old type of game. A platformer that uses the console's full potnetial, and a game that also follows the basic Mario rules:
-Jump on head to destroy
-Bash blocks with head
-Collect coins
-Defeat Bowser and save the Princess, again!
Are we getting bored of all these games being so 'similar', and do we need to see variety???

Actually, there have already been 2 Mario games that stand-out from the rest while still coming-across as a standard Mario game in it's style and rules.

The first one was Mario RPG on the SNES. It's likely that the only way you will have played this highly-anticipated game in Europe was by either importing from Japan or downloading a SNES Emulator for your PC. As like many other Nintendo games, for one reason or another, it didn't reach the shelves in the UK.

From what I saw of it, the game was basically the same old kind of platformer we'd expect, but in a 3D, isometric styled 3D world for Mario and co. to explore. This looked very interesting to me and many others, and I expect that is how it played - up untill Mario 64 came along.

The other game I instantly think of has to be Paper Mario on the N64. Like Mario RPG on the SNES, this game emerged from Nintendo near the consoles' 'so-called' end. And it was also not a sequel to the great Mario 64, just like how the RPG game didn't follow on from Mario World.
With this game you get brilliant, cartoony-looking 2D characters in a surprisingly large 3D world. And I think that this is a style that should be considered for future games. But this time, instead of just jumping on an enemy and kicking away his shell, better fighting skills and techniques are required to defeat the toughest of enemies yet and once again save the day.

Aside from these 2 games, across the whole range of the Nintendo consoles there were other Mario games (non-platformers) that brought popularity and success with them.
Mario Kart must be by far the best, but games likes 'Mario and Yoshi', 'Mario's Missing' and 'Dr. Mario' showed us that Nintendo can bring something new to the name Mario - even if they weren't exactly loved by all.

Mario is best known for the brilliant platform games he has appeared over the last 15+ years. Are we ever gunna get bored of the same old kinds of platform games that Mario and the other characters appear in???
After all, Mario Sunchine doesn't look all that different to Mario 64 in appearence, and I think that having more Paper Mario's and Mario RPG's would be great!
Here are some ideas:

3rd Person Shooter - Have you played Conker's Bad Fur Day in the multiplayer maodes?? Brilliant!! And I think a 3rd PS view could be a good idea to make Mario look like a more serious game, and add a new level of gameplay to the Mario series!
Gone would be the days of stomping on a Goomba's head. Instead, a Mushroom gun loaded with Mario's favourite garden-grown goods could do the job! Or a Fire Flower-powered blaster could do even better!!
As the name Mario brings such a big world full of ideas to mind, anything could be possible for a 3rdPS!
First Person just wouldn't be Mario.

Mario and Luigi - Now that Luigi could be starring in more of his own games, who's to say that the Mario brothers wouldn't work well together, beating Bowser and saving the Princess in ways never seen before!!
You could do it the original way and take turns in a 2 player game (one Mario, one Luigi) and see who gets furthest first. Or, they could link together with one following the other. If you've played Paper Mario then you'll know how different characters can have different strengths and abillities, so Mario and Luigi could combine forces to put even more of a dent into King Bowser's evil crown!

Mario Bros. The Film - I've always wondered what this would be like as a game as it never happened. And besides the character names and maybe one or two likenesses, you can't really say that the film was taken straight from the early Mario games!
You could see and hear Bob Hoskins with his conkney accent, and see Dennis Hopper evolve along with the over-sized Goombas. The possibillities could be huge, and due to the original ideas, it could also bring a new level and world to Mario games. With graphics that not only show the GameCube's true power, but also show Nintendo can give games more realism rather than create the same old cartoony looks.

I think that the Mario series will need something new at least once on each console to keep it alive, and to keep the fans interested. I'm sure that even the biggets Ninty would soon become bored of the series if all we saw was the same old thing in better graphics.
Lets all thank those 3rd party developers for helping Ninetndo create Paper Mario - and also hop it does lead to greater, and more ineresting things!
Thu 28/03/02 at 10:03
"+ suspicious minds"
yea, i like the 3rd peson shooter idea, they could convert mario sunshine into one, you could load the backpack with koopa shells or even bomb ombs for a rocket launcher!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.