GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Uh-oh! Xbox HD failing?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/10/02 at 17:03
Regular
I've just been playing TimeSplitters 2 on Story Mode Co-Op with a mate, and got a rather alarming message when we completed the level.

"Player 1 - Game was not saved to memory unit Xbox Hard Disk because unit was removed during use." Or wording along those lines.

It did give me the option to change the save location, and when I re-selected the Hard Disk, it worked - but it's a little unnerving.

This is one of the things I have always been concerned about with Xbox - what if the HD gets corrupted?

My mate's just left, and I'm off to play again on single-player Story Mode. I'll report back if there are any more problems...
Fri 25/10/02 at 17:03
"High polygon count"
I've just been playing TimeSplitters 2 on Story Mode Co-Op with a mate, and got a rather alarming message when we completed the level.

"Player 1 - Game was not saved to memory unit Xbox Hard Disk because unit was removed during use." Or wording along those lines.

It did give me the option to change the save location, and when I re-selected the Hard Disk, it worked - but it's a little unnerving.

This is one of the things I have always been concerned about with Xbox - what if the HD gets corrupted?

My mate's just left, and I'm off to play again on single-player Story Mode. I'll report back if there are any more problems...
Fri 25/10/02 at 17:12
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Its never happened to me before i have had a few problems with my xbox though and was wondering if anyone could help me? I have recently purchased the great madden 2003 game and every so often it will stop and say there is a problem witht he disc saying it is scraqtched, so i turn off my box and take the disc out after a few minutes looking at the disc i cant see a single scratch and i had only been playing for about 10 minutes. I decided i was going to give it one more try and see what happens, well i thought the the problem had gone until the next day when it came back. It now happnes about once every 30 mins of playing? Has anyone experienced this with any game? What shall i do, i still have the reciept for the game which i purchased at a virgin megastore? Can i still get a refund or exhange? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Fri 25/10/02 at 17:33
Regular
You know what I really like about you Wookie? Its your really positive attitude towards the Xbox :) Only kdding :) It could be the Timespliters 2 DVD or it could just be a little glitch.

Fosbe I would take it back and get another copy and in the mean time contact EA via email and tell them about your problem.
Fri 25/10/02 at 17:38
"High polygon count"
garbe123 wrote:
> You know what I really like about you Wookie? Its your really positive
> attitude towards the Xbox :) Only kdding :)

Well, it is a genuine concern. I mean, there's no warning in the manual to keep the machine away from magnetic sources - opr at least I don't recall seeing one. I bet a lot of people have their Xbox on top of or under the TV, and TV's contain magnets. So it is possible.

I accept that you were only kidding, but it is something that I've often thought about.

Anyway, I just blasted through the Siberia level on Easy (because it's quick and simple) to see if it happened again - and I'm glad to say it didn't. I'll be wary for a little while yet, though!
Fri 25/10/02 at 17:59
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
It'd be just your luck, wouldn't it wookiee?
Fri 25/10/02 at 17:59
Regular
I wouldn't worry about it yet but I would E-Mail Microsoft and ask them what went wrong. Would you report back if you Mail them? Cheers.
Fri 25/10/02 at 18:02
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Oh, and Fosbe, it's a well known fact that the Thompson DVD Drives the Xbox uses are rubbish. If it keeps happening, take the disk back and exchange it. If it still happens, ring microsoft and arrange for your Xbox to be collected, have the DVD Drive changed, and sent back.

I've seen the DVD Drive thing happen to a lot of people on the newsgroups (although it hasn't happened to me) and when they get their Xbox back, it works fine.
Fri 25/10/02 at 19:16
"High polygon count"
Tóm wrote:
> It'd be just your luck, wouldn't it wookiee?

It bloody would! :-)

Anyway, I've mailed both Eidos and Xbox support. If and when I hear back, I'll let you all know what they said...
Fri 25/10/02 at 19:45
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I think it was a fluke thing Wookie. I've seen a similar thing happen on a friends X-Box and I've had similar problems with other disk consoles.

I don't think its the laser in your X-Box as that probably would have ended with a more severe result. If its anything, you might just need to change the game. I've had no problems with my X-Box or Timesplitters 2 so I think you might have just suffered a one off thing.

If you get the same thing happen while playing your other games then thats when you should worry more about the console. If its just Timesplitters 2 though, then like I said, its either a one off thing or you might need to just change the game. ;-)
Fri 25/10/02 at 19:54
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
It isn't fluke!

I was playing Timesplitters yesterday and we got exactly the same message!

I knew you would be on about this game too just by reading the title!

It must be the game and some versions of the box?

Still, not very nice to see!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.