GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Box.....Is Microsoft taking the mickey?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/03/02 at 14:29
Regular
Since recently buying my X-Box console, a couple of points of HUGE importance have turned round and smacked me in the face.

1) The XBox has no web browser, or any plans to include a browser

WTF? I thought to myself. With the hype over Microsoft making the X-Box broadband capable, i believed it axiomatic that surfing the web would be allowed. Could this be the competing values I wrote about in an earlier post? Could Microsoft really be this tough on its gamers? Microsoft clearly believe that releasing browsers for the X-Box would remove some of the PC web browsing market. Come on Microsoft, sort it out, because the PS2 will soon be kitted out with broadband access and web browsing tools. Even the Dreamcast that was built on Windows CE allowed us to browse the web. I think with a hyped next-gen console such as the X-Box, web browsing is a mandatory feature.

Microsoft claim secondly that the online element of the X-Box will be purely for online gaming. Feeling a little better, thinking that Microsoft were spending a lot of time and money giving us an online world to play in, I checked it out. Firstly, Microsoft have a larger development team on the online world than were working on the X-Box console. This presupposes a huge vast interactive community for us to play our games in. However, I also found out that:

2) Microsoft will demand a monthly fee for this service

This is not fair. I am a student and cannot afford tons of monthly debits from my bank account. And after spending £300 on the console, it seems unfeasible, and unreasonable. I do not know how much Microsoft intend to charge for the service, or whether there is a minimum period of time for the contract. I would really welcome any further information on this topic.

As many of you know, a broadband connection does not come cheap. I pay £25 per month for mine. Now Microsoft want extra on top to use their service. If Microsoft are cabable of this corporate scamming, what else can we expect? Well, I can say with some certainty that with the advent of broadband access, games will become more network oriented. Developers will shift away from creating single player games to multiplayer ones. Thus the monthly fee will be, for many of us, a mandatory payment.
Thu 28/03/02 at 13:41
I am just getting ready to go into town now to buy myself a NIC and 15m of crossover cable. I'm going to (attempt to) network my PC to my Xbox. If all goes to plan I should be able to run multiplayer Halo through GameSpy over my 512bps cable modem. Again, if all goes to plan it should be pretty cool.

As for paying Microsoft for Xbox Live, I shall have to wait and see how GameSpy treats me. Also, I seem to be getting a lot of replies in the form of 'A browser in Xbox? Noooooo!'

Maybe I should elaborate. As Microsoft have hyped the broadband ability of the X-Box, there is so much they could of done with this potential. Imagine switching on your X-Box, having latest reviews at your fingertips, email, etc, in the Xbox dashboard? It just irritates me because it is easily possible with the Xbox's hardware.
Thu 28/03/02 at 13:01
Regular
"Acid Casual"
You could have bought a lot of cider & black and rolling tobacco for £300...
Thu 28/03/02 at 09:04
Regular
Advertising in online games?! Christ? Are you mad!

It'd be like American telly if every two minutes you had a timeout in the game for adverts!

Also, (I may be wrong on this) but do Gamespy supply servers for online games? Or do they just supply the software to find online games?

Anyway, your £300 got you the most advance piece of console hardware currently available. MS are losing (allegedly) £500 for every console they sell.

I think you have to ask yourself this:

Would you prefer to pay and get a top notch service, a whole server infrastructure supplied just for XBox gaming, or get it for free and get laggy advert filled 56k dialup?

I know which one I'd prefer...
Thu 28/03/02 at 06:50
Regular
"BOSE"
i think it's great with no internet on it.

1) people would keep calling it a PC if it did have internet access on it

2) it's a console not a PC

c) could you really surf the net with a game pad? :S

you get the picture
Thu 28/03/02 at 03:07
Too poor to play online? I'm a student! And your question 'Who pays for it?'

I think my £300 should cover me for a while. And as for the future? Ask yourself how sites such as GameSpy manage to maintain a large online gaming community. Answer? Advertising.

I admit, games consoles are not for web browsing. But it would be convenient, if I could collect my email from my Xbox, etc. It is adamant Microsoft outright refusing these services to the public.

Roll on Xbox Linux.....
Wed 27/03/02 at 15:04
Regular
1. Why do you want to browse the 'net from your XBox? You're on the 'net quite succesfully now. Also, browsing the 'net with a joypad would be a pain in the a**e. But they could release a keyboard and mouse. That's added expense, and how difficult do you think it would be to be sitting on a sofa with a keyboard and mouse?

PC's for surfing the 'net, NOT games consoles. I think that MS have got it right in keeping the two apart. I have a DC and went online with it, it was crap. Rubbishy onscreen keyboards and stuff, using the joypad to move the pointer around. Sod that. And why should I bother paying more money for keyboard and mouse when I can go upstairs to my PC and go online and look at web-sites in a decent resolution. I.e without having to scroll sideways all the time.

As for the online gaming, did you really think it would be free? Who would pay for it? Square have got charges in Japan to play FFVI online, and other PC and PS2 games have charges as well. Did you really think you'd get broadband gaming for free?

This was taken from computerandvideogames.com:

According to US reports today, owners of Microsoft's Xbox console in North America will be required to pay a $14.95 per month subscription fee, and an additional one-off fee of an as yet unknown amount, to use its dedicated online service which it is apparently calling Xbox Live.
Of the other key players, Nintendo has yet to announce its online plans for GameCube, while Sony is to release the PS2 Network Adapter in Japan in May and in America in August. PS2 owners will be free to use their existing ISP if they so desire, and will not be required to sign up for a new internet service provider.

We'd love to take the report on the Xbox online charges as gospel, but contacting head of Xbox PR for Europe, Paul Fox, has painted a different picture. "We've not unveiled any more details of the online service or what it's called, or what the business model is," he said earlier today. "They're just rumours, and we can't comment on rumours," he stated in specific reference to the information that has appeared in the States.

While Microsoft remains adamantine in its refusal to comment on its plans for Xbox online, the inferno of interest surrounding it just will not be quenched. Charging gamers - which looks likely to happen - for the use of such a service suggests that the company could have plans to develop its own online game network specifically for its console. If this is the case, then it's an expensive venture for which the public is going to have to fork out for to provide revenue. Setting up of, maintenance of, and improvement of a dedicated online gaming network for Xbox would take a sizeable chunk out of Microsoft's bulging coffers.

At the end of the day it's the Xbox gamers' views that are going to count. Whether or not they will actually be prepared to pay a subscription fee to take their Xbox online if Microsoft does indeed introduce one remains to be seen.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

So there's no mention of European plans at all yet, so we may not have to pay that much.

Anyway, you can get broadband for about £20 a month now, plus $15 (£9) a month. Is that really that much for a dedicated gaming network? No other traffic except from XBox gamers.

Also from computerandvideogames.com:

Zona, Inc has joined Microsoft's Tools & Middleware Program for massively multiplayer online game (MMOG) development. The company will be building an Xbox version of its Tezarona server and network solution.
Developers creating Xbox MMOGs will be able to use Tezarona, freeing them from the necessity of working on network and server issues. In just a single online game, Tezarona can support a massive 32,000 clients.

Although MMOGs are commonly associated with RPGs, titles such as Verant Interactive's PlanetSide (for PC) are set to add a more action-orientated flavour to the genre. This sort of title could be a big hit with Xbox gamers.

Microsoft is remaining quiet on its specific plans for Xbox online, although it has stated that it wants to launch the online service in the US, Japan and Europe by the end of the year. With broadband capabilities and hard drive built-in, the console is going to be a viable contender in the online gaming field.

- - - - - - - - --

32,000 people, on a dedicated server?! Yes please!

Anyway, if you're too poor to play online, just buy Unreal Championship an dlink 8 XBoxs for 32 player mahem...
Wed 27/03/02 at 14:29
Since recently buying my X-Box console, a couple of points of HUGE importance have turned round and smacked me in the face.

1) The XBox has no web browser, or any plans to include a browser

WTF? I thought to myself. With the hype over Microsoft making the X-Box broadband capable, i believed it axiomatic that surfing the web would be allowed. Could this be the competing values I wrote about in an earlier post? Could Microsoft really be this tough on its gamers? Microsoft clearly believe that releasing browsers for the X-Box would remove some of the PC web browsing market. Come on Microsoft, sort it out, because the PS2 will soon be kitted out with broadband access and web browsing tools. Even the Dreamcast that was built on Windows CE allowed us to browse the web. I think with a hyped next-gen console such as the X-Box, web browsing is a mandatory feature.

Microsoft claim secondly that the online element of the X-Box will be purely for online gaming. Feeling a little better, thinking that Microsoft were spending a lot of time and money giving us an online world to play in, I checked it out. Firstly, Microsoft have a larger development team on the online world than were working on the X-Box console. This presupposes a huge vast interactive community for us to play our games in. However, I also found out that:

2) Microsoft will demand a monthly fee for this service

This is not fair. I am a student and cannot afford tons of monthly debits from my bank account. And after spending £300 on the console, it seems unfeasible, and unreasonable. I do not know how much Microsoft intend to charge for the service, or whether there is a minimum period of time for the contract. I would really welcome any further information on this topic.

As many of you know, a broadband connection does not come cheap. I pay £25 per month for mine. Now Microsoft want extra on top to use their service. If Microsoft are cabable of this corporate scamming, what else can we expect? Well, I can say with some certainty that with the advent of broadband access, games will become more network oriented. Developers will shift away from creating single player games to multiplayer ones. Thus the monthly fee will be, for many of us, a mandatory payment.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.