GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What is everybody going to get as their first game?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/10/00 at 12:11
Regular
Not really sure what to get as my first ps2 game, I will probably end up getting tekken tag. What is everybody else going to get?
Mon 09/10/00 at 12:11
Not really sure what to get as my first ps2 game, I will probably end up getting tekken tag. What is everybody else going to get?
Mon 09/10/00 at 12:44
ive already got ttt (jap) so i wont be buying that, i was hoping gt3/2000 was going to be a launch title but this is no longer the case therefore i am not really too sure what to buy. I think ill wait till i actually go to pickup the machine and then see what games are on offer.
Mon 09/10/00 at 12:54
Have you played tekken tag and is it really that good?
Mon 09/10/00 at 13:11
I have Tekken Tag, Ridge 5, Timesplitters and The Bouncer on order with the console, but I believe that The Bouncer is no longer a launch title.

DOA2 is now supposed to be a launch title, so I'll probably get that too.
Mon 09/10/00 at 13:14
I will most definetely be buying Tekken Tag Tournament.
I love playing the Tekken games, I even play the first one which is quite cheesy by todays standards.

A lot of people have said that TTT is not that good, and that it has not moved on from the last three instalments. But i don't think it should move on too far. If it is still successful, there is no point going to far from the original plot.

Anyway, this is only my opinion.

Thanx.
Mon 09/10/00 at 13:57
Remember though that Tekken Tag is simply an arcade conversion with a few extra bits thrown in for home users.

It isn't a great deal different from Tekken 3 simply because it was never meant to be, other than the tag feature.

Now Tekken 4 - if it ever appears - could and should have some major innovations.

The original PlayStation's hardware was based on Namco's System 11 (I think) arcade hardware. Now the situation is reversed, and several arcade companies, including Namco, will be using adapted PS2 hardware in their future arcade machines.

Not only does this mean that arcade machines have significant scope for improvement, but also that PS2 versions of arcade games should be prefect.
Mon 09/10/00 at 16:09
Im back after my usual weekend break and I notice that elsewhere someone insulted me for using his name (does he not realise how many Matts there are in the world).

Anyway, that is irrelevant. I did realise the absurdity of using my real name after I signed up but alas then it was too late!!!

I am glad to see that we are all so confident that we are getting our PS2's that we are onto discussing the games already. I have pre-ordered TTT, Timesplitters, SSX and the Bouncer.

Like Babylonian I hear that the Bouncer wont be available on launch so I wont have the option of purchasing that one. I will probably only be able to buy two games at launch anyway and they will probably be TTT and SSX.

I have never played Tekken for any length of time as I did not have a Playstation. I used to love StreetFighter 2 on the SNES but it is showing its age and recent versions have not lived up to StreetFighter 2 Turbo on the SNES. I am looking for a beat-em-up that takes a while to master and has a variety of moves. TTT seems to fit the bill best as the reviews I have read of DOA2 imply that most moves are pulled off by mere button bashing.

I would welcome any views on which beat-em-up I should buy at launch, however, as I have still not really decided between DOA2 and TTT (although I fear that my wife will kill me if she sees me knocking the stuffing out of scantily clad women, while they attempt to clober me with their cleavage!!!).

I ordered SSX as the hype machine was generating a lot of info on it at the time. Since then I am glad that I have as I have seen some quicktime videos of it running and even in that format it is looking awesome. It looks to be the sort of game that will keep me interested for more than a few weeks and there are not many games that can (the last one that did was Half-Life on the PC).

I will probably try and pick up a copy of the first Metal Gear Solid as well, as I never played it through due to the lack of a Playstation. This will, however, be the only PS1 game that ever enters my PS2 I should think, as there are lots of other PS2 games coming soon that I will need to save my pennies for.

Timesplitters is looking good, but I am not sure if I will buy it or not. From the videos I have seen of it, it looks a bit too Doom related (ie: hoards of enemies, constant shooting = no brain gaming). Hopefully I am wrong.

I may buy pick up International Track & Field as well in the first month or so after release it all depends on the monetary situation. I love the button bashing races against mates!!!
Mon 09/10/00 at 17:16
>I will probably try and pick up a copy of the first Metal
>Gear Solid as well, as I never played it through due to
>the lack of a Playstation. This will, however, be the
>only PS1 game that ever enters my PS2 I should think,

What, no Driver or Driver 2? Not the prettiest of games, but highly addictive! Driver is now Platinum, but Driver 2 will feature a 2-player mode - which will be great against a friend.
Mon 09/10/00 at 17:28
Hi Babylonian,

Well I wont discount any game as yet BUT I must admit that I want the games in my PS2 to show the machine off and somehow I cant see any PS1 game doing this.

If the game is good enough however (eg Metal Gear Solid) then I am sure that it will make it into my collection. Generally though PS2 games will be purchased unless there is nothing great available at the time and then I might look at the PS1 library.

Personally, however, I see the problem as being able to buy all of the PS2 games that I will want over the next 6 months. I do not envisage there being a lack of decent titles.
Mon 09/10/00 at 17:29
By the way please check out my subject on bits above as it contains some pertinent questions.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.