GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Arsenal in the Champion's League"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/03/02 at 18:48
Regular
Every year, we get the same old story with Arsenal in the Champions League. They start off great, their home form is great but their away form isn’t. To win the Champions League, you need to be consistent all year round, home and away. This is something Arsenal isn’t.

They have great players in Pires, Henry (although he’s not on great form and could have maybe changed the way things stand if he hadn’t missed two penalities), and Campbell at the back, and Bergkamp. So you can see that Arsenal isn’t short off good, experienced players.

I don’t think players are the problem though. This year it’s the away form that really let them down. At Highbury, we played Bayern Leverkusen be out played them and beat them 4-1. A great victory. Then when we go to Italy to play Juventus B side (because they had already got knock out of the Champions League) and got thrashed. Arsenal had quite a few chances, which should have been put away from Pires, Lungberg and Henry. Juventus on the other hand just played defensively and then took their chances when they attacked.

I think one of the main reasons why Arsenal didn’t progress to the second stage was:

1) Henry- He played rubbish in two of the most important games this year. He missed two penalties and they were both low and straight at the keeper. He’s not on his best form.
2) Arsenal away form. I don’t know what it is, but Arsenal look like a Division 3 side when they play away. Their passing is sloppy, and they can’t finish. If they ant to do well in the Champions League (I mean like Semi- Final stages) from now on they need to sort out their away form.
3) Injuries. Injuries have played a play in Arsenals recent form in the Champions League. Lungberg has been excellent in the Champions League, but due to injury, he had to play the last few games with an injury. He could have put a few away.

Away from the Champions League, Arsenal beat Newcastle away so they progress to the Semi Finals of the FA Cup. But playing Newcastle away and playing Juventus away is completely different. The class of payers are different and Arsenal had their best players, but they didn’t have them in Italy.

If only Arsenal could do as good away as they do at home. Watch out Europe, Arsenal coming!
Tue 26/03/02 at 18:48
Regular
Every year, we get the same old story with Arsenal in the Champions League. They start off great, their home form is great but their away form isn’t. To win the Champions League, you need to be consistent all year round, home and away. This is something Arsenal isn’t.

They have great players in Pires, Henry (although he’s not on great form and could have maybe changed the way things stand if he hadn’t missed two penalities), and Campbell at the back, and Bergkamp. So you can see that Arsenal isn’t short off good, experienced players.

I don’t think players are the problem though. This year it’s the away form that really let them down. At Highbury, we played Bayern Leverkusen be out played them and beat them 4-1. A great victory. Then when we go to Italy to play Juventus B side (because they had already got knock out of the Champions League) and got thrashed. Arsenal had quite a few chances, which should have been put away from Pires, Lungberg and Henry. Juventus on the other hand just played defensively and then took their chances when they attacked.

I think one of the main reasons why Arsenal didn’t progress to the second stage was:

1) Henry- He played rubbish in two of the most important games this year. He missed two penalties and they were both low and straight at the keeper. He’s not on his best form.
2) Arsenal away form. I don’t know what it is, but Arsenal look like a Division 3 side when they play away. Their passing is sloppy, and they can’t finish. If they ant to do well in the Champions League (I mean like Semi- Final stages) from now on they need to sort out their away form.
3) Injuries. Injuries have played a play in Arsenals recent form in the Champions League. Lungberg has been excellent in the Champions League, but due to injury, he had to play the last few games with an injury. He could have put a few away.

Away from the Champions League, Arsenal beat Newcastle away so they progress to the Semi Finals of the FA Cup. But playing Newcastle away and playing Juventus away is completely different. The class of payers are different and Arsenal had their best players, but they didn’t have them in Italy.

If only Arsenal could do as good away as they do at home. Watch out Europe, Arsenal coming!
Tue 26/03/02 at 18:56
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Yep, it's always the same old story for Arsenal in Europe!
But I still don't think they are near enough to be ready top challenge for the Champions' League trophy yet. Yes, they have a squad full of great individuals and international stars, but when you look closely at it's depth, all players seem to be the same behind the French - in-experienced. Look at Edu for example. He's come straight from Brazil into a tough and challenging, different ball game. And by also relying on youngsters like Taylor and Cole, they're just getting the same problem! Even if they have already made good first-impressions.
Tue 26/03/02 at 18:59
Regular
Whilst Arsenal's away form has not been that impressive, I think it would be particularly harsh to equate it with that of a Division 3 side
Tue 26/03/02 at 19:11
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I wonder if it's got anything to do with the size of Highbury's pitch???

I've never really liked the fact that Arsenal's pitch is always smaller than everyone elses. And I think it's an advantage to them at home, as many teams who like to play out wide cannot, and Arsenal succeed through narrow play and short passes.

Maybe they become too used to their own pitch that they get in a mess on others???
Tue 26/03/02 at 22:13
"High polygon count"
Solskjær_24 wrote:
> I wonder if it's got anything to do with the size of Highbury's pitch???

I'm sure it's nothing to do with the pitch size. After all, our away from in the Prem this season is better than our home form.

It's difficult to say what it is, because when we play well, we would be a match for any team in the Champion's League - I think we are more than capable of winning it, it's just that the team themselves sometimes seem to lack that belief; consistency is our main problem, and has been for a few seasons.

Personally, I put it down to respect - i.e. we show other teams too much of it. We sit back and wait for them to attack, where I think we should go for the throat much more.
Wed 27/03/02 at 00:19
Regular
Wenger used to say that all the time about teams going to Old Trafford. Teams gave Man Utd too much respect at OT...Look what happened to Wenger's team last season when they forgot all about respect at OT last season :)

heh. OT aint the "fortress" it used to be anyway...

Arsenals away form in the champions league hasnt been helped by them playing alot of them with just 10 men...also the non-flying dutchman cant help them out.
Wed 27/03/02 at 17:14
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Maybe it's something to do with the mix of 'old and new' in your team. Old at the back and younger in attack.
They don't always work that well together, and sometimes get into messes. Maybe... As they both do play different styles and have grown up with different influences.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.