GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"First Impressions"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/03/02 at 18:46
Regular
First impressions. You know what they say, never judge a book by its cover. Well is it the same for games? Well is it? Games that have a good front cover appeal to you even if you haven’t seen it before. True? You might think no. Games like Grand Theft Auto 3 for example. If you had never seen or heard of Grand Theft Auto 3 before you wouldn’t stop to see what is was about because it wouldn’t catch your eye because it’s basiclly a white cover with a few pictures on it. But if your saw a game like Virtual Tennis, you would stop to look at it because its got bright colours on it and bright pictures. Wouldn’t you?

It’s not just the front cover that attracts you. If you pick up a game in a shop, you don’t just look at the front cover, you look at the back as well. If there are pictures of the game and a little bit describing the game and your interested, you think this could be quite good and worth looking in to.

Also, games that you do buy, you want a good opening video so you can sit down and learn the storyline. Take Resident Evil Code: Veronica for example. The opening video to that game blew me away. The graphics were amazing, bearing in mind that they were on the Dreamcast, it was exciting and the storyline carried on from the video. So, opening videos can get you in the mood for playing the game, and keep you in the mood. Now, wouldn’t it be good if every game’s first video were like that, you would get interested in the game, and I’m sure that games would sell more.

It could be that people are attracted to different kinds of games. If I was walking in a shop I would look out for and adventure game rather than a fighting one, and it could be the other way round for other people. But still, if you were looking for a different kind of game, you would still go to the game that is eye-catching and looks good.

The WordArt on the front of a game attracts you aswell. If there is typography on the cover you go to have a look. I have picked up Marvel Vs. Capcom on Dreamcast and it looked great, but the game isn’t that good. And that is my point. If a game can attract you to going over to look at it, you might think this looks really good and buy it!

So, first impressions are pretty important, I think. If you had thirty quid and you went into a shop, first impressions could determine whether you buy that game or the other one. Tricky situation.
Tue 26/03/02 at 18:46
Regular
First impressions. You know what they say, never judge a book by its cover. Well is it the same for games? Well is it? Games that have a good front cover appeal to you even if you haven’t seen it before. True? You might think no. Games like Grand Theft Auto 3 for example. If you had never seen or heard of Grand Theft Auto 3 before you wouldn’t stop to see what is was about because it wouldn’t catch your eye because it’s basiclly a white cover with a few pictures on it. But if your saw a game like Virtual Tennis, you would stop to look at it because its got bright colours on it and bright pictures. Wouldn’t you?

It’s not just the front cover that attracts you. If you pick up a game in a shop, you don’t just look at the front cover, you look at the back as well. If there are pictures of the game and a little bit describing the game and your interested, you think this could be quite good and worth looking in to.

Also, games that you do buy, you want a good opening video so you can sit down and learn the storyline. Take Resident Evil Code: Veronica for example. The opening video to that game blew me away. The graphics were amazing, bearing in mind that they were on the Dreamcast, it was exciting and the storyline carried on from the video. So, opening videos can get you in the mood for playing the game, and keep you in the mood. Now, wouldn’t it be good if every game’s first video were like that, you would get interested in the game, and I’m sure that games would sell more.

It could be that people are attracted to different kinds of games. If I was walking in a shop I would look out for and adventure game rather than a fighting one, and it could be the other way round for other people. But still, if you were looking for a different kind of game, you would still go to the game that is eye-catching and looks good.

The WordArt on the front of a game attracts you aswell. If there is typography on the cover you go to have a look. I have picked up Marvel Vs. Capcom on Dreamcast and it looked great, but the game isn’t that good. And that is my point. If a game can attract you to going over to look at it, you might think this looks really good and buy it!

So, first impressions are pretty important, I think. If you had thirty quid and you went into a shop, first impressions could determine whether you buy that game or the other one. Tricky situation.
Tue 26/03/02 at 18:51
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Liquid Snake wrote:

> you would stop to look at it because its got bright colours on it and bright pictures. Wouldn’t you?

No, I'm not gay! :D

On a more serious note, first impressions are important, but it seems like people are more concerned about other people's opinions from reviews and stuff, and are rarely attracted by the front cover.

Still, a game shouldn't be judged by how it looks on the outside, that's why there are such things as reviews. Someone plays it, analyses it and then comments on it. But it still depends on what sort of games the reviewer likes, if it's the same sort of games you like.

These are the reviews you should prioritise!
Tue 26/03/02 at 18:56
Regular
While I agree that a cover to a game is relatively important, that doesn't mean it is any easier to ascertain the quality of the game. I think most people would go by the name of the game rather then the quality of the cover
Tue 26/03/02 at 19:27
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Yes, I went by the name of the game when I bought Perfect Dark and GTA3. ALthough there are other times when the cover lured me to handing over precious tenners and fivers because of the look of the cover.
*cough*Forsaken*cough*
Tue 26/03/02 at 20:33
Regular
Did you know they are still selling that for £59.99 in Woolworths?
Tue 26/03/02 at 20:36
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
No. I never go to Woolworths.
Tue 26/03/02 at 20:42
"slightlyshortertagl"
One reply to that:

UkReviews.co.uk
Wed 27/03/02 at 07:09
Regular
And????

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.