GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BEST ON EACH FORMAT."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/10/00 at 14:03
Regular
OK, when purchasing a console you have to make some decisions. Which one should you go for - and WHY? Well, in my view the best thing about games consoles are the games - they always have been and they always will be until the games industry becomes obsolete (never then) and I think every console - that has been bought by at least 500,000 people worldwide has to have some real quality titles available for it. Here goes then:
Let's start way back:
NES: the best game? MARIO 1,2,3 etc.
MASTER SYSTEM: Sonic 1,2,3 etc. And WonderBoy.
SNES: Mario Kart.
Mega Drive: Road rash, and many 2D games.
SATURN: Panzer dragoon saga, sega rally.
PLAYSTATION: Gran turismo, Metal gear solid, res Evil 3, Colin McRae Rally, Tekken.
N64: Perfect dark, Goldeneye,
Dreamcast: Crazy taxi, Soul Calibur, resident Evil Code: Veronica, Sonic adventure.
Ok - so I missed out the really early consoles - but take a look - they games that are the most popular are those in the same genres: Adventure games - these games a familiar hero - be it Sonic, Mario - and dare I say, Crash bandicoot.

racing Games: Mario Kart = OK - not quite a realistic - but still pretty amazing, sega rally - Pure genious - it didn't matter that there wer only 3 cars and 4 tracks - the game was so great to play, Gran Turismo - the largest racing game of it's time - great visuals and heaps of options and cars etc, Crazy Taxi - Ok again NOT exactly racing - but it's a taxi - great fun, Colin McRae Rally - the game was so easy to play - not at all realistic in terms of physics - but the game felt so right - the best rally game on Playstation. Road rash - Ok this is just brilliant - kicking and punching and racing - a sure hit.
Shoot 'em ups/ Horror/Zombie orientated: GoldenEye - the best multiplayer ever? Perfect Dark - Another Goldeneye type game - but with a heroine, not hero. The Resident Evils/ tomb Raiders - these games are now franchises and are just so atmospheric and involving nowadays.
Beat em Ups: Soul calibur is currently the best out there - Tekken has had it's moment - there's nothing more satisfying than punching the lights out of your mates - oh and the games like these help re create such moments.
There you are.
Sun 08/10/00 at 14:03
OK, when purchasing a console you have to make some decisions. Which one should you go for - and WHY? Well, in my view the best thing about games consoles are the games - they always have been and they always will be until the games industry becomes obsolete (never then) and I think every console - that has been bought by at least 500,000 people worldwide has to have some real quality titles available for it. Here goes then:
Let's start way back:
NES: the best game? MARIO 1,2,3 etc.
MASTER SYSTEM: Sonic 1,2,3 etc. And WonderBoy.
SNES: Mario Kart.
Mega Drive: Road rash, and many 2D games.
SATURN: Panzer dragoon saga, sega rally.
PLAYSTATION: Gran turismo, Metal gear solid, res Evil 3, Colin McRae Rally, Tekken.
N64: Perfect dark, Goldeneye,
Dreamcast: Crazy taxi, Soul Calibur, resident Evil Code: Veronica, Sonic adventure.
Ok - so I missed out the really early consoles - but take a look - they games that are the most popular are those in the same genres: Adventure games - these games a familiar hero - be it Sonic, Mario - and dare I say, Crash bandicoot.

racing Games: Mario Kart = OK - not quite a realistic - but still pretty amazing, sega rally - Pure genious - it didn't matter that there wer only 3 cars and 4 tracks - the game was so great to play, Gran Turismo - the largest racing game of it's time - great visuals and heaps of options and cars etc, Crazy Taxi - Ok again NOT exactly racing - but it's a taxi - great fun, Colin McRae Rally - the game was so easy to play - not at all realistic in terms of physics - but the game felt so right - the best rally game on Playstation. Road rash - Ok this is just brilliant - kicking and punching and racing - a sure hit.
Shoot 'em ups/ Horror/Zombie orientated: GoldenEye - the best multiplayer ever? Perfect Dark - Another Goldeneye type game - but with a heroine, not hero. The Resident Evils/ tomb Raiders - these games are now franchises and are just so atmospheric and involving nowadays.
Beat em Ups: Soul calibur is currently the best out there - Tekken has had it's moment - there's nothing more satisfying than punching the lights out of your mates - oh and the games like these help re create such moments.
There you are.
Sun 08/10/00 at 14:21
That's right, games are the main thing... who cares if a console can do full 3D virtual reality if the games are all rubbish?
Don't know if i agree with Crazy Taxi, and where's Mario 64? But other than that, a good round up... good job
Sun 08/10/00 at 14:34
Regular
Okay you missed out a load of game on the Snes and what happened to Zelda OoT?
Here's what i would say:

Master System: Sonic
SNES:Mario Kart, Mario, Secret of Mana, Final fantasy 1-6,
Donkey Kong, Zelda, Metroid and Street Fighter.
NES:I thought snake rattle n' roll sounded good and the Mario's. Oh yeah and ExciteBike too.
Mega Drive:Sonic.
Playstation:Resident Evil,Dino Crisis, Metal Gear Solid (although i don't like this),Gran Turismo, Driver.
N64:Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Zelda, Mario 64, Banjo, other mario games (mario tennis, golf and kart)
Saturn:Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter and Sega Rally.
Dreamcast:Sonic, Crazy Taxi, Code:Veronica, Soul Calibur, MSR an Shenmue.
Sun 08/10/00 at 14:37
Not Zelda, it claims to be an RPG, but it's not, other than that a good game maybe...
Sun 08/10/00 at 14:44
Ok- but it was a brief round up - of course there are loads more - but I'd be here all day - I'm really trying to point out the most famous - Goldeneye is more famous and is a better, more playable game than Zelda - for the simple fact that it's a multiplayer game. I'm sure Zelda is also great = I'm sure Mario 64 is great also.
Sun 08/10/00 at 14:46
Of course, just saying.
Sun 08/10/00 at 16:49
Regular
"Whatever!"
My nominations for each console are:-

NES: Super Mario 3

MASTER SYSTEM: Sonic 1,2, Wonderboy

SNES: Mario Kart, Street Fighter 2, Donkey Kong Country, Super Tennis

MEGADRIVE: Another World, Ecco, Sonic 1

SATURN: Knights

PLAYSTATION: Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo 2, Final Fantasy 7,8, ISS Pro Evolution

N64: Mario 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Zelda

DREAMCAST: Res Evil C.Veronica, Soul Calibur,
Sun 08/10/00 at 16:52
Regular
We were just trying to show which were the best on each console!

-By the way, my rank has gone up to elitesniper!
Sun 08/10/00 at 19:23
Yes - NiGHTS was the Saturns most original and wonderful game ever - I admit - that one slipped my mind.
Mon 09/10/00 at 09:47
Regular
"not dead"
Okay people, I'll apologise in advance for being pedantic, but I have a few points to make on this subject.

Yes people buy consoles for the games, and each system has had different ways of drawing you to them. The Sega Master System had a number of ports from arcade games in early days such as Space Harrier, Wonderboy and Out Run. People were already aware of these games, and this was the only console you could play them on. Phantasy Star and the Wonderboy trilogy were the top games. Sonic was released quite late in the day, and after the original on the Megadrive.
The NES had a number of great games, but it was Super Mario Bros. 3 that made me get one, even though it was quite late in the life of the system. Other top games were the MegaMan games, the original Super Mario Bros, Zelda, StarWars was fantastic, and it also had the first 3 Final Fantasy games! (2 & 3 Japan only).
The Megadrive had way too many platform games, but Sonic was great, and Echo the Dolphin was pretty special back then.
The SNES had tons of great games. Bomberman was fantastic, one of the first 4 person multiplayer games on the system. SuperMarioWorld was huge, and those missing levels kept you playing! Zelda was great on the SNES too. MarioKart has been copied again and again, but never bettered.
Playstation has so many games, but the ones that drew the attention were Tomb Raider and Gran Turismo. More recently Metal Gear Solid has done well too.
N64 - Zelda OoT, GoldenEye, Mario64.
Gameboy: Tetris, so addictive! The Mario games on the Gameboy were great, but Warioland was better! Zelda, Link's Awakening was remarkable too.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.