GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Does anyone know of stockists who have replacement PSX lasers for sale?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/10/02 at 16:44
Regular
As the topic suggests, I'm looking for somewhere that sells replacement lasers for the original Playstation. I've tried a few places like Divineo.co.uk and Playstationrepair.co.uk, but there isn't a cat's chance in hell of me buying from them, if they can't reply to a single e-mail telling me whether the lasers are new or refurbished (not buying refurbished).

Divineo look thoroughly dodgy, they only have an e-mail address (no phone number, they're not even registered as a company in manchester, I checked), and despite stating they reply within 1 working day it has now been five without either of the e-mails I sent being answered.

Playstation repair looks a little more like it, they have a phone number for starters, but it's always engaged or when it does ring nobody ever answers. I mailed them this morning and have yet to hear anything back, but it's early days thus far.

The model playstation I'm buying it for is the 5502, although other ones (such as PS One lasers) can be fitted with an extension cable.

Does anyone know of somewhere trustworthy and reliable that sells them? It's gotten to the point where adjusting the bias is making no difference, and games are either loading and playing extremely slowly, or not at all.

Cheers to anyone who can help out.
Tue 29/10/02 at 20:45
"Stupid Newbie :D"
Yeah, but as I say, second hand PSX = second hand laser. Not what I'm after.

I'd also have to faff about installing the chip again. They actually said they don't know of anywhere that might sell the lasers seperately over the phone, shortly before their work placement sales rep' unsuccessfully tried to sell me a playstation... lol. )
Tue 29/10/02 at 17:47
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Pointless Babble wrote:
> Just got them on the line, but unfortunately they don't sell them.
> :/
>
> Was amusing lisening to the sales rep harp on about how difficult it
> is to fit them, and how it'd be easier just to buy another playstation
> second hand.
>
> Didn't have the heart to tell him I chipped the thing myself, have
> been manually repairing the existing laser for the past 3yrs, and that
> a pre-owned PSX is likely to have a laser in the same condition as
> mine. ;)

You can get a second hand playstation for around £15. I bought mine for £10! It works perfectly. Most second hand shops test them first to make sure the lasers and everything works alright.

Did you ask CEX if they knew anyone who sells new lasers?
Tue 29/10/02 at 17:13
Just got them on the line, but unfortunately they don't sell them. :/

Was amusing lisening to the sales rep harp on about how difficult it is to fit them, and how it'd be easier just to buy another playstation second hand.

Didn't have the heart to tell him I chipped the thing myself, have been manually repairing the existing laser for the past 3yrs, and that a pre-owned PSX is likely to have a laser in the same condition as mine. ;)
Tue 29/10/02 at 17:08
Ta. ;)
Tue 29/10/02 at 17:04
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Right Ive got it

Computer Exchange
28 Albion Street, Leeds, LS1

0113 244 1800

Its open 7 days a week but probably closes at 6 on a weeknight.

Hope it helps you
Tue 29/10/02 at 17:01
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Pointless Babble wrote:
> Well provided I can order it and have them send it, the leeds branch
> number would be great, thanks. ;)
>
> They cost around £30 from the places I've been checking.

*gets out yellow pages*

Ill have a look for you, it could take a while though *rummages*
Tue 29/10/02 at 16:58
Well provided I can order it and have them send it, the leeds branch number would be great, thanks. ;)

They cost around £30 from the places I've been checking.
Tue 29/10/02 at 16:55
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Pointless Babble wrote:

> I can fit it myself. ;)
> I just need to find somewhere that actually has them in stock, and if
> they happen to be the revised PS One laser units, all the better.
> Hopefully Sony have learned from their mistake in using a plastic
> housing for the lens.
>
> I'll have a browse around the site, although I live in the North-East,
> so we're talking Newcastle area as being local for me.

Im guessing Newcastle will have a computer exchange tucked away somewhere in the city centre. How much about is a new laser? Do you want me to get you the phone number for the Leeds branch so you can ring and ask them if they do lazers? and if they dont im sure they'll give you someone who can!
Tue 29/10/02 at 16:52
Yeah Wookie, lik-sang would've been my first choice, but they've been out of them for the past year. :(
Tue 29/10/02 at 16:51
"High polygon count"
*Dringo's

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.