GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pokémon: Reasons for and against."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 23/03/02 at 23:11
Regular
Why is it that Pokémon is one of those games you either love or hate? Many people criticise the games thinking that they're only for young children, whereas you see thirty-year-olds heading for all the competitions and public meetings. So what reasons are there for this?

Here's a chart full of probable reasons for and against the Pokémon games (for Game Boy):

************** for ************|****** against *********
Innovative games ..............|...... "childish"
Brilliant Gameplay ............|...... "Babyish"
Excellent battle system .......|...... "Kiddies game"
Good use of Link Cables .......|...... "Too cutesy"
Good puzzle and adventure syst-|...... "For tots"
em ............. ..............|......

Well as you can see, the comments given by people on the right show that most people criticising the games have no idea what they're like, having only seen the cartoons, movies and the toys that are in most toy shops at the moment.

I admit the games aren't perfect, seen as the originals could have been made graphically better (Gold and Silver proved that) and they could have been longer games.

Notice I didn't include the N64 games. Although they are in 3D, they're not as good as the Game Boy and Game Boy Color games. Pokémon Stadium is basically a fighting arena game, a bit like a turn-based Street Fighter, which just features the same stuff all the way through, and the Pokémon Snap game may as well be made into one of those cheap Disney rides you get in the slow rides areas. The game looks good, but isn't much to play.

Pokémon Puzzle League is a lot better mind, featuring a 3D version of Tetris Attack from the SNES, it gives fun and action with a bit more speed and variety on the N64, allowing people to relive the SNES era for a little while longer. Though it wasn't technologically ground breaking to say the least, meaning it would have probably done better on a Sony license on the original Playstation.

The main concern about Pokémon is the fact that young children are getting bored, and us gamers are getting fed up of waiting for the new games to arrive. It's been ages since a new Pokémon game hit the she;ves and that is what is causing some previous Pokémon videogame fans to revolt against it.

I reckon Nintendo will get back the publicity in the future though, as long as they create a brand new Pokémon adventure, preferably in 3D on the GameCube. We don't want a Pokémon Stadium 3, though I wouldn't mind the opportunity to use my future Game Boy Advance trained Pokémon. We want an action/RPG with the turn based battling, a bit like Skies of Arcadia with a bit more freedom of movement. This would certainly make Pokémon as successful as it once was.

Pokémon fans don't want more electronic organisers, soft toys, movies, another TV series, or even the Pokémon Mini! We want brand new adventures on our consoles, and to have just as much fun as we did a few years ago when Pokémon Red and Blue first hit UK shelves.
Sun 05/05/02 at 10:27
You said it Pokethingies are japanese so their mouthes don't move properly and again Ash is a pervert!!!!!
Thu 02/05/02 at 19:07
Regular
"Where's SR?"
In my opinion this is a pointless debate but come to think of it so is most stuff. Maybe the comments people make, make it seem pointless.

Are you the real Dark Mark?
Sun 14/04/02 at 19:23
Regular
-Bad point-

It's rubbish so nerr!!!

That's the sort of reply I'd expect!!
Sun 14/04/02 at 17:25
Regular
"Brrrrr."
blahpro wrote:
> Good Points:
>
> -They have become very rich because of it.
> -Some saddos like it.
>
>
> Bad Points:
>
> -It's F-ing rubbish.
> -It has started a cult.
> -Ash is a pervert. He keeps touching pikachu in strange places...

I take some of this back - I used to like pokémon like everyone else! Just Think. At least 95% of all ukchatforums.com users under 20 years old MUST of liked it at some point. You could of liked the TV show, the Cards, the Game or anything!
Wed 10/04/02 at 07:26
Regular
"Brrrrr."
Good Points:

-They have become very rich because of it.
-Some saddos like it.

Bad Points:

-It's F-ing rubbish.
-It has started a cult.
-Ash is a pervert. He keeps touching pikachu in strange places...
Wed 03/04/02 at 23:40
Erm...

L337z is a name for people who program because they want to and not for cash... meaning Elites, can also be attributed to hackers and griefers...

I take back what I said about all the games being sh*t, I was referring to BRY, and the fact that they are 3 versions of the same game...

I like Burakki...

=)
Wed 03/04/02 at 01:09
None of the games are good?

Well that's just your opinion.

In reality, they must've been good to sell so many copies, then to have World Record breaking sales in their sequels!

Now I'm not sure what you mean by L337z, but that's because I don#t have one of those mind-reading qualities that many people believe others have over the internet.

If "L337z" represents a word, why not just spell the word? Or is it not "cool" to do that?

Anyway, another argument to prove the Pokemon games are good: There have been many copies of the Pokemon style games, such as the Tamagotchi virtual pet (which other gadget mmanufacturers copied), and games such as Dragon Warrior Monsters and that Loony Tunes one. Read some of the older issues of NGC (or N64 as it was previously called) or even the highly criticised NOM which had reviews of many a copy of Pokmon.

Without Poekmon, I doubt we'd see Digimon on the Playstation, or see all the Japanese anme, including Digimon, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, or any other of those Japanese carto series' over here in the UK or the United States.

Pokemon revolutionalised gaming whether you like it or not. It inspired developers (to coy or use the same principles), it inspired TV companies to translate and release Japane anime here, and there has even been a highly successful Trading Card Game published ythe best well known card-game publishers: Wizards of the Coast, famous for the Magic The Gathering series and who are currently 'dealing' with the Harry Potter Trading Card game series.

Come on, do you really believe that if Pokemon was all that bad it would span 5 movies plus a video-movie (not released in cinemas)?

I'm not saying Pokemon beats everything out there, but it's not crap, it's not simple programming, it's not something anyone would consider as freeware in the very near futue, and I'm certainly glad I have had the opportunity to own the Pokemon games I've go for my Game Boy Color as they have filled many of my gaming hours with happiness and made me feel excited instead of bored watching Brookside or Friends on Channel 4.
Sun 31/03/02 at 21:32
>> Pokemon <<

None of the games are good, they are randomly looped, badly coded programs which L337z could write in their spare time, but the L337z would have the decency to make them free downloads... I had a very brief period of **LIKING** Pokemon but it bored me, and as for people not liking cute things that's 8ull5hit, generally I like cute things, but most Pokemon are unnervingly cute...
Sun 24/03/02 at 21:21
you made a silly mistake selling your games the pokemon games are good but can get dull after you play them alot, I did the very same with my games and i really regreted it so i bought them back and i think that was the best move i did!!!!:)
Sat 23/03/02 at 23:32
Regular
That's just confirming what I said. The classic games are, as I just said, classics. However, they don't have that sense of newness to them anymore, seeing as we have many other games released to try and make use of the craze, such as Dragon Warrior Monsters, which used the excuse that it's a sequel of a game from ancient times, so as not to get into any copyright trouble.

We just need something new and exciting in the Pokémon World, instead of having the same old thing, or some dodgy release which is supposed to satisfy us til something new comes along.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.