GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Guestbook Help required"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/10/00 at 00:53
Regular
Help !!! I am trying to get a guestbook working on www.brisca.f1drivers.com and whenever I submit an entry, I get an "Internal Server error" message.
I have asked support for assistance but they just say they don't debug scripts. As I can't see the server log, I have no idea what the problem is. Can anyone help??
Thu 26/10/00 at 23:24
Hello!!! Support. . . anybody there?
Please respond, even if it's just to prove you do monitor these discussion boards.
Oh and if you could shed some light on the 'Internal Server Errors' we would be most grateful!!! Thankyou!
Wed 18/10/00 at 18:58
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Thanks for the help mate.
I think it must be a syntax error, but as I don't know to much about Prel, can't find the problem. Cheers! anyway. I'll try the activeperl.com site.
Wed 18/10/00 at 00:11
I'm *not* from freela support but you could be getting the 500 for a number of reasons -

[1] your script doesn't call perl correctly - the first line of the file *must* be #!/usr/bin/perl

[2] your script contains a syntax, or other, error in perl

[3] either the permissions for your cgi-shl directory, or the .cgi files are not 0755

[4] the script you are using - especially if you have downloaded it from a web site - may not have been debugged for perl5 which Freeeola appear to be running.

The remedies are simple - you debug your perl script before uploading it. You can get a perl interpreter for windows from www.activeperl.com (if memory serves) - if you're running a *nix then you'll already have perl. If you don't understand perl then running any script is a security risk and you should take the time to learn perl
Tue 17/10/00 at 22:16
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I though so to, I guess they don't have the answer. I get some scripts to work fine (I'm in the testing phase) but some still bring up an Internal 500 erroe. What does an Internal error mean anyway freeola?
Tue 17/10/00 at 00:56
I thought Support read these pages frequently! How come no response to the above comments??
Mon 09/10/00 at 23:10
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I have done all this, but the Form to E-mail script brings the same messgae up. I have a Mail_Machine.cgi in it, and that works fine, so do you think I may have programed the non-working script incorrectly?
Mon 09/10/00 at 23:05
1.CGI Activated. Yes - I have a Form up and working.
2.Permissions - Yes - Again, went through this with the form.
3. Path to perl - Yes - Form is working. I'm using the same path.
4. Upload in ASCII - Yes - I use CuteFTP and that automatically uses the correct FTP type. Again, It worked for the Form.
5. Path - Ahhh, this is the new area that the Form doesn't use. I have an HTML file that needs to be updated by the script and a 'temporary' directory that the script needs to have access to. But I've set permissions on the directory to 777 (just for testing purposes!!). I think the problem is within the paths. But as I can't see the system logs I can't be sure!!!! I have tried a number of different paths - as specified in the Freeola Support CGI help eg: Full path to my webspace root directory - with and without the /htdocs on the end, also used the web address www.brisca.f1drivers.com again with & without the htdocs extension. ALL I GET IS THE INTERNAL SERVER ERROR. Help, please....
Mon 09/10/00 at 13:54
Hi

Firstly have you called Freeola to have CGI enabled on your account? It's not globally enabeled on all users accounts yet.

Have you got the permissions to your script set correctly? They should be set to 755 and the CGI directory to 770.

Check that you have the path to Perl correct at the top of your script , it should be #!/usr/bin/perl .

Did you upload your scipts in ascii mode? It could be that you have some path information in either your script or form incorrect, this information can be found on the Freeola support page.
Sun 08/10/00 at 23:03
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I can't help you out. But I am getting the same thin you are. I would just like to take this time to ask Freeola Support how and where this Server Log is, and how can I view it, as would like to know why my cgi script don't work, seeing as they are gonna be an important part of my Web Site.

Cheers!
Sun 08/10/00 at 00:53
Help !!! I am trying to get a guestbook working on www.brisca.f1drivers.com and whenever I submit an entry, I get an "Internal Server error" message.
I have asked support for assistance but they just say they don't debug scripts. As I can't see the server log, I have no idea what the problem is. Can anyone help??

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.