GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The best game I have played in a long, long time - possibly better than MGS2?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 23/03/02 at 01:50
Regular
And it's on a Nintendo console.

(But not made by Nintendo, thank god).

The game? Sonic Advance.

Now, I don't actually own a GBA, because for me this IS the only game worth buying one for and I'm short of cash, but with the £100 I have spending money I have in Greece you can garauntee that I'll spend most of it on a cheap Greek GBA, as is customary whenever I go away. But enough of that.

You see, yesterday, it came to my attention yesterday that Katie Marsden (a girl I fancy, BTW), had in her posession this game. In fact, it came as quite a shock to me, so much so I actually said "What?" really quite loudly in the middle of assembly. Needless to say I was quite excitited, especially seeing as the next lesson was English, and my teacher was, as always, late. So, I got in to English, and bouncing in my seat (literally) I turned round and asked Katie if I can borrow her GBA. I switched it on, the game loaded, and...

...the last thing I remember was Ros quite painfully drawing to my attention the fact that Mrs Medway was now in the room and advancing. So, I hastilly returned it to its owner, and awaited break. And lunch. And French. And then they next day (today), when I played it pretty much solidly for 4 hours. Isn't education great?

Anyway, enough waffling, what about the game? Well:

What I liked:

It's pure Sonic
New character!
Tails is cool
The levels are as fast as ever
Not too hard
Not too easy
Seems like there's lots of levels
That excellent Sonic style
Massive replayability
Cool new zones
The spin-rev thingy!
Extra moves
The return of the shield from S+K
It's Sonic!
It's portable!
There are so many things to do!
Sonic baby!
Flickies!
Sonic!
Knuckles returns
Sonic!
Loopy things!
FOR GOD'S SAKE BE EXCITED!!!

Things I didn't:

Tail's tails don't spin enough
Very Sonic-CD
Not much new stuff (good and bad I suppose)
Evil water levels
Amy's pants.

Put simply, Sonic Advance is the cat's nads. It's the best bits of all the old Sonics on new levels, with a new character and a couple of new moves. Sure, it could be better but I haven't played a decent Sonic game in years, apart from setting up my MD and replaying Sonic 3 all the way through. The GBA perfectly handles the speed of the original game in fantastic colour depth, and the level design really lets it show it off as well. It's a Sonic3+S+K clone that you could play anywhere, it is really a fantastically good game.

However...

The crunch is:- is it better than Sonic 3?

No.

Sonic 3 just had more flair, more depth, more new ideas than this. Sonic's all about the image, and Sonic 3 looks much cooler than this incarnation. The artists have done well, but frankly they did better with Sonic 3. Maybe because it was on a telly, I don't know, but (dare I say it) the graphics were certanly better, and it was those graphics which allowed Sonic 3 to be really, really great. Sonic Advance has levels, Sonic 3 had environments. Better luck next time, but I reckon a Sonic Advance 2 could definitely beat the classic Sonic 3 (and I reckon a next-gen 2D version could do much much better).

Smaller crunch:- is it better than MGS2?

Hmm, maybe.

I doubt its longevity. MGS2 could definitely last longerm although no-where near as much replayability. SA is an extrordinarily good game, as is MGS2. I can't decide between them, honestly. Needless to say I *HAVE* to own this game for myself in the near future. It's my a long shot the best game I've ever played on a Nintendo console. Sonic is an institution, as long as it's 2D, it can't fail to be really really good.

Anyway, enough of that. A very big Well Done to the guys at Sonic Team for actually making a good game. I can't wait for them to do pseudo 3D/Klonoa-style Sonic game for one of the next-gen consoles with trippy effects. It would truly rock.

I order you all to play this game. As Radio 1 so eloquently puts is:

You need this in your life.
Sat 23/03/02 at 01:50
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
And it's on a Nintendo console.

(But not made by Nintendo, thank god).

The game? Sonic Advance.

Now, I don't actually own a GBA, because for me this IS the only game worth buying one for and I'm short of cash, but with the £100 I have spending money I have in Greece you can garauntee that I'll spend most of it on a cheap Greek GBA, as is customary whenever I go away. But enough of that.

You see, yesterday, it came to my attention yesterday that Katie Marsden (a girl I fancy, BTW), had in her posession this game. In fact, it came as quite a shock to me, so much so I actually said "What?" really quite loudly in the middle of assembly. Needless to say I was quite excitited, especially seeing as the next lesson was English, and my teacher was, as always, late. So, I got in to English, and bouncing in my seat (literally) I turned round and asked Katie if I can borrow her GBA. I switched it on, the game loaded, and...

...the last thing I remember was Ros quite painfully drawing to my attention the fact that Mrs Medway was now in the room and advancing. So, I hastilly returned it to its owner, and awaited break. And lunch. And French. And then they next day (today), when I played it pretty much solidly for 4 hours. Isn't education great?

Anyway, enough waffling, what about the game? Well:

What I liked:

It's pure Sonic
New character!
Tails is cool
The levels are as fast as ever
Not too hard
Not too easy
Seems like there's lots of levels
That excellent Sonic style
Massive replayability
Cool new zones
The spin-rev thingy!
Extra moves
The return of the shield from S+K
It's Sonic!
It's portable!
There are so many things to do!
Sonic baby!
Flickies!
Sonic!
Knuckles returns
Sonic!
Loopy things!
FOR GOD'S SAKE BE EXCITED!!!

Things I didn't:

Tail's tails don't spin enough
Very Sonic-CD
Not much new stuff (good and bad I suppose)
Evil water levels
Amy's pants.

Put simply, Sonic Advance is the cat's nads. It's the best bits of all the old Sonics on new levels, with a new character and a couple of new moves. Sure, it could be better but I haven't played a decent Sonic game in years, apart from setting up my MD and replaying Sonic 3 all the way through. The GBA perfectly handles the speed of the original game in fantastic colour depth, and the level design really lets it show it off as well. It's a Sonic3+S+K clone that you could play anywhere, it is really a fantastically good game.

However...

The crunch is:- is it better than Sonic 3?

No.

Sonic 3 just had more flair, more depth, more new ideas than this. Sonic's all about the image, and Sonic 3 looks much cooler than this incarnation. The artists have done well, but frankly they did better with Sonic 3. Maybe because it was on a telly, I don't know, but (dare I say it) the graphics were certanly better, and it was those graphics which allowed Sonic 3 to be really, really great. Sonic Advance has levels, Sonic 3 had environments. Better luck next time, but I reckon a Sonic Advance 2 could definitely beat the classic Sonic 3 (and I reckon a next-gen 2D version could do much much better).

Smaller crunch:- is it better than MGS2?

Hmm, maybe.

I doubt its longevity. MGS2 could definitely last longerm although no-where near as much replayability. SA is an extrordinarily good game, as is MGS2. I can't decide between them, honestly. Needless to say I *HAVE* to own this game for myself in the near future. It's my a long shot the best game I've ever played on a Nintendo console. Sonic is an institution, as long as it's 2D, it can't fail to be really really good.

Anyway, enough of that. A very big Well Done to the guys at Sonic Team for actually making a good game. I can't wait for them to do pseudo 3D/Klonoa-style Sonic game for one of the next-gen consoles with trippy effects. It would truly rock.

I order you all to play this game. As Radio 1 so eloquently puts is:

You need this in your life.
Sat 23/03/02 at 01:59
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
(Oh, this started off as a FOG Chat topic, but then I decided I only wanted real gamers to read it).
Sat 23/03/02 at 08:03
Regular
Why try and decide? Just play 'em both all the time! :D
Sat 23/03/02 at 15:00
Regular
"relocated"
Yeah, Sonic is pretty fantastic, though I've only played briefly myself. In fact, if I was in the habit of starting console wars topics, I'd say the GBA has the best line up of games out there. Four slices of gaming PERFECTION: Mario Kart; Advance Wars; Sonic; and the soon to be released SMA2. Not to mention about a dozen other really good titles like Golden Sun, Tekken etc. Not to mention the fact that you can play it on the toilet.
Sat 23/03/02 at 15:46
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Sonic rules and there is no denying that fact! :D
Sat 23/03/02 at 17:15
Regular
"Whatever!"
Grandprix wrote:
> Sonic rules and there is no denying that fact! :D

Absolutely!!
Sat 23/03/02 at 17:36
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Turbonutter wrote:
> (Oh, this started off as a FOG Chat topic, but then I decided I only wanted real
> gamers to read it).

I couldn't agree more.
I posted a MGS2 topic in chat thinking I'd get a sensible reply, but I got a stupid immature reply and....and ...that was it, just one silly-stupid reply. The Topic was dead in chat within a few hours.
So I reposted the topic on down below in Prime.
Never again!
Sat 23/03/02 at 19:37
Regular
I completed in the game with Sonic, knuckles and Tails pritty quick. Not much of a challenge at all.

Playing with amy is a bit stupid though as she hasnt got the abilitly to do a speed up, so its hard getting up steep hills with her. Also you cant just jump on an enemy with her...u gotta whack a button to get the hammer out. I'm stuck on zone 6 act 2 with her and just cant seem to beat the boss.
Sat 23/03/02 at 23:04
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Sméagol wrote:
> Turbonutter wrote:
> (Oh, this started off as a FOG Chat topic, but then I
> decided I only wanted real
> gamers to read it).

I couldn't agree
> more.
I posted a MGS2 topic in chat thinking I'd get a sensible reply, but I
> got a stupid immature reply and....and ...that was it, just one silly-stupid
> reply. The Topic was dead in chat within a few hours.
So I reposted the topic
> on down below in Prime.
Never again!

----

Same.

Chat annoys me, as all decent posts seem to vanish under the large heap of crap that the forum produces.
Sat 23/03/02 at 23:35
Yeah, Sonic Advance is great.

It's rather easy, but that doesn't take the fun away from it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.