GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Great PS2 Anti-Aliasing debate"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/10/00 at 18:08
Regular
Good grief, who do we believe?

After having it 'confirmed' by a Sony 'official' (i.e. Simon at [email protected]) that PS2 does *not* have hardware anti-aliasing, the following items have appeared in the lastest issues of two magazines...

The current issue of PSM2 has the following item (GT2000 article, page 19, top left):

"Furthermore, anti-aliasing has been used to smooth out the jaggies, although Yamauchi wouldn't reveal how he'd done it."

PSM2 backs this up with the following (page 71, top left):

"So what are jaggies? Take a close look at Ridge Racer 5 and you'll notice that diagonal lines are jagged rather than smooth - hence the problem's name. Now, though, Sony's issued clear instructions on how to get the PS2's built-in anti-aliasing (blurring) to earn its pay. Result: Jaggies will exist no more."

So, anyone have any thoughts? Some PS2 screen-shots have looked rough, others almost perfect. Could this explain why early shots of games such as TimeSplitters showed glaring examples of jaggies, yet the recent video footage was so smooth? Has the anti-aliasing now been incorporated?

Granted, when playing a game you'll rarely notice; but I personally would like a final, definitive, official answer from Sony - and (with the greatest respect to the Simon mentioned above) preferably from someone involved in the hardware side, and not a Customer Service rep.

I think I will mail Official UK PlayStation mag and get them to find out, because the conflicting reports are really bugging me!
Thu 19/10/00 at 12:21
An extremely interesting article on the AA issue:

http://ps2.ign.com/news/21661.html

It's quite old (June), and it is rather long... so make sure you have the time!
Tue 17/10/00 at 21:50
Ah. Goodo.
Tue 17/10/00 at 20:12
Regular
(Don't worry Babylonian, I was only kidding.)
Tue 17/10/00 at 19:33
> I believe my anger was due to one childish individual, we all know
> who he is, and shall remain nameless. (Its you Babylonian, you
> should be ashamed...)

Err... what?
Tue 17/10/00 at 19:24
Not saying it's not true, but it does seem odd, as even PS1 was capable of 640x480 (Colony Wars series).

I'd like to know how - technically - the PS2 handles graphics. If, as I suspect, it's not quite the same as a PC, the same restrictions may not apply.
Tue 17/10/00 at 18:36
Regular
(Picture a man drinking a cup of tea.)

"This means most PS2 games actually run at a framebuffer-conserving 320x240."

(Now imagine the tea being spurted everywhere.)

Wow. Are you sure its 320 x 240?
Tue 17/10/00 at 15:32
Regular
"MSR Rules"
> I have to say, with the resolution of most games now, anti
> aliasing I don't think is needed. Its only when the resolution is
> really low when it gets annoying, but no games are like that now,
> so why bother with it?
>
No sorry i totally disagree. The only way to get good visual quality on a TV is with AA. You can throw as many polygons you want at it but at low resolutions like 640x480 and it still wont look half as god as it would at 800x600. This is where AA has to be implemented on TV's if you want to rival PC quality.

Just read this snippet:

The real problem is the PS/2s radical lack of video memory-- 4mb total,same as the original voodoo graphics.

This means most PS2 games actually run at a framebuffer-conserving 320x240, which is a very low resolution even for a TV. Look at any number of PS2 screenshots and you can see this is true. For example... http://www.dailyradar.com/screens/game_preview_all_screen_7344.html

In contrast *most* DC titles run at a "true" 640x480. Take a gander at any DC screenshots to see it's true. For example...
http://www.segaweb.com/media/outtrigger/ot17.jpg

The problem isn't just anti-aliasing or lack thereof, it's also low resolution, period. And you can thank the PS/2's puny 4mb embedded VRAM for that. X-Box is really poised to demolish all of the above on order-of-magnitude, technical superiority.

This is a guy who is a Tech-head more than a hardcore gamer.
Mon 16/10/00 at 19:32
Regular
I have to say, with the resolution of most games now, anti aliasing I don't think is needed. Its only when the resolution is really low when it gets annoying, but no games are like that now, so why bother with it?

I have also come to apologise for knocking the Playstation the other day, refering to it as a vicious cult icon, and saying that the demo tape provided with some magazines was a hypnotic tape designed to make however watched it a pathetic idiot.

After careful review and searching for evidence, I found out I was quite inaccurate, and that Sony is not a religious cult, and the demo tape actually had movies of games on it.

I believe my anger was due to one childish individual, we all know who he is, and shall remain nameless. (Its you Babylonian, you should be ashamed...)

Humm. Anyway, my anger was running high, and I continued to write a bible of Sony. I apoligise for any inconvienece, I may have caused.
Mon 16/10/00 at 17:18
Many thanks for that, tcook.

Looking at recent PS2 screenshots of some software - particularly Ready 2 Rumble 2 - the hack seems to work pretty well.

Though I'm sure certain people will disagree!
Mon 16/10/00 at 16:37
Regular
"MSR Rules"
>My PC has a Voodoo Banshee graphics card, which
>doesn't have built-in anti-aliasing, and it's never
>affected my enjoyment of a game yet. It's not a
>major issue for me, I'd just like to know for sure,
>one way or the other.

My PC used to have a Banshee card which i upgraded to a Voodoo 5500 which has the best Anti-aliasing available.
You just dont realise how much difference it makes to visual quality, detail and image stability untill you see it. Fair enough it did cost over 200 quid but i can afford to sacrifice a bit of dosh for the best visual quality.

I asked a forum called Beyond 3d about Anti-aliasing.

Question.
Can anyone out there answer a question which has been banded around a less technical forum about anti-aliasing.
Basically which one out of the DC and PS2 uses anti-aliasing. Simple question but no-one seems to know. Also can someone explain what Anti-Aliasing is in technical terms.

Answer.
DC does what I'd consider a more real form of anti-aliasing. They super-sample.PS2 has some hack that
is supposed to do it as well, but I question how well it really works. So the answer to your question is DC.

------------------
Dave Barron - 3dfx
------------------

So PS2 has a Hack to do AA. Hope this answered everyones questions as it came from 3dfx.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.