GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"8 reasons why Metal Gear Solid rules!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 22/03/02 at 20:52
Regular
If you haven’t bought Metal Gear Solid 2, or won it on GAD, you are missing out. Here’s eight reasons why Metal Gear Solid 2 will rule 2002.

1) Raiden

Metal Gear Solid has a new main man. Internet message boards are full of that Kojima let Metal Gear fans down by ditching Snake as the lead character. But thuis lot should have engaged their brains before talking. Who’s the real star of MGS1? When a guard is about to kick open the box he’s hiding in, do you think, oh no. Snake’s in trouble? No, you think, I’m screwed, and then you Panic.

Using Raiden allows the plot to twist and brain- bending shapes. Who the hell is this Guy? Good question - he barely knows himself. Snake on the other hand, is a known quantity. You known his past, and because of that you know what his agenda is. Meanwhile, Raiden has got all of Snake’s moves, but hasn’t got his experience. He’s more like you than Snake is. And having Raiden as the top dog means Snake is free to meander through the story at will, exciting you at every time you cross paths.

2) Attention to Detail

No videogame has ever gone as mad for the little details as Metal Gear Solid 2.
In normal games you shoot bushes and nothing happens. In Metal Gear Solid, leaves fall off and lie on the ground. Guards spot them. They wonder what’s happened. You kill the guard. The radio on his dead body crackles- its base wanting you to know why he hasn’t reported in. You break the radio. But its too late. The patrol is on its way.

Look around, and you’ll also spot little details that have been included in case you go looking for them. Try these:

Snake never runs out of ammo cos he’s still got his ‘infinite ammo’ bandanna from MGS1.

Smallest character in MGS2? That will be the flies. Buzzing around lights and old food.

Get splashed looking around in first-person view and water droplets bead in the camera lens.

3) Stealth

Metal Gear Solid 2 takes sneaking around to a new level.

Not getting caught in MGS2 required you to be on top of your game like never before. Guards spot your shadow if it protrudes round a corner. Open wounds leave tell-tale blood spots. Spy cameras are everywhere and suspicious boxes get checked.

The golden rule is to find a disguise and act like what your meant to be impersonating. So when the alarm sounds make sure you search like the rest of them or stay where you are and don’t move whatever. Its a lot to think about, but its what makes Metal Gear Solid 2 so exhilarating.

4) Dog Tags

Every character in the game has a set of dog tags. Sneak up on them and threaten them, and they’ll hand them over. It’s easy with one guard a room. With several, you need to distract or tranquillise the other guards first. There is a different set of dog tags on each level, over 300 to collect altogether.

The more you have, the better secrets you unlock.

5) The Weapons

All new for MGS2 is the first person aiming option that allows you to place an infrared bead right on an enemies head. Squeeze off one round and it’s goodnight - literally, if your using tranquillisers dart.

But some weapons are best saved for special occasions such as motion tracking Stinger missiles or the fly- by -wire Nikita rockets. That’s not to say you can’t nuke an unsuspected seagull with either, but you’re probably best to save them for the twenty something foot high mechs and swooping attack jets. Heres the full rundown, that Raiden ends up packing, even though he hasn’t got any pockets. #

M9- Your first weapon. A slow-firing tranquilliser gun with laser sight.
PSG1- This sniper rifle can open an enemy’s head at distance miles. Also handy for discharging bombs.
STINGER- One of the most lethal weapons, the Stinger automatically locks a target and fires a missile.
CHAFF- If you can’t sneak past a spy cam, chuck one of these to scrambles its circuits.
NIKITA GRENADE- A fly-by-wire rocket with extreme limited ammo. You get to guide the baby yourself.
SOCOM- Your basic handgun. It;’s not an automatic, so bash the fire buttons to bust shots pff.
AKS-74U- Ah, the delicious AKS 74U. Sprays automatic fire like a demon, and can even fit a silencer.
PSG1 -T- Specially adapted sniper rifle that shoots tranqualisier darts. Perfect for the pacifist
RGB-6- Six shell grenade launcher. Best used at medium damage to avoid gdamage yourself.
M4- The second of the machine guns. Less desirable than the AK because ammo is scarce.
STUN GRENADE- The grenade that doesn’t hurt anyone. What’s the use? It’s like a chaff generade but for people.

6) The Boss Battles

Metal Gear Solid 1 was famous for it’s ingenoius boss fights. MGS2 will be too.

Remember the Pyscho Mantis battle in Metal Gear Solid. One of the finest moments in gaming history, no doubt about that. And Sniper Wolf and Revovlver Ocelot? Metal Gear Solid 2 has more that it’s fair share of boss encounters, and as usual its never as simple as just spraying lead at the bad guy. If you have played the demo, you will have fought Olga, so you’ll know what we mean.

The bosses are Vamp, Fatman Fortune, Harrier. I don’t want to say any more just in case I ruin it for you.

7) The Dream Team

Raiden has been stripped of his equipment and clothes. He’s alone and on the run from the enemy base. But his Saviour arrives; Snake.

Your heart leaps. One of videogamnings finest heroes has stopped to help you out. Then begins the slort of action movie buddy sequence that John Woo would sell his eyes to make. Covering each others backs, you and Snaketake the fight to the heart of the enemy base. Guards pour in and you cut them down with twin streams of hot lead. You’ve got to be careful not to shoot each other, and Raiden nerves are at breaking point. Trust me, it’s special.

8) The Plot

The final reason why Metal Gear Solid 2 is the best PS2 game yet is it has the most engrossing plot in game history.

What happens in MGS2? What doesn’t. After the brief Solid Snake episode, Raiden is called in to advert a hostage crisis on a giant off- shore clean up facitilty. You soon realise all is not as it seems and every bleep of the Codec brings new info and a different nunderstanding of events.

You’ll have to play the game twice to fully grasp all the twists and turns. The most complex plot ever? Yes. Being a Kojima game, there’s plenty of philosophy too.

Thanks for reading.

Liquid Snake
Fri 22/03/02 at 20:52
Regular
If you haven’t bought Metal Gear Solid 2, or won it on GAD, you are missing out. Here’s eight reasons why Metal Gear Solid 2 will rule 2002.

1) Raiden

Metal Gear Solid has a new main man. Internet message boards are full of that Kojima let Metal Gear fans down by ditching Snake as the lead character. But thuis lot should have engaged their brains before talking. Who’s the real star of MGS1? When a guard is about to kick open the box he’s hiding in, do you think, oh no. Snake’s in trouble? No, you think, I’m screwed, and then you Panic.

Using Raiden allows the plot to twist and brain- bending shapes. Who the hell is this Guy? Good question - he barely knows himself. Snake on the other hand, is a known quantity. You known his past, and because of that you know what his agenda is. Meanwhile, Raiden has got all of Snake’s moves, but hasn’t got his experience. He’s more like you than Snake is. And having Raiden as the top dog means Snake is free to meander through the story at will, exciting you at every time you cross paths.

2) Attention to Detail

No videogame has ever gone as mad for the little details as Metal Gear Solid 2.
In normal games you shoot bushes and nothing happens. In Metal Gear Solid, leaves fall off and lie on the ground. Guards spot them. They wonder what’s happened. You kill the guard. The radio on his dead body crackles- its base wanting you to know why he hasn’t reported in. You break the radio. But its too late. The patrol is on its way.

Look around, and you’ll also spot little details that have been included in case you go looking for them. Try these:

Snake never runs out of ammo cos he’s still got his ‘infinite ammo’ bandanna from MGS1.

Smallest character in MGS2? That will be the flies. Buzzing around lights and old food.

Get splashed looking around in first-person view and water droplets bead in the camera lens.

3) Stealth

Metal Gear Solid 2 takes sneaking around to a new level.

Not getting caught in MGS2 required you to be on top of your game like never before. Guards spot your shadow if it protrudes round a corner. Open wounds leave tell-tale blood spots. Spy cameras are everywhere and suspicious boxes get checked.

The golden rule is to find a disguise and act like what your meant to be impersonating. So when the alarm sounds make sure you search like the rest of them or stay where you are and don’t move whatever. Its a lot to think about, but its what makes Metal Gear Solid 2 so exhilarating.

4) Dog Tags

Every character in the game has a set of dog tags. Sneak up on them and threaten them, and they’ll hand them over. It’s easy with one guard a room. With several, you need to distract or tranquillise the other guards first. There is a different set of dog tags on each level, over 300 to collect altogether.

The more you have, the better secrets you unlock.

5) The Weapons

All new for MGS2 is the first person aiming option that allows you to place an infrared bead right on an enemies head. Squeeze off one round and it’s goodnight - literally, if your using tranquillisers dart.

But some weapons are best saved for special occasions such as motion tracking Stinger missiles or the fly- by -wire Nikita rockets. That’s not to say you can’t nuke an unsuspected seagull with either, but you’re probably best to save them for the twenty something foot high mechs and swooping attack jets. Heres the full rundown, that Raiden ends up packing, even though he hasn’t got any pockets. #

M9- Your first weapon. A slow-firing tranquilliser gun with laser sight.
PSG1- This sniper rifle can open an enemy’s head at distance miles. Also handy for discharging bombs.
STINGER- One of the most lethal weapons, the Stinger automatically locks a target and fires a missile.
CHAFF- If you can’t sneak past a spy cam, chuck one of these to scrambles its circuits.
NIKITA GRENADE- A fly-by-wire rocket with extreme limited ammo. You get to guide the baby yourself.
SOCOM- Your basic handgun. It;’s not an automatic, so bash the fire buttons to bust shots pff.
AKS-74U- Ah, the delicious AKS 74U. Sprays automatic fire like a demon, and can even fit a silencer.
PSG1 -T- Specially adapted sniper rifle that shoots tranqualisier darts. Perfect for the pacifist
RGB-6- Six shell grenade launcher. Best used at medium damage to avoid gdamage yourself.
M4- The second of the machine guns. Less desirable than the AK because ammo is scarce.
STUN GRENADE- The grenade that doesn’t hurt anyone. What’s the use? It’s like a chaff generade but for people.

6) The Boss Battles

Metal Gear Solid 1 was famous for it’s ingenoius boss fights. MGS2 will be too.

Remember the Pyscho Mantis battle in Metal Gear Solid. One of the finest moments in gaming history, no doubt about that. And Sniper Wolf and Revovlver Ocelot? Metal Gear Solid 2 has more that it’s fair share of boss encounters, and as usual its never as simple as just spraying lead at the bad guy. If you have played the demo, you will have fought Olga, so you’ll know what we mean.

The bosses are Vamp, Fatman Fortune, Harrier. I don’t want to say any more just in case I ruin it for you.

7) The Dream Team

Raiden has been stripped of his equipment and clothes. He’s alone and on the run from the enemy base. But his Saviour arrives; Snake.

Your heart leaps. One of videogamnings finest heroes has stopped to help you out. Then begins the slort of action movie buddy sequence that John Woo would sell his eyes to make. Covering each others backs, you and Snaketake the fight to the heart of the enemy base. Guards pour in and you cut them down with twin streams of hot lead. You’ve got to be careful not to shoot each other, and Raiden nerves are at breaking point. Trust me, it’s special.

8) The Plot

The final reason why Metal Gear Solid 2 is the best PS2 game yet is it has the most engrossing plot in game history.

What happens in MGS2? What doesn’t. After the brief Solid Snake episode, Raiden is called in to advert a hostage crisis on a giant off- shore clean up facitilty. You soon realise all is not as it seems and every bleep of the Codec brings new info and a different nunderstanding of events.

You’ll have to play the game twice to fully grasp all the twists and turns. The most complex plot ever? Yes. Being a Kojima game, there’s plenty of philosophy too.

Thanks for reading.

Liquid Snake
Fri 22/03/02 at 21:13
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Where do you get the damn shaver?!?!!?
Fri 22/03/02 at 21:16
Regular
What? Besides, what did you think of it, would I persude you?
Fri 22/03/02 at 21:28
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Oh I didn't read it. I read the paragraphs about Raiden and the plot but for the others I just read the headings.

For Raiden, it just seemed like you copied what Hideo said on the second disc makin of. And for the plot, well, it's hardly the greatest plot ever. It may twist and turn alot but it was nothing on the MGS1 plot as it didn't allow for any stunning cut scenes. I mean yes, they were good but none of them had that same feel of the one where Meryl got shot or where Snipe Wolf died.
Sat 23/03/02 at 09:55
I completely agree with the 8 reasons. MGS2 is the most brilliant game ever. People say it's too easy but has anyone bothered to be a true part of the action? Looking around corners instead of running round (as you can see that there is no guard). There are many other points like this which I will need to think about. 'Basically are people who complain about MGS2 really playing the game? Or they just completing it??'

Has anyone completed European Extreme:
without any rations
without getting caught
no special bonuses to help you out
going it alone all the time (no Snake helping you out on the sniping situation).
no radar at all.
No no saving unless you are asked to? (so that you dont save after every room).
game over if discovered (that will put the pressure on).

I'm not saying that there can be some topics to look at.

when the guards are alerted and after a while go back to normal-instead they always stay alert (perhaps the area you have alerted or even all the level).

guards that go to investigate something hang around if they are suspicious (in other words more developed human behaviour).

Things like this COULD make the game harder but not by much. Points like above can be mentioned and put into the next MGS. But the popints above arent going to make that much of a difference and could make the game less likeable.

The plot.......
I'll argue for that later.

Don't complain about MGS2. Your making it too easy on yourself that's all.

Thank you.
Sat 23/03/02 at 10:16
Regular
I read something like this in CVG magazine.

Hmmmmmm...
Sat 23/03/02 at 10:44
Regular
MGS2 is a very good, but it's not "the greatest game of all time" as many reviews have claimed it to be.
Sat 23/03/02 at 10:58
Regular
"Self-attraction???"
the plot aint that good and it aint the best game on the ps2 gta3 clearly is
Sat 23/03/02 at 15:08
great post Liquid i agree with all those reasons
Sat 23/03/02 at 17:08
Regular
Cheers. I agree with people that say Metal Gear Solid 2 isn't the best game ever, because it isn't long enough, for instance.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.