GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mario - I hardly knew thee"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Super Mario Galaxy'.
Fri 23/11/07 at 13:53
Regular
"THFC"
Everyone who has played Computer Games will know the name Mario, but while he is the most well known and one of the longest lived characters of some of the most memorable games in history, we don't really know that much about him.

I mean we know he used to be a plumber, he has a brother, he likes Peach (but we never know anymore than that) he has some friends, some enemies and that is about it. Details i would like to know about one of my favourite characters are always missing from a game.

I do not know if this is because it is meant to be a game for all ages and so they never go in-depth with stories, but i would like to know more about his past, and im sure i could go reserahc and find some stuff out, but i want these to be put in the plot of Mario games.

His latest single Adventure, Super Mario Galaxy, was a beautifully designed game, with imaginative levels and some fun new characters. But i completed it very quickly, got 63 stars and beat the end boss without losing any life, now i am by no means the best Mario player out there, but i do not see anything worth keeping the game to get all 121 stars. Maybe this is just me, but i think we need some mario games with more to them. Paper mario has tried to do this in some aspects, but they are too much of a stand alone game.

Some of you will disagree with me, but while Mario is one of my favourite games and i have owned nearly every Mario game i just think it's time we saw more. Maybe about his past, Bowser, and even a timeline of some sort, as it just seems to be each Mario Adventure is as if the others never happened.

Now Sonic has grown a lot in past years, they added some well thought out characters like Shadow, then some useless ones like Vector. But at least they had story to it, Shadow was a good twist and is now considered to be a vital part of any Sonic game, if anything, pushing tails out the scene.

I may have missed a game or two where some things get explained, but it would be nice to learn how he got to the Mushroom Kingdom ( and i do not expect people to say watch the horrible 100 minutes which is the Mario Bros movie) but it would make for a great game if there was more depth and story, not just - Peahc is kidnapped, Mario collects stars, over-powers a huge dinosaur who would in life put up a much better fight.

Again i love mario games, and i enjoyed the whole game that is Mario Galaxy, but there is nothing keeping me, i have beaten Bowser and i think it will just collect dust from now on.

I know im changing consoles here but for those of you who have played Final Fantasy 7 - you probably learn more about the characters in one game than i have in Mario's very creditable carrer as a princess saving plumber(never actually seen him fix a drain)

What are your thoughts on this, or are there other characters you think deserve better storylines for, with more depth. Or are you happy with mario being a simple game, as it is. This is not a bad look at mario, just siggestions i think could imrpove his next Adventure. I love mario as much as the next person.
Tue 08/01/08 at 12:24
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Grand Theft Koopa
Tue 08/01/08 at 02:59
Regular
"8==="
Mario needs to start shooting hookers.
Mon 07/01/08 at 19:08
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Mario Kart has been one of the most enjoyable multiplayer games since its inception, and Super Mario World on the snes was, in my view, the pinnacle of video gaming. the learning curve was exemplorary, the presentation vibrant, it was infinitely playable.. it was simply one of the best designed games to date.
Sun 06/01/08 at 10:36
Regular
b-manh wrote:
> o my gosh i think mario kart is a fun game and all but some of
> the missions are really hard

It's a brillant game, loved it ever since the days of snes. Must be on of the best games of all time I would say! any thoughts?
Sun 30/12/07 at 04:18
Regular
"wonder cheat"
o my gosh i think mario kart is a fun game and all but some of the missions are really hard
Sun 25/11/07 at 19:54
"possibly impossible"
I'm quite impressed if you managed to collect all the stars, I mean beating Bowser is fairly easy for a hardened gamer, but that's the point, the extra stars are there for the people who want the challenge.
Fri 23/11/07 at 19:11
Regular
"Mooching around"
As for the game being too easy, I welcome you to the world of Wii :)

Their greatest edge, being easily accessable, seems to have become their only drive.
Fri 23/11/07 at 13:53
Regular
"THFC"
Everyone who has played Computer Games will know the name Mario, but while he is the most well known and one of the longest lived characters of some of the most memorable games in history, we don't really know that much about him.

I mean we know he used to be a plumber, he has a brother, he likes Peach (but we never know anymore than that) he has some friends, some enemies and that is about it. Details i would like to know about one of my favourite characters are always missing from a game.

I do not know if this is because it is meant to be a game for all ages and so they never go in-depth with stories, but i would like to know more about his past, and im sure i could go reserahc and find some stuff out, but i want these to be put in the plot of Mario games.

His latest single Adventure, Super Mario Galaxy, was a beautifully designed game, with imaginative levels and some fun new characters. But i completed it very quickly, got 63 stars and beat the end boss without losing any life, now i am by no means the best Mario player out there, but i do not see anything worth keeping the game to get all 121 stars. Maybe this is just me, but i think we need some mario games with more to them. Paper mario has tried to do this in some aspects, but they are too much of a stand alone game.

Some of you will disagree with me, but while Mario is one of my favourite games and i have owned nearly every Mario game i just think it's time we saw more. Maybe about his past, Bowser, and even a timeline of some sort, as it just seems to be each Mario Adventure is as if the others never happened.

Now Sonic has grown a lot in past years, they added some well thought out characters like Shadow, then some useless ones like Vector. But at least they had story to it, Shadow was a good twist and is now considered to be a vital part of any Sonic game, if anything, pushing tails out the scene.

I may have missed a game or two where some things get explained, but it would be nice to learn how he got to the Mushroom Kingdom ( and i do not expect people to say watch the horrible 100 minutes which is the Mario Bros movie) but it would make for a great game if there was more depth and story, not just - Peahc is kidnapped, Mario collects stars, over-powers a huge dinosaur who would in life put up a much better fight.

Again i love mario games, and i enjoyed the whole game that is Mario Galaxy, but there is nothing keeping me, i have beaten Bowser and i think it will just collect dust from now on.

I know im changing consoles here but for those of you who have played Final Fantasy 7 - you probably learn more about the characters in one game than i have in Mario's very creditable carrer as a princess saving plumber(never actually seen him fix a drain)

What are your thoughts on this, or are there other characters you think deserve better storylines for, with more depth. Or are you happy with mario being a simple game, as it is. This is not a bad look at mario, just siggestions i think could imrpove his next Adventure. I love mario as much as the next person.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.