GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Final Fantasy X-2 - Have Square finally given the fans what they want?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Final Fantasy X-2'.
Fri 01/11/02 at 21:18
Regular
I think what is probably the shock of the year above that of the Rare sale to Microsoft is that Square are developing the first true sequel in the Final Fantasy series, Final Fantasy X-2(pronounced X-2).
To be honest, when Square called a press conference a week or so ago(I think) I thought they were going to show off Final Fantasy XII, as Sqaure are in desperate need of a boost following the somewhat for their standards flop of Final Fantasy XI in Japan(which by the way looks likely to be a PC port in the western world, but with the announcement of Sony's broadband strategy in Europe, you do never know!) a fresh announcement on the stage FFXII was at was expected. I think that I was visably astonished when I saw FFX-2 appear. To be honest I believed from the time I saw the ending of FFX I had a feeling that a sequel might be on the cards, and I think it really deserves and warrants a true sequel. Not only that, I think FFX needed a sequel- it had an ending that really wasnt typical with the Final Fantasy series, it was open ended.
If you look at Final Fantasies 7-9 in particular, you know thats the case. Final Fantasy VII, what happened- Sephiroth was killed by Cloud, everything turns out ok and the planet becomes good again(especially when you see Red XIII at the end of the game). Final Fantasy VIII was a similar story with Squall and Ultimicia- no open endings there. Final Fantasy IX had Zidane coming back to his honey-bunch at the end of the game after what we thought was a heroic death by the main character. What happened with Final Fantasy X? Tidus (I believe) went back to where he belonged in the past 1000 years ago(and probably showed up where his father, Jecht, was supposedly lost. I will make this point clear- Tidus DIDN'T die, he just went home. However, with the destruction of the Yevon faith and Spira ruined at the hands of Sin and Yu Yevon, Spira was basically a world in transition, beginning to embrase the Al-Bhed machina once again which they abandoned because of the Yevon faith and their punishment for relying on technology(what they believed in FFX anyhow) Sin. If you remember the ending, Yuna(probably High Summoner at this point succeding her father Braska) sent out a rallying cry to get the people of Spira to unite and rebuild their devistated world.
That point left a lot of room for expansion, and a definate possibility of a sequel(well in my opinion anyway). I think a sequel to FFX is definately justified, in fact I think it definately deserves it, especially after the overwhelming success that Final Fantasy X enjoyed. I will admit though that Final Fantasy VII, which is still probably my favourite in terms of playability as it was such an absorbing adventure would have been nice to have a follow-up, the magnificent story telling and somewhat atypical ending in terms of all the other Final Fantasy games in the series, I think realistically gives the fans what they want in terms of Final Fantasy X-2. And well Yuna- at least she looks a lot more feminine now and not someone who has just come out of the hippy sixties!!! ;o)
Fri 01/11/02 at 21:18
I think what is probably the shock of the year above that of the Rare sale to Microsoft is that Square are developing the first true sequel in the Final Fantasy series, Final Fantasy X-2(pronounced X-2).
To be honest, when Square called a press conference a week or so ago(I think) I thought they were going to show off Final Fantasy XII, as Sqaure are in desperate need of a boost following the somewhat for their standards flop of Final Fantasy XI in Japan(which by the way looks likely to be a PC port in the western world, but with the announcement of Sony's broadband strategy in Europe, you do never know!) a fresh announcement on the stage FFXII was at was expected. I think that I was visably astonished when I saw FFX-2 appear. To be honest I believed from the time I saw the ending of FFX I had a feeling that a sequel might be on the cards, and I think it really deserves and warrants a true sequel. Not only that, I think FFX needed a sequel- it had an ending that really wasnt typical with the Final Fantasy series, it was open ended.
If you look at Final Fantasies 7-9 in particular, you know thats the case. Final Fantasy VII, what happened- Sephiroth was killed by Cloud, everything turns out ok and the planet becomes good again(especially when you see Red XIII at the end of the game). Final Fantasy VIII was a similar story with Squall and Ultimicia- no open endings there. Final Fantasy IX had Zidane coming back to his honey-bunch at the end of the game after what we thought was a heroic death by the main character. What happened with Final Fantasy X? Tidus (I believe) went back to where he belonged in the past 1000 years ago(and probably showed up where his father, Jecht, was supposedly lost. I will make this point clear- Tidus DIDN'T die, he just went home. However, with the destruction of the Yevon faith and Spira ruined at the hands of Sin and Yu Yevon, Spira was basically a world in transition, beginning to embrase the Al-Bhed machina once again which they abandoned because of the Yevon faith and their punishment for relying on technology(what they believed in FFX anyhow) Sin. If you remember the ending, Yuna(probably High Summoner at this point succeding her father Braska) sent out a rallying cry to get the people of Spira to unite and rebuild their devistated world.
That point left a lot of room for expansion, and a definate possibility of a sequel(well in my opinion anyway). I think a sequel to FFX is definately justified, in fact I think it definately deserves it, especially after the overwhelming success that Final Fantasy X enjoyed. I will admit though that Final Fantasy VII, which is still probably my favourite in terms of playability as it was such an absorbing adventure would have been nice to have a follow-up, the magnificent story telling and somewhat atypical ending in terms of all the other Final Fantasy games in the series, I think realistically gives the fans what they want in terms of Final Fantasy X-2. And well Yuna- at least she looks a lot more feminine now and not someone who has just come out of the hippy sixties!!! ;o)
Fri 01/11/02 at 22:37
Regular
sounds good, i liked FFX, might get it soon because i borrowed it for a week and got 10 hours out of it so i will probably buy it for £20 and then buy FFX-2

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.