GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony confirms PS2 online plans for Europe"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/11/02 at 12:14
Regular
FYI

-

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has revealed that broadband PS2 gaming will launch in the UK next spring, with other PAL territories following over the rest of 2003.
This puts it in direct competition with Microsoft's Xbox Live! service, which launches on 14 March 2003, the anniversary of Xbox's European launch.
From day one, a Broadband Gaming Pack will be available, which will include an Ethernet network adaptor and start-up disc containing demos of forthcoming software. The pack will retail for 44.99, 5 more than the Xbox Live! starter kit.
Sony also revealed an initial line-up of titles due to release during the launch period:
SOCOM: US Navy Seals
Hardware: Online Arena
Destruction Derby Online
Twisted Metal Online
Frequency 2
My Street
ATV Offroad
This is Football 2004
World Rally Championship Online
EverQuest Online
In addition to these titles, some of which are exclusive to PAL territories, Sony announced that a range of network enhanced titles from third-parties including Capcom, EA, Activision, Take Two and Eidos will be available. So far the only third-party game confirmed to support the service is Activision's Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, which includes multiplay for up to eight gamers.
'PlayStation 2 owners with broadband internet access will be able to purchase a Broadband Gaming Pack and immediately start playing a great selection of multiplayer games online,' said President of SCEE, Chris Deering. 'It will be simple to set up, exciting to play and affordable. Our philosophy is to have a very diverse and inclusive platform that will enable content companies, games publishers and ISP portals to provide consumers with the broadest selection of new online experiences and entertainment from a variety of sources.'
PS2 network gaming will be accessible through numerous broadband partners through cable and ADSL, with the first UK trials set to begin by the end of 2002.

Credit - Computer Shopper
Sat 02/11/02 at 19:42
have you heard of the eye toy?Looks good and reveloutionary
Sat 02/11/02 at 16:31
Regular
"Tag as above"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Oi, FatBast... er, Butcher!
>
> When we next gaming?
>
> Or going to the pub...

You know my number fool!! :D

Soon.
Sat 02/11/02 at 16:30
Regular
"Tag as above"
Tóm wrote:
> Long time no see, Fat Butcher.
>
> £44.99? No bloody way am I paying for that! It's more than what
> the Americans pay in dollars!!

Its more than I thought it was going to be, depends if sony are supporting it with servers or weather its down to the game developers.
Sat 02/11/02 at 14:59
its about time online gaming comes to Europe but how does it work?
Sat 02/11/02 at 13:55
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Jive wrote:
> Err....excuse me Tom but that's always happened, basically anything
> priced in US $ is a straight forward conversion to UK £. ie
> $39.99 = £39.99, we always get ripped off, yeah I know it's
> annoying but that's life for you!

I know that - I'm not stupid.

What I was saying is that the americans (as far as I know) are paying $39.99. So, naturally, I expected us to pay £39.99, or maybe less if Sony decided to let us benifit from exchange rates (like I believe Microsoft have with Xbox live). But charging us MORE than the dollar to pound conversion is taking it too far.

And you only get demos with it? The Americans got a free version of Twisted Metal Online if they sent off.
Sat 02/11/02 at 13:47
"High polygon count"
Oi, FatBast... er, Butcher!

When we next gaming?

Or going to the pub...
Sat 02/11/02 at 13:42
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Tóm wrote:
> It's more than what the Americans pay in dollars!!

Err....excuse me Tom but that's always happened, basically anything priced in US $ is a straight forward conversion to UK £. ie $39.99 = £39.99, we always get ripped off, yeah I know it's annoying but that's life for you!
Sat 02/11/02 at 12:37
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Long time no see, Fat Butcher.

£44.99? No bloody way am I paying for that! It's more than what the Americans pay in dollars!!
Sat 02/11/02 at 12:14
Regular
"Tag as above"
FYI

-

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has revealed that broadband PS2 gaming will launch in the UK next spring, with other PAL territories following over the rest of 2003.
This puts it in direct competition with Microsoft's Xbox Live! service, which launches on 14 March 2003, the anniversary of Xbox's European launch.
From day one, a Broadband Gaming Pack will be available, which will include an Ethernet network adaptor and start-up disc containing demos of forthcoming software. The pack will retail for 44.99, 5 more than the Xbox Live! starter kit.
Sony also revealed an initial line-up of titles due to release during the launch period:
SOCOM: US Navy Seals
Hardware: Online Arena
Destruction Derby Online
Twisted Metal Online
Frequency 2
My Street
ATV Offroad
This is Football 2004
World Rally Championship Online
EverQuest Online
In addition to these titles, some of which are exclusive to PAL territories, Sony announced that a range of network enhanced titles from third-parties including Capcom, EA, Activision, Take Two and Eidos will be available. So far the only third-party game confirmed to support the service is Activision's Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, which includes multiplay for up to eight gamers.
'PlayStation 2 owners with broadband internet access will be able to purchase a Broadband Gaming Pack and immediately start playing a great selection of multiplayer games online,' said President of SCEE, Chris Deering. 'It will be simple to set up, exciting to play and affordable. Our philosophy is to have a very diverse and inclusive platform that will enable content companies, games publishers and ISP portals to provide consumers with the broadest selection of new online experiences and entertainment from a variety of sources.'
PS2 network gaming will be accessible through numerous broadband partners through cable and ADSL, with the first UK trials set to begin by the end of 2002.

Credit - Computer Shopper

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.