GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Psychological Effects of Gaming?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/11/02 at 14:25
Regular
In our past we've all watched various films which have, albeit often for short periods of time, changed our lives. I found that as a young child this was particularly true. I'd watch a good film and soon afterwards i'd find that my ultimate goal in life would be to follow in this films footsteps.

I attended two or three years worth of Karate classes purely as a result of seeing Daniel and Mr Miagi in the 'Karate Kid' films. (true!) I was disappointed when my sensei wasn't like John Creese and didn't teach us slogans such as "Show no mercy!" and "Fear has no place in the dojo!"

My ambition to be a Racing Driver (which every young boy has anyway) became almost compulsive after watching Tom Cruise's film 'Days of Thunder'. I have to say that this dream never disappeared, it was just simply put on hold until i was 17 and passed my driving test. (1 month later i wrote off my car.... Dammit Cruise!)

As i entered my good old teenage years, films still had this effect. That classic film 'White Men Can't Jump' inspired me and my friends to play basketball at high school at lunchtime on a day to day basis whilst simultaneously spouting various US street slang such as "yo' mama", "b***h" and "chump".

Goodfellas and the Godfather films, as well as Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs inspired us to think that school didn't matter as when we grew up we could make all our money from killing people, selling drugs and running protection rackets.

However, what i want to know is can video games have a similar effect on us? In the past, games like Sonic the Hedgehog and Street Fighter were great games but were not inspiring in this way. Nowadays, next generation consoles are offering us games of a quality that years ago we never believed would be possible. Many games are becoming very close to films with top storylines and famous characters. Films like this include various RPGs and FPSs, but particularly 3rd person games such as GTA3, Max Payne, MGS2 and the Resident Evil series.

So, if games are becoming more like films, does this mean that they will start to have the same psychological effects on our lives that certain films have had? Obviously, this isn't possible with all games as many titles aren't realistic and unfortunately there is no such job as 'Alien-hunting missionary marine soldier', well... not yet anyway!

But games such as GTA3 and State of Emergency could have such effects on us. We could be left believing that there are alternatives to living out normal lives and that there is fun and money to be had from crime.

Alternatively, with more realsitic sports games and driving simulators than ever, could these games be affecting our lives as well. Games like GT3, Toca Race Driver and Colin McRae 3 could leave us with dreams of becoming a professional racing driver. Pro-Evolution Soccer or FIFA World Cup 2002 could leave us thinking that we could make the England team if we tried hard enough!

Perhaps computer games are not quite yet at the stage where they have the power to influence our dreams and goals and the way we lead our lives, but surely they can't be far off? In the not too distant future, we may be seeing some games as 'playable films' rather than video games.

Thanks For Reading

The_Flying_Hawkstar
Sun 03/11/02 at 11:00
Regular
"Damn dirty apes!"
I'm not being sarcastic when I say that that post should win a GAD for every person who replied to it! ( in that case you've already won one)

Bravo Bravo!

Vote Knick Knack for Notable ( me saying your post was good is not some sleazy scheme to get you to vote for me, unlike some people...
*hints at DW*
Sat 02/11/02 at 14:25
Regular
In our past we've all watched various films which have, albeit often for short periods of time, changed our lives. I found that as a young child this was particularly true. I'd watch a good film and soon afterwards i'd find that my ultimate goal in life would be to follow in this films footsteps.

I attended two or three years worth of Karate classes purely as a result of seeing Daniel and Mr Miagi in the 'Karate Kid' films. (true!) I was disappointed when my sensei wasn't like John Creese and didn't teach us slogans such as "Show no mercy!" and "Fear has no place in the dojo!"

My ambition to be a Racing Driver (which every young boy has anyway) became almost compulsive after watching Tom Cruise's film 'Days of Thunder'. I have to say that this dream never disappeared, it was just simply put on hold until i was 17 and passed my driving test. (1 month later i wrote off my car.... Dammit Cruise!)

As i entered my good old teenage years, films still had this effect. That classic film 'White Men Can't Jump' inspired me and my friends to play basketball at high school at lunchtime on a day to day basis whilst simultaneously spouting various US street slang such as "yo' mama", "b***h" and "chump".

Goodfellas and the Godfather films, as well as Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs inspired us to think that school didn't matter as when we grew up we could make all our money from killing people, selling drugs and running protection rackets.

However, what i want to know is can video games have a similar effect on us? In the past, games like Sonic the Hedgehog and Street Fighter were great games but were not inspiring in this way. Nowadays, next generation consoles are offering us games of a quality that years ago we never believed would be possible. Many games are becoming very close to films with top storylines and famous characters. Films like this include various RPGs and FPSs, but particularly 3rd person games such as GTA3, Max Payne, MGS2 and the Resident Evil series.

So, if games are becoming more like films, does this mean that they will start to have the same psychological effects on our lives that certain films have had? Obviously, this isn't possible with all games as many titles aren't realistic and unfortunately there is no such job as 'Alien-hunting missionary marine soldier', well... not yet anyway!

But games such as GTA3 and State of Emergency could have such effects on us. We could be left believing that there are alternatives to living out normal lives and that there is fun and money to be had from crime.

Alternatively, with more realsitic sports games and driving simulators than ever, could these games be affecting our lives as well. Games like GT3, Toca Race Driver and Colin McRae 3 could leave us with dreams of becoming a professional racing driver. Pro-Evolution Soccer or FIFA World Cup 2002 could leave us thinking that we could make the England team if we tried hard enough!

Perhaps computer games are not quite yet at the stage where they have the power to influence our dreams and goals and the way we lead our lives, but surely they can't be far off? In the not too distant future, we may be seeing some games as 'playable films' rather than video games.

Thanks For Reading

The_Flying_Hawkstar

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.