GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Banned and Forgotten?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/03/02 at 19:05
Regular
Hi. How many times have you seen a respectable regular crack under the pressure and copy something off another site to win a game/film, whether it be a review, a selection of cheats or something else that they feel may win them a GAD. The reason they do this is simple. SR are the leading sit in internet games and out of the kindness of their hearts they give out free games - and i can say that i know of no other sites that have such generosity for such copetitions every day.

Any way i started to drift from the point there, but with such brilliant prizes it isnt really surprising that people cheat so much to try and win those valuable GAD's - it seems that some people will go to all lengths to win a prize, and also something which ive heard a lot of is people who dont think reviews deserved to win, but when i look back at some of the latest threads/ reviews that have won especially from the likes of Pro Evo and Natbuc i feel that their reviews really did deserve to win.

So ive established that GAD's are like golduct and everyone wants a piece of them. But do you find it really annoying when a user gets banned and then nearly instantly respawns with a different email adress and a JAT? In just the last week i have seen 2 people do this, and since being a member of SR i have seen this done a lot of times. Its obviously a very big problem trying to block these people who constantly swear or copy reviews form such site as dooyoo etc but i think it rweally needs to be addressed and leave the people who really want to contribute to this site and make it a good place for gamers. Basically sift through and leave the "nice" people :). I think that there are ways in which people could be stopped from respawing. Im not saying that SR probably havent thought of this already but an email adress is unique. A 5 year old can get about 10 hotmail accounts in about 20 minutes so therefore SR need an address database. By doing this they could then make sure that every user HAS to input their address on sign up and then they cant change it easily e.g. they cant put in a fake address and then change it for a GAD and therefore only people that really need to change the adress can do so with staff permission e.g. when peole move house. By having this database the likelyness of people respawing will be low as if they put in a friends addres how many people do you know who would actually admit to recieving the game and not just keeping it for themselves!

Im not having a dig at SR by no means and i think you do a great job, but its relly annoying when JAT's pop up of people who just got banned and its really an issue for the future - and it could be made so that you have to sign up before you use the forums (most of us are SR club members anyway) and this way the person would use a valid addressas they would want their SR mags!

Any way id like to take this chance to say thanks to the good reviewers. I named pro evo earlier but im talking really about all the top GAD winners who have been awarded for their amazing reviews and some of the regulars who come up with some great reviews...ocassionally! Nope only kidding but there is some real talent out there!

Any way hope you like my ideas SR and i relaise although you have a lot of work and it may not be practical that these improvements would make the site a lot better for us dedicated users and get rid of the annoying JAT's (not all of them!) that just sign up to take the mick

Thanks fo taking the time to read this long thread!

Steve
Wed 27/03/02 at 12:45
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
er-non wrote:
> if someone comes up with a good idea for my name i will change

no-ner

well, that's my best idea...
Wed 27/03/02 at 01:50
Regular
"everyone says it"
Change your bloody name.

People associate you with me.

*spits at mirror*
Sun 24/03/02 at 13:23
Regular
"Bah"
if someone comes up with a good idea for my name i will change
Sat 23/03/02 at 11:15
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
er-non - your name is pretty confusing. I would recommend a change.
Sat 23/03/02 at 10:39
Regular
"Bah"
some good points have arised!
Fri 22/03/02 at 20:14
Hey, good post.

Good idea about the address list, but their are a few problems. Firstly people can just spell their address slightly differently- unless you have a human checking all the new addresses, it'll get through.

Also people can always use a mate's address- people will go to some lengths to wreck what is a great place to chat about games.
Fri 22/03/02 at 19:38
Regular
"That's right!"
er-non wrote:
> Copied??? What do you mean i just wrote this myslef and im no aware of a
> similiar topic?

---------

Notice the joking nature of his post
Fri 22/03/02 at 19:07
Regular
"Bah"
Have i done something snuggly that is not allowing me to win as ive put some real effort in over my reviews and even if you look at my recent posts you will see this - is it becuase of my name?
Fri 22/03/02 at 18:35
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Sniper copied once, if I remember right...

I have before, once. And I didn't win for 3 months after that, despite many attempts.

Hell hath no fury like a snuggly scorned.
Fri 22/03/02 at 09:24
Regular
"Bah"
G®åpô²ºº² wrote:
> You could actually input another address, say your granny's! then she can send
> you your GAD claim. There are indfinate possibilities to get around getting
> banned. Anyway, stob bumming up to other regulas - its not going to help you
> win GAD! you need to do a good review! steven!

Yer i usually stick to reviews but with only one GAD and 39 reviews. Oh well maybe myMax Payne review may win but i thought id put some more input into the chat forums. Any way my ideas where only just a guide and already people have added to this and made them better. Some good ideas have surfaced

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.