GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"msn messenger, not game related..but you guys might know whats going on :("

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/11/02 at 16:07
Regular
about 2 weeks ago i was on msn messenger and a box poped up, like these fake advertising things saying "you computer is low on memory, click here" but this time it was bigger and it said something like "credit card options, do you wish for a free credit card..etc, etc....if so send and e-mail too ...such and such"
i took this as someone messing around so i decided to click the cross and carry on.
But then it happened again a few days later, this time saying (west nile virus, there is a new virus, if you wish for info on this e-mail..such and such...i once again clicked the droos as i thought it could be a scam.

anyway nothing happened in ages and it just happened again, this i wasnt on msn messenger.
once again came up with "msn messenger warning" this time saying do you wish for a free diploma, no questions asked etc etc..ring this number..such and such.

i dont know what to do, any idea what it is, and if so what to do? nothing else is going wrong on the computer :S
Sat 02/11/02 at 16:07
Regular
about 2 weeks ago i was on msn messenger and a box poped up, like these fake advertising things saying "you computer is low on memory, click here" but this time it was bigger and it said something like "credit card options, do you wish for a free credit card..etc, etc....if so send and e-mail too ...such and such"
i took this as someone messing around so i decided to click the cross and carry on.
But then it happened again a few days later, this time saying (west nile virus, there is a new virus, if you wish for info on this e-mail..such and such...i once again clicked the droos as i thought it could be a scam.

anyway nothing happened in ages and it just happened again, this i wasnt on msn messenger.
once again came up with "msn messenger warning" this time saying do you wish for a free diploma, no questions asked etc etc..ring this number..such and such.

i dont know what to do, any idea what it is, and if so what to do? nothing else is going wrong on the computer :S
Sat 02/11/02 at 16:18
Regular
"gsybe you!"
The pop up ads?

They're everywhere!
Sat 02/11/02 at 16:26
Regular
But its not a real popupad, it appears no matter what site i am on, or doesnt that mater anymore?
Sat 02/11/02 at 16:30
Regular
"gsybe you!"
It dosen't matter I don't think. I always get Dell ones on whatever site I'm on.
Sat 02/11/02 at 16:33
Regular
could be spyware from a program youve installed like Kazaa, if so you need to clear most of your cookies and uninstall the evil program
Sat 02/11/02 at 23:24
Regular
Don't worry Boz, you're not alone. I've suddenly started getting these pop-up windows, as you describe them, from messenger and I can only assume that it's a way Microsoft have implemented of keeping MSN free.

I shouldn't worry about it, just remember what that cross is :D.
Sun 03/11/02 at 20:33
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
by the way, the old msn was way better than the new kiddie one, it weas old skoo and retro. like retro studios only more so, and less metriod
Sun 03/11/02 at 20:37
Download Ad-Aware from http://www.webattack.com/get/ adaware.shtml to get rid of the ads, and TweakXP (or Tweak(whatever version of Windows you're using) and use the Pop-up banner there to block pop-ups effectively. It also prevents banner ads from loading on any website which has them.
Sun 03/11/02 at 20:41
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
do any of you know where i could download the old skoo msn messenger, i liked it so much better
Sun 03/11/02 at 20:42
Someone was trying to hack into my credit card accounts so my mum had to install this virus thing. Now we dont get squat...I hope...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.